public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Ballet of Canada Summer 2007
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:15 pm 

It’s time to welcome Summer into the National Ballet of Canada Summer 2007 Topic! I decided to take Michael Crabb’s advice and attend a 2nd sitting of Don Q – even though I was less than enamored with what I viewed at the opener. Call me an old softy, a fan of Mr. B, and big admirer of Mrs. Elusive Muse…I actually have to admit to liking it more upon a 2nd viewing! Sadly not enough to give this renewed Don Q a thumbs up but enough to recommend seeing it to satisfy your curiosity of how Suzanne Farrell revived history from little more than the windmills of her mind, video with no sound, and a score that was never recorded for posterity onto CD. Ahem to that!

Those who attended the Ballet Talk were all ears as Monsieur Crabb regaled them on the historical merits of Don Q as well as its connection to the Elusive Muse and the Balanchine legacy. Bravo! Ticket sales were obviously a disappointment as Monsieur Crabb pulled a Ron Popeil with a ‘Tell a Friend’ offer to see Don Q at half off! Crabb winked as he advised patrons the half price special was only for Ballet Talkers but that the NBoC would not be verifying the claims they could have half off for a 2nd viewing.

I understand the National’s theory that 50% for a seat sold is better than an empty seat but I wonder how those who paid full fare will feel? Curiously, for Sleeping Beauty, the National recanted their half off offer, open only to subscribers, because tickets were going faster than a Porsche 911 Turbo at 90% off! I never thought I’d see the day Michael Crabb pitching tickets as cheap as chips à la his look-alike, David Dickinson!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:15 am 

There is a lovely article by Susan Walker in the Toronto Star about workplace romance when the workplace is a ballet company.
Quote:
There are currently eight confirmed couples at the National Ballet. One pair, Guillaume Côté and Heather Ogden, are frequent partners onstage as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:00 am 

All that coupling between dancers presents some interesting future possibilities should any potential children take an interest in ballet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:34 am 

I wonder if Michael Crabb reads CD? I just want to go on the record that MC is better looking than DD. They do share similar characteristics in height, hair style, nose, and rather large ears!

I hope we have some new posters for the Summer. I’m a little tired of the same old contributors-Mostly ME!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:01 pm 

The NBoC finally announced promotions for next season! Tanya Howard (BRAVO!), Etienne Lavigne, and Bridgett Zehr have all been promoted to First Soloist. Alexandra Golden and Tina Pereira move on up to Second Soloist. Laura Bolton, Louisa Rachedi, Leonie Gagné, Leslie Schroeter, Courtney Gibbs, Dong Hyun Seo, Jacob Niedzwiecki and Dallas Blagg are leaving the company ‘to pursue other interests.’

I do hope Laura Bolton and Louisa Rachedi will catch on with another company. Anybody know :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:53 pm 

Thanks for the heads up Michael!!

I am SO very happy for Robert Stephen of the corps - he's a boy from my little suburban town!!! :D

Dallas Blagg was on "So you think you can dance" but apparently didn't make the finals - so we'll have to watch for him in other company news!

Beyond that - QUITE a lot leaving it seems... and BRAVO to those promoted!!

WHEN will they announce apprentices????

m2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:05 pm 

FINALLY - it seems that there has been news!!

http://www.youdancecanada.ca/artists/index.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:09 pm 

Well, that's good to know they're being officially billed as apprentices. When the news first broke within the school a few months ago, it seemed as if the "youth company" members would be in a category just below apprentice level, but this is great that they'll be actual apprentices. The group features two just-graduated students from the school, another 3 from the post-secondary program, and the final member from outside the school, I believe. Kudos to all! What a wonderful training/finishing opportunity for these fine performers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:41 am 

According to Paula Citron the National ended their season with a bang for their Mad Hot Ballet Gala.

