public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morphoses / The Wheeldon Company -- New York; City Center
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:40 pm 

I just returned from tonight's performance of this "new" company.

From some of my prior reviews, it should have been clear that I wasn't very impressed by the Wheeldon pieces I'd seen previously, and I must admit that I bought tickets to his new company's performances more for the dancers scheduled to appear than to see more of Wheeldon's choreography. [Seeing Alina Cojocaru for only a brief pas de deux is the ultimate tease.]

But I was wrong - or what I've previously seen was not representative of Wheeldon's work. Simply put, this was an Event - a remarkable evenings of superb choreography, performing, and theater, coupled with an audience that was well aware of the treasures they were seeing and clearly enthralled by everything they saw.

More, if and when I get a chance. But I'm writing this now to give those of you in the New York area who may have had similar impressions of Wheeldon's work a heads up. This is not an event to pass up.

Tonight's program was the last of "Wheeldon's Greatest HIts, Vol. I"; the second program (Vol. II), which repeats some of the pas de deux but neither of the major pieces, will conclude the brief season tomorrow (matinee and evening) and Sunday (matinee). I don't know if that program will be as spectacular as this one was. But if I were anywhere near New York (say, flying from Los Angeles to San Francisco), I'd recommend a detour to one of these performances.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:12 pm 

It's my understanding that Alina Cojocaru was supposed to play more of a role in the City Center appearance, but

a) Johan Kobborg, with whom she was scheduled to dance, is injured, so it made more sense to bring in another couple to perform the pdd

b) she was scheduled to do 'Romeo & Juliet' back in London. Not sure whether it was original casting or a switch due to injury & illness (Kobborg's and others) Due to Kobborg's injury, Stephen McRae, a young dancer stepped into the role of Romeo. Chances for younger dancers to perform the big roles at Royal Ballet are far and few between, so it was a special event and by all accounts, his debut was sensational.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 am 

From Marcia Siegel in the Boston Phoenix:
Quote:
Chris and friends
Wheeldon’s Morphoses at Lincoln Center

.... Christopher Wheeldon’s Morphoses made its New York debut last weekend ... with two programs of dances mostly by the 34-year-old English choreographer. If long-term stability could be secured by the warmth and affection that flowed from the City Center stage to the audience and back again, Morphoses would be all set.
By the end of the second program, Wheeldon seemed a less distinguished talent than I’d thought.

more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:42 pm 

Robert Gottlieb in the New York Observer on the Wheeldon programs:

NY Observer

Joel Lobenthal in the New York Sun:

NY Sun

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:45 pm 

Joan Acocella in the New Yorker:

New Yorker

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:42 pm 
Will Christopher's company include classical ballet as well or just modern (his) works?