public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Ballet of Canada - Spring 2008
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:00 pm 

We’ll…it’s that time of year again. Time for our annual NBoC CriticalDancers’ Posting Drive! Don’t make me bring out Goldie Gardner, Peter Hall and Stratton Rawson! You know who you are-You CriticalDance fence sitters who contribute to ‘views’ but do not post. Think of your post as a gift of your time to support all the good things we’re doing for the NBoC topic. Posting…no matter how many words, contributes to the quality of CriticalDance and the web.

This is your opportunity to program CriticalDance. Your post is a vote for quality web programming. The CD Web Programmer is standing by to convert your thoughts into beautiful pixels. Don’t forget, you have many options here in regards to color, size, links,
Quote:
quotes,
:roll: emoticons, :roll: and links to pics! As a regular contributor I promise to match each post with a response. Be more empowered. BE MORE! With your support, CD will enrich the lives of all dancers and fans everywhere.

[Post edited to remove material that violates courtesy policy] We racked up a total of 4,650 views and counting along with 51 posts. Below is the breakdown:

Michael Goldbarth – 45 posts
Kate – 3 posts
Mom2 – 1 post
Nikiya – 1 post
Francis Timlin – 1 post

I expect a big improvement in new CD posters for the NBoC topic. Post or I’ll send Goldie to your home to promote the value of web participation! Go ahead, be bold, spring into 2008 with your 1st post :!: :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:00 pm 

I reached into my mailbox today and discovered something rather lumpy. Lo and be hold it was from the National Ballet of Canada! I received a pair of pointe shoes autographed by my favorite ballerina, Heather Ogden as part of my subscription package! Woo Hoo! Life is good!! I’m whipping up prose giddy with happiness as I’m sipping G.H. Mumm’s champagne from where else….Heather Ogden’s pointe shoe!:mrgreen:
Yum!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: From the grapevine?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 am 

[Edited by the moderator to remove information on dancer departure NOT confirmed by a press office... ] This piece of "grapevine news" has yet to be verified publicly but it did come from the "inside" so to speak. I also read today that Karen Kain is stepping down as head of the Canada Council to devote all her time to the company.http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2008/03/28/kain-resignation.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:03 pm 

Big thanks to pjp123 for dialing into the web and surfing onto CD to answer my plea for new posters! I could care less, as rumors abound in the world of sports. Why not ballet?

It’s no big secret that ballet circles in Toronto have been buzzing with talk of male dancers leaving for pastures with more green and opportunities for greater artistic growth. Male principal dancers have been an endangered species of sorts for the past few decades. Both could be gone or see an increased workload for guesting opportunities abroad.

As for Karen Kain stepping down as Chair of the Canada Council for the Arts, there was a lot of talk about her holding this position as being the proverbial conflict of interest. Most of which surfaced when the National toured their Nut via the Cineplex silver screen. It was no big deal for me; however, I would prefer to see someone in the position who is willing to travel more.

Last edited by Michael Goldbarth on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:57 am 

Check out these San Francisco Treats in the lovely forms of the National Ballet of Canada!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:16 am 

The Dean of Canadian Music-Dance Critics, William Littler, reports on the National's trip to Frisco and reminisces of more jet trekking days when the NBoC raked up a lot more Air Miles. Did they have Air Miles back then?

Quote:
The National Ballet of Canada used to perform all over. Founding artistic director Celia Franca made what she once described as a devil's bargain with legendary impresario Sol Hurok to mount Rudolf Nureyev's lavish production of The Sleeping Beauty and tour it internationally with the temperamental superstar as headliner.

Though her strategy came in for some local criticism – in the pages of the Star, I described the National Ballet as the parsley around Nureyev's salmon – it succeeded in opening doors for the company, not least those of New York's Metropolitan Opera House, and giving its dancers an international profile.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:55 am 

The NBoC has a sweet deal for subscribers who renew or become new subscribers before April 18th-Not only do you save 10% off your subscription but…you also get a free ticket to the National’s season ending June 17th Mad Gala including champagne reception! All you have to do is call 416 345 9595 and tell them Karen sent you.

Warning: You’ll be viewing the Mad Gala from the nosebleed seats! Oxygen masks are mandatory viewing the ballet from these heights! I will be bringing my opera glasses.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:02 pm 

A final reminder that posting of information on contracts/firings/hirings is NOT permitted unless confirmed publicly in the form of a press release, mention in a reliable news source or oral confirmation from press rep or the dancer in question with explicit permission to release the information.

Premature release of such information has the potential to be harmful to dancers and companies. Dancers have lost jobs because of information becoming public prior to the finalisation of contracts.

Any information posted without proper sources will be deleted. Any concerns regarding this policy should be taken up with the moderating staff - the forim is not the appropriate place to address issues with moderation - please limit the discussion to matters concerning NBoC.
Kate (moderator ksneds)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:28 am 

Thanks for the post! It’s always gratifying to have someone new join the discussion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 am 

The Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto is hosting a pointe shoe exhibition until September 28th of this year. You can view video footage and check out pointe shoes worn by ballet luminaries like Marie Taglioni, Karen Kain, Margot Fonteyn, Carla Fracci, and Rudolf Nureyev.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:05 am 

Susan Walker writes about the Bata Pointe Shoe exhibit and pointes out some of the not so fun stuff of the pointe shoe.

Quote:
Pointe shoes drove technique in the ballet world. The new capacity for rising a foot-length taller as if balancing on delicate pins meant that choreographers such as Petipa began to produce more and more steps – pas de bourrées and fouettés – for the new shoe. Soon as much as 40 per cent of a performance would require women to sustain permanent injuries and chronic pain (only recently have men ever worn pointe shoes) by dancing in a very unnatural stance.

…Nor does the exhibit give any recognition to the bunions, dropped metatarsals, tendinitis and stress fractures that are the lot of the career dancer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:05 pm 

I would just like to comment that the below courtesy of Susan Walker was a tad over the top. I challenge Susan Walker to uncover all these pointe shoe fetish web sites? The article has a very negative connotation. So much so, it makes me pause to wonder why Susan Walker has devoted so much of her life promoting an art that causes so much pain and suffering for women and apparent delight in men fulfilling their pointe shoe fetish fantasies?

Quote:
“Some aspects of ballet shoe history are not touched on in the Bata show. One doesn't have to wander far on the Web to find that pointe shoes are a favourite of fetishists. The pink satin shoes are shiny and evoke girlhood. The pain caused by wearing them has a certain S&M appeal and fetishists attracted to the pointe shoe would be equally thrilled by the sight of a woman in an 8-inch spiked heel that set the toes in the same position.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:59 am 

Natasha Gauthier talks to Jennifer Fournier about hanging up her pointe shoes.

Quote:
Fournier is retiring from the National Ballet at the end of this season. It's a difficult decision, but one that every ballerina has to make sooner or later. As with pro athletes, a dancer's career comes with a best-before date. Some are blessed with either exceptionally resilient bodies or artistic gifts so extraordinary they compensate for diminished technique. Some stubbornly postpone their departure until long past their prime. Others, like Fournier, hang up their pointe shoes while still young and healthy enough to enjoy a whole new life, post-dance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:03 am 

The National Ballet School Spring Showcase will feature Serenade, Yondering, Yang and Rocket Girl. See the ballet stars of tomorrow May 20 to 24!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:44 am 

Natasha Gauthier reviews the NBoC performing the bubbly Merry Widow in Ottawa.

Quote:
What's bubbly, intoxicating, a little decadent, very romantic, and puts everyone in a giddy mood?

Champagne is one right answer; the National Ballet of Canada's production of The Merry Widow is another.

Profile E-mail