public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diablo Ballet, Berkeley, 11/5/99
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 10:12 am 

Once again, Diablo Ballet did a wonderful job of presenting contemporary ballet works, this time in the massive Zellerbach Hall in UC Berkeley. The audience roared its approval of all four works but I think KT Nelson's "Walk Before Talk" got the most applause because of the upbeat and rythmic music by Michael Nyman (interestingly, Petronio also premiered a Nyman score this weekend) and the pace and intensity of the choreography -- it was just simply "fun" and uplifting to watch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Diablo Ballet, Berkeley, 11/5/99
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 11:43 am 

Are you going to do a review?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 11:59 am 

I'll try...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 2:28 pm 

My point was simply that your reviews have been known to spark debate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 3:17 pm 

Now, now, we don't want to go down that road again...<P>It *was* however an amazing performance, full of momentum and excitement. It left the crowd delirious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 5:33 pm 

<BR>So did you like Rita Joe? How did it work with out the rest of the ballet? Did they have the movie on in the background? Tell all!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 6:54 pm 

Lucy, they only did the provocative pdd from The Ecstasy of Rita Joe, so it wasn't the full multimedia production that you're "used" to. Still, I liked it -- Corinne Jonas was very sexy; I understand she died her hair black and put on red make-up to make herself look Native American. And we got to see almost all of her partner, Kyongho Kim, as he stripped down to his underwear. This being only the pdd, Kim received his applause in his underwear. Funny. I thought they did a wonderful job but then again I have nothing to compare to. Unfortunately, taken out of context, the audience appreciated this work the least.<P>BTW, Marina Eglevsky set this work. Her husband, Salvatore Aiello, danced the original, as you probably already know. Image<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 11-06-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 8:12 pm 

Yes, in 1970 something it was ground breaking stuff to a 16 year old. I had never thought or seen ballets that addressed issues of the day or let dance be seen in any other light than Hmmmmmm? how do you say........ ancient? Well this was the best <BR>thing that I had ever seen. Multimedia...folk/rock music, a man allowed to dance almost nude? A bed on stage? Well this to me was more interesting than learning another version of the Black Swan variation. All the years that I watched this from the wings I wished that I could have danced Rita Joe. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 1999 12:12 pm 

I was intrigued by Rita Joe pdd, even more so after I read the program notes. I think it would have had more impact in the original context, with multi-media etc. I thought Corinne did a great job, but that Kyongho did not seem to relish his role. Walk Before Talk really left the audience with an upbeat finale. All in all, Diablo presented a stunning variety of dances, each with a different mood. I was impressed by the innovative choreography which brought things beyond the limits of traditional ballet. The show was engaging and definitely not boring!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 1999 6:28 pm 

You know, the more I think about it the more I feel that this is the kind of ballet program I would introduce to a first-timer. It was fun, exciting and fast, with a little sex thrown in. And it wasn't really pop either because each piece was a work of art.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 11:20 am 

Could someone give me some information on the Diablo ballet Company.<BR>A friend who had been with Ballet West joined this group this year.<BR>I was wondering about where they are located, what they perform, how much etc etc.<BR>Also, how large a company is it.<BR>And who runs it.<BR>I have only just recently heard of this company.<P>Wow, to see Marina Eglevsky's name again.<BR>I took classes with her at Mme. Nevelska's in NYC back in the 60's. And at her dad's school on Long Island.<BR>Memories....etc...weird.<BR><P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 6:09 pm 

bek, is your friend Chris Young? You see, Diablo Ballet is a very small company, of about 11 to 12 dancers of Principal/Soloist calibre. The Artistic Director is Lauren Jonas, a former dancer with Milwaukee, Oakland and Southwest (you can check out my interview of her at <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/interviews/interviews.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/interviews/interviews.html</A> or <A HREF="http://www.voiceofdance.org/Insights/insights.trans.inter.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.voiceofdance.org/Insights/insights.trans.inter.html</A>.) The Asst Artistic Director is Nikolai Kabanaiev, formerly of the Kirov. Also on the artistic staff is Sally Streets, Marina Eglevsky, and KT Nelson. They tend to perform mixed rep programs of classical and contemporary/modern ballet. I think their website lists their repertory: <A HREF="http://www.diabloballet.org" TARGET=_blank>www.diabloballet.org</A> <P>Frankly, I myself didn't know they were a professional company until Michael invited me to join him and his wife to a free 4th of July show at Concord Pavilion. We were all impressed. Since then, I've seen the name pop up in several magazines as being an up-and-coming ballet company to watch.<P>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 11-16-1999).]<P>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 11-16-1999).]<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 11-16-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 1999 1:05 pm 

azlan,<BR>Yes, Chris Young is my friend. We have known each other for about 10 years.<BR>His other half is still with BW, and Chris really got fed up with the garbage in BW.<BR>And there is a ton of it!<BR>What a pain. Actually ballet as it was is totally changed in SLC now. It used to be a nice place to be for ballet and dance, now it is like the 60's in NYC. Very bad.<BR>Besides my health, I gave up the studio without too many regrets due to these political changes and nasty happenings here.<BR>I, couldn't in good faith, train and inspire young children to dance in this type of atmosphere. I grew up with it in NYC, and when I began to teach, decided I would not continue with the attitude of uncaring..<BR>It was great in SLC for the 20 some odd years I had my school, and also when I was in BW under MR. C. But, now the new AD has taken a time warp back to Balanchine era.<BR>And the schools and kids in the valley are suffering for it. So is the company..<BR>Lost 14- or more members in June.<BR>Oh, dear...off topic.<BR>Diablo Ballet...Where do they rehearse?<BR>I am trying to get in touch with Chris, but things are so busy.<BR><P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 1999 6:02 pm 

Did someone mention my name? I'm glad I got Azlan to come along to that Diablo performance back in July. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised, but Azlan was positively thrilled. <P>Bek - Speaking of Ballet West, I think Marcie Ryken of Oakland Ballet was with them for awhile. Did you happen to know her?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 9:06 am 

bek, I sent the word out. Don't be surprised if Chris or someone at Diablo contacts you in the next few days.<P>BTW, what do you do now if you don't teach? If the politics weren't so bad, would you consider going back into DanceWorld in some form? Or moving to a different city with a better situation.

Profile E-mail