public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smuin Ballets/SF Fall Season
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2000 11:27 am 

Image <BR>Michael Smuin's "Carmina Burana"<P><BR>Blair Tindall begins her review of Michael Smuins' "Sapphire Rain," "Carmina Burana," and "Medea" quite provocatively:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B><A HREF="http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/stories_feattop/x06smuin_20001106.htm" TARGET=_blank>Smuin is best when he keeps it simple</A></B><BR>Choreography for 'Sapphire Rain' reaches beyond music's scope, while the classic touches outdo the modernistic movements <P>By Blair Tindall, Contra Costa Times<P>MICHAEL SMUIN'S BUSLOAD of Vegas showgirls took a wrong turn at the Cowell Theater and headed to Belize Friday night.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><B><A HREF="http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/stories_feattop/x06smuin_20001106.htm" TARGET=_blank>The full article</A></B><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited November 06, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Smuin Ballets/SF Fall Season
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 1:12 pm 

Well, here's another review by the Contra Costa Times' sister publication, the San Jose Mercury News:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B><A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/smuin7.htm" TARGET=_blank>Smuin's `Carmina' soars; `Sapphire Rain' fails to shine</A></B><BR>BY ANITA AMIRREZVANI, San Jose Mercury News<P>In its latest show, Smuin Ballets/SF takes its audience on a whirlwind trip to ancient Greece, medieval Germany and the modern Caribbean. As with any overseas tour, one measure of success is how deeply it immerses you in local cultures. At Friday's show, the experience ranged from profound to shallow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><B><A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/smuin7.htm" TARGET=_blank>The full article</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:35 pm 

I remember several things - even full length ballets - that Smuin did for SF ballet when he was Artistic Director there. My remaining impression of him was that he doesn't lack of imagination - but focus. Also that he never seemed to pick memorable music - in fact his imagination overwhelmed the music. So what I saw never worked for me...........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 8:29 am 

Another review:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B><A HREF="http://buzz.insidebayarea.com/S-ASP-Bin/ReformatSQLIndex.asp?puid=4398&spuid=4398&id=31628233&ro=0&IssueRange=20001106,20001106" TARGET=_blank>"Sapphire Rain," the newest work from Smuin Ballets/SF graces the stage at Fort Mason's Cowell Theater</A></B><BR>By Jeanne Fogler, Oakland Tribune<P>Audiences were treated to an exotic touch of color at Fort Mason's Cowell Theater last weekend with the world premiere of ``Sapphire Rain," the newest work from Smuin Ballets/SF.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><B><A HREF="http://buzz.insidebayarea.com/S-ASP-Bin/ReformatSQLIndex.asp?puid=4398&spuid=4398&id=31628233&ro=0&IssueRange=20001106,20001106" TARGET=_blank>The full article</A></B><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited November 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 3:03 pm 

I don't want to be harsh, but I find Smuin's large audience mystifying. I don't think he pushes himself hard enough artistically--I would classify what he does these days as "entertainment." Why does his company do so well at the box office? Is it simply because of his diverse credentials (SF Ballet, Tony, and Emmy sure seem like a winning combination). And is anyone going to see him in conversation with Evelyn Cisneros at "Words on Dance" tonight?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 3:36 pm 

Well, Smuin sells story ballets, with titles that people can recognize -- they know what to expect from names like "Carmina Burana," for example. I believe Ben Stevenson once said, perhaps facetiously, that all ballets should be named "Swan Lake." Image<P>Smuin <I>is</I> good at creating "entertainment" ballets. I suspect most people who go to see his ballets are entertained by the flashiness, rather than the quality of the ballets or the dancing for that matter. Most dance enthusiasts I know, at the mention of Smuin's ballets, go "ehhh" and wave their palm to signify "so-so".<P>Good question, Belinda, I wonder who else thinks the same.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 9:53 pm 

Okay, I confess... I went to the Words on Dance event tonight... or shall we call it the Smuin Love Fest...<P>The audience loved him. SF loves him. What does this mean? I left the theater scratching my head and then remembered that he is good these days at creating "entertainment," to use Belinda's description, and not so much art. No surprise then that a healthy percentage of Smuin Ballets/SF's income comes from ticket revenue. Smuin himself said this evening that he creates ballets for the audience, not the critics, who weren't too positive about his newest ballet currently being performed in SF.<P>I might add that I think my friend and I were bruised from jabbing each other at every other video clip or answer from Smuin. Boy, Smuin sure loves guns and smoke. I lost count but everytime a gun popped up on screen, jab. Another, jab. The audience? They clapped deliriously, happy to see their hero getting his chance to tell his story.<P>Azlan<P>PS - My friend is a veteran of the SF and NY ballet world, from the inside out. She definitely knows her stuff, including the art of the timely jab.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:06 am 

A review in the SF Chronicle:<P><BR><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/11/17/DD122904.DTL" TARGET=_blank>Smuin Ballets Coming Into Its Own</A></B><BR>'Medea' showcases company's strengths<BR>Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:22 pm 

Southern California fans will have the opportunity to be entertained by Smuin's "Carmina Burana." Follow this link to the <a href=../../../ubb/Forum13/HTML/000150.html target=_blank>press release</a>.

Profile E-mail