public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MCB fires resident choreographer!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 6:36 am 

Francis asked for more details on the other MCB thread and today's Miami Herald obliged.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.herald.com/content/today/entertainment/arts/digdocs/061760.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.herald.com/content/today/entertainment/arts/digdocs/061760.htm</A> <P>As I am no insider to MCB, it is better for others to discuss.<p>[This message has been edited by shag (edited July 15, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: MCB fires resident choreographer!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 8:56 am 

This is sad if this, as the Herald reports it, is about personal issues.<P>According to the story, Gamonet had already started choreography for two works next season. I wonder if other companies would be interested in purchasing those ballets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 9:02 am 

Image <BR>Jimmy Gamonet De Los Heros<P><BR>Read his bio from MCB's website:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.miamicityballet.org/web%20pgs/gamonet.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.miamicityballet.org/web%20pgs/gamonet.htm</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 1:33 pm 

I found Mr. Gamonet's page<BR> <A HREF="http://www.gamonet.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gamonet.com</A>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 2:36 pm 

This article makes Mr. Gamonet's situation more clear.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.herald.com/content/today/opinion/columnists/balmaseda/digdocs/052850.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.herald.com/content/today/opinion/columnists/balmaseda/digdocs/052850.htm</A>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 3:25 pm 

Thank you for posting the July 20 Herald article. This sequence of events has been a bit like constructing a jigsaw puzzle. With each new piece of information, the picture begins to emerge....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 5:14 pm 

Wow! Talk about politics getting mixed up in the arts. My wild guess is that Gamonet's partner's political leanings did not agree with that of someone on the MCB board...<P>And, welcome, mariano. Thanks for that article.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 5:54 pm 

Thanks Azlan,<P>Still, it does not excuse his dismissal. Patrons such as myself would like to continue seeing his works presented in Florida, especially in Palm Beach. "We" haven't done anything wrong to have someone take that away from us.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 2:03 am 

From my limited knowledge of the situation, I have to say this makes very sad reading.<P>There seem to be similar broad characteristics to the Glasco affair. That is, an artist being fired for apparently non-artistic reasons.<P>Do others think this is a valid reading of the affair? One thing is for sure, a company artist deserves time to organise an exit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 2:24 am 

Dear All<P>I have done some consolidation with the Miami preview thread, so that the important issue of Mr Gamonet should take place in one topic.<P>Here are the relevant postings that I have moved:<P>********************************************<P>mariano<BR> Member <BR> posted July 21, 2000 04:43 PM <P> Jimmy Gamonet de los heros is originally from Peru, not from Cuba.<P> For more of Mr. Gamonet go here<BR> <A HREF="http://www.herald.com/content/today/opinion/columnists/balmaseda/digdocs/052850.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.herald.com/content/today/opinion/columnists/balmaseda/digdocs/052850.htm</A> <P> IP: Logged<BR> Azlan<BR> Administrator <BR> posted July 21, 2000 07:18 PM <P> Thank you for that clarification, mariano.<P> IP: Logged<BR> mariano<BR> Member <BR> posted July 21, 2000 07:39 PM <P> Francis,<BR> For what I read, Mr. Gamonet's works have always been highly praise, and more so his resent works for MCB.<BR> During his 14 years affiliation with Mr. Villella and the Miami City Ballet, Mr. Gamonet has been responsible for the<BR> creation of half the company’s repertory, and therefore, also what the company is today. It should be obvious to<BR> all of us that the elimination of his position has nothing to do with neither his performance nor his product,<BR> instead, I believe this is the result of a much egotistic, confused, and insecure mind (minds) within the<BR> organization.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 4:41 am 

Mariano<P>While the "insecure minds within the organization" certainly is possible and I dare say, probable, Gamonet was a part of this organization for almost 15 years. I would submit that there is another view. <P>Like all large companies, there is talk of politics within the organization and many who have left have felt somehow treated unfairly. Mr. Gamonet would have been part of that process.<P> He was secure due to the fact that he was the only chor in the company, whether you like his work or not (and I don't! I think, while pretty, not terribly original), some have said he may be getting his just desserts.<P>The press has been universially favourable about Gamonet but there is another view should be considered. MCB has a way of loving you one minute and then, suddenly, not.<P>I really don't have an opinion one way or another, but I thought before Gamonet was cannonized, people be made aware that there is an alternate view.<BR> <P>[This message has been edited by shag (edited July 23, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by shag (edited July 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 1:39 pm 

<BR>As I re-read my post, I can see where this could go on a tangent I did not intend.<P>#1 - I've never met Gamonet, but MY understanding is he's quite a good guy. I have seen his chor, but I am not fond of neo-classical style ... That's me, sorry to all of the NYCB types out there.<P>#2 - I do live in Miami (as I also see you do) and have heard about many political battles at MCB (Else Bourne being one off the top of my head). I think that there MAY be more to this than the spin that's being reported in the Miami Herald and on this Board. Gamonet is getting a lot of sympathy right now and I only question whether it is appropriate.<P>#3 - Villela does not chor. much, if at all and thus Gamonet's position seemed secure.<P><BR>#4 - Miami City Ballet is the most important arts organization in Florida and it MUST succeed, otherwise Florida will again be a second rate arts area. I don't like Balanchine, but MCB has incredible dancers, incredibly trained and have given Miami credibility.<P>Anyone in the arts community in Miami knows that MCB plays hard ball when it comes to funding, exposure, media coverage etc. That's their right but when they stumble, they shouldn't cry about the backlash.<P>My point is that there are two sides to this story and the only one getting out is that Gamonet was screwed b/c of politics not of his own making. That MAY not be all of it. As I was in the Glasco deal, I only wish that all sides are considered rather than a waterfall on one side of the issue.<P>I apologize if my intent was perceived otherwise.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 9:06 am 

Being somewhat acquainted with the organization, and rather you like or dislike its style, I must remind you that what you’ve seen of it today, has not only depended on the "well known" artistic director’s name, but also, on other very important elements: the repertory and its coaching. I assure you shag, as anyone somewhat acquainted with the company’s artistic doings would, it has "never" been a one-man job.<P>I believe MCB is an important arts organization in Florida. I don’t think Gamonet has to be canonized. I just hope he would remain in Miami.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 9:47 am 

I could not agree more. What most people forget is that MCB is only 15 years old and before its birth, Miami was a much less important place for the arts. Many people love both the rep of MCB and specifically Mr. Gamonet's work and we need the diversity in the community.<P>As an aside, I was disappointed with the letter to the editor in yesterday's Miami Herald from the Pres. of the Bd of MCB completely disavowing any reason other "artistic differences" for the firing of Gamonet. It does not pass the straight face test.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 10:12 am 

I agree