public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 am 

I just noticed Mrs. K rounded up the top price for a nice FAT 200 clams! Me thinks taking a date to the ballet and spending $400 is a tad much. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:54 am 

Newsflash! I’ve learnt from undisclosed sources deep within the National Ballet of Canada that all $200 seats come with seat warmers, vibrating back rubbers, and in case of an emergency your seat will transform itself into a flotation device. Of course, I’m totally FULL OF IT! Never thought I’d see the day where a ticket to the ballet would go for $200. Who knows, 10 years from now they could cost $300?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:58 am 

Susan Walker either finally saw the truth or her editor wouldn’t publish her story until it was old news. Toronto is no hot bed for dance. If not for the NBoC that dance van would be movin’ out of town.

Quote:
If there was a barometer for dance, Toronto would seem to be suffering under a heavy low pressure blanket.

In the last 12 to 18 months, two dance festivals folded, the long-standing Harbourfront Dance Season was abandoned and the Hummingbird Centre saw three out of four top-flight dance shows for 2006-07 tank at the box office.

I was a little surprised at the below:

Quote:
Even the National Ballet of Canada has seen some loss of interest in sales of its high-end subscription packages...

I usually see quite a few fans in the Grand Ring. Interesting story. I wonder if she called Mrs. K for permission to print it?

Quote:
...and a spring season that was notable for the empty seats at the Four Seasons Centre.

Sorry to say I told you so but I saw this coming as soon as they announced the 2006/2007 season.

Quote:
Next season there will be no February ballet. Will fans hold out until March break to get their fill of ballet? Some Canadians flee to Florida in March. The Spring program will be pushed back to June. Looking into my Crystal Ball I see the below attendance figures for next year’s subscriber programs.

The Sleeping Beauty = 95%

Song of the Earth & Symphony in C = 90% It’s a shame this program will only receive 6 performance dates compared to 14 for Sleeping Beauty.

The Taming of the Shrew = 80%

A Footstep of Air & Opus 19/The Dreamer & Voluntaries = 65%

Balanchine’s Don Quixote = 80%

The Four Seasons, Polyphonia & New Work by Matjash Mrozewski = 75%

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:08 pm 

Casting for the NBoC's Western Canada tour has been released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:01 am 

Me thinks you're a little premature on the casting (empty).

BTW: I'm reporting from Salzburg!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:09 am 

They finally posted the casting! Sadly, there is no ballet in Salzburg at this time of the year. How come no Heather Ogden as Giselle?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:54 pm 

they have also given a press release about You Dance, the performances done by the NBOC apprentices.

Unfortunately, the website has not yet been updated adequately - new apprentices are not mentioned, and depending on where one clicks Mr. Ebe is listed both as an apprentice and as a corps member (he is now corps).

I guess it's just me that it bothers! Clearly it doesn't bother KK!!

Oh - speaking of Ms Kain - GUESS who we saw in the audience at Lincoln Centre recently for a performance of the Mark Morris Company? Yes, that's right, KK herself (I almost tripped, did a double take)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:09 am 

I hear you mom2! There are 2 kinds of people in this world: Those who care and those who do not care. The people who do NOT care should be separated from people who do care to live in their own uncaring, sick little world.

BTW: If you ever travel to Salzburg, they have no smoking laws. People even smoke in grocery stores! Unbelievable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:07 pm 

A review of Giselle (Greta Hodgkinson and Guillaume Cote) in the Saskatoon StarPhoenix by Joanne Paulson:

StarPhoenix

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: You Dance and NBoC apprentices
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:30 am 

I'm a new member fo the Critical Dance community and noticed your discussion. You might be interested in the You Dance site since it explains the additional duties of the apprentices this year and does have the bios of the new apprentices. It's at http://www.youdancecanada.ca. Don't mean to intrude. PS I'm not with the company only a ballet patron. P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:55 am 

Thanks for the above and welcome to CD! I’m back from Salzburg & Berlin. I received the below email courtesy of Mrs. K and Mrs. G. Sadly, I have no idea which is the lesser evil in the upcoming provincial election. My mom, who passed away last November, actually received a voting registration card; I received a notice from CRA to prove that my house taxes reported was 20k (they added an additional zero!), and the government wants my father (83) to serve as a juror when he has cancer and can barely walk. I could go on…. If you read a newspaper, you know there is something very wrong.