Quote:
It was a nice surprise to see retired principal dancer Rex Harrington back on stage as the lead man in Elite Syncopations, and he really held his own with the younger generation. New second soloists Tina Pereira and Alexandra Golden sparkled in Symphony in C. The male corps de ballet is really showing depth. James Leja has beautiful ballon and amazing technique while Nan Wang, Aarik Wells, Brett van Sickle and Edward Tracz all display multifold classical and contemporary skills.

The National Ballet is looking very, very good these days.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:02 am 

After some digging I unearthed the below NBoC news!

Guillaume Côté will dance as the Prince for ABT this week with Xiomara Reyes as Cinderella.

Aleksander Antonijevic and Bridgett Zehr will dance at the 6th Annual Gala of International Ballet Stars to support ballet in Cincinnati.

It appears former corps de ballet dancer Laura Bolton will pursue a career in acting as evidenced by this Eye Weekly story.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:44 am 

ABT critics south of the border have not warmed up to James Kudelka’s Cinderella.

Joel Lobenthal was lukewarm on Cinderella:

Quote:
There is much humor, but not a lot of wit. Mr. Kudelka has borrowed liberally from both Nureyev's " Cinderella" for the Paris Opera Ballet, which was set in 1930s Hollywood, and Maguy Marin's for the Lyon National Opera Ballet, from which Mr. Kudelka has taken the puppetlike spirits that visit Cinderella in her *******.

The New York Times was a little less warm in its critique:

Quote:
Mr. Kudelka, however, is just not a dance maker of any distinction. He can show you Cinderella toward the end of Act I, sketching her first few happy steps on point, but he can’t sustain this for a full dance phrase, let alone for an entire dance, and he can’t when she’s hobbled, either.

Clive Barnes wants to give Cinderella the boot:

Quote:
But however good the dancing - and however entrancing Prokofiev's score - we're left with the plebian and taste-challenged vulgarity of Kudelka's staging and the sheer banality of his choreography.

Apollinaire Scherr was the only reviewer who had a good time:

Quote:
The Tim Burton of ballet, Kudelka is that rare choreographer who uses the ring of nature and the supernatural in Prokofiev's score to shape the heroine's domain and imagination. (Under Charles Barker's baton the orchestra was bright without ever being brassy.)

I think all of the above critics would be best served to read Michael Goldbarth’s take on Cinderella!

Quote:
Ever present throughout the ballet is James Kudelka paying homage to Ralph Kramden, Archie Bunker, and Martin Crane in the rather rustic form of Cinderella’s antique chair. Despite the well preserved chair and delicious preserves from Cinderella’s garden, this Cinderella IS modernized. One trip to this Kudelkaized Cindertale and you’ll mothball your memories of Ben Stevenson’s and Sir Frederick Ashton’s antique creations right back into the fabled age of once upon a time—where they belong!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:33 pm 

Did anyone else get asked to participate in NOBC's online survey?

I did - had an e-mail on Friday night....no response yet.

While I'm on the subject, still no final word about my seat for next season. They changed the section my seat is in AFTER I sent in my renewal. No conclusion to the story yet, as far as I'm aware.

Hmm!!

m2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:46 pm 

I am devastated! I was not asked to participate in any survey. Egad….what is the ballet world coming to? Don’t they know who I am?

As for your view for 2007/2008, I wish you the very best of luck. There is a rumor the air for you may be a tad thin! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:16 pm 

Gee thanks Michael - what a way to make me feel better!!

My seat is currently something like E8, so if I DO lose oxygen NBOC might just lose a subsriber also.

I don't have the big donation bucks others do, so perhaps it's just not going to be my lucky season.

Rush tickets are looking better and better.

m2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:06 pm 

FINALLY had an e-mail back. funny about the timing!!!

I am NOT happy with NBOC subscriber admin - can't believe they treat patrons in such a condescending manner.

Grr. :twisted: :evil:

Short story is - yes I will be a subscriber again...but this is more a reflection of the dancers and art that I want to support. We'll see what another year brings.

Grr.

m2