In regards to the below email, do you really think it matters who gets in? They will take care of their own first and foremost. Sadly, they won’t apologize for anything. It’s a scary world we’re living in.

Quote:
A Message to all Supporters of the Arts and Culture in Toronto

Operating Grants to the City’s Arts and Culture may be threatened

The City of Toronto is reported to have an annual budget shortfall of $575 million. In August City Council voted to defer a motion to raise revenues to cover this deficit through two new taxes; a land transfer tax and a vehicle registration fee, that together would have added $350 - $375 million to the budget. The deferral is to last until October 22, after the Provincial election.

Faced with this crisis the city is choosing to cut services and programs that are at the heart of our civic quality of life, including programs for children and seniors at over 100 community centers, public library services on Sundays, and public transit service. Next on the block are likely to be City operating grants to hundreds of large and small arts organizations; theatres, art galleries, museums, choirs, orchestras and chamber groups, local festivals, and dance companies, including The National Ballet of Canada.

The City of Toronto benefits in a myriad of ways, economically and qualitatively from its rich and diverse cultural life. Toronto’s grants to the arts are already among the lowest per capita of any major Canadian city. Cutting this lifeline of annual funding could literally cripple or destroy the livelihood of over 100,000 artists and the organizations that employ them. The culture sector is estimated to contribute over $8 billion annually to the city’s GDP.

If you would like to learn more about the issue, please visit the city website www.fairtaxes.ca.

If you believe that the City is at a turning point in its ability to sustain the quality of community services, accessible public transit, and the cultural life that we all treasure, we urge you to e mail the Mayor and all members of City Council today, with copies to Premier Dalton McGuinty, Opposition Leader John Tory, and NDP Leader Howard Hampton. As members of a civic society we believe it is necessary to speak up now to defend the viability of our city and our arts. You can use the links below to express your views on this vitally important and urgent issue.

Contact your Councilor at http://app.toronto.ca/im/councillors.jsp.
Contact Premier McGuinty at dmcguinty.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
Contact the Hon John Tory at john.tory@pc.ola.org
Contact the Hon Howard Hampton at hhampton-gp@ndp.on.ca.

We care deeply about Toronto, and we appreciate your support,

Karen Kain,
Artistic Director
The National Ballet of Canada

Kevin Garland
Executive Director
The National Ballet of Canada

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:29 pm 

It appears that Betty Oliphant and Celia Franca required the services of a Musical Director in the National Ballet of Heaven. George Crum, who served as the National’s Conductor/Music Director from its first ballet until 1984, passed away at the age of 80 on September 8th.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:11 pm 

Grania Litwin reviews Giselle & Polyphonia for the National’s trip to Nanaimo, B.C.

Quote:
Greta Hodgkinson is a remarkable actress and will-o'-the-wisp dancer, who transforms herself from an innocent girl into a heartsick woman betrayed by her lover, and finally a madwoman. The playboy prince who seduces her, danced last night by Guillaume Coté, is another compelling actor and a dancer with fine balance and line.

My next post will be for National Ballet of Canada Autumn 2007. It’s time to waive good-bye to summer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:22 pm 

NBoC's Western Canada tour arrives in Vancouver, BC this evening (Wednesday, September 26, 2007). Early in the tour, Grania Litwin interviewed artistic director Karen Kain over a bad cell phone connection. The interview is printed in today's Vancouver Sun:

Vancouver Sun

Profile E-mail