CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Margot Fonteyn Special on TV
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 6:59 am 

Although I've always admired Nureyev tremendously as a dancer, I tended to think of him as so egotistical that he didn't think of anyone else but himself. But I changed my opinion of him after reading Fonteyn's own autobiography and then after hearing that it was Nureyev who paid for much of her expenses in her later life. Medical expenses for Arias were of course staggeringly high and long term and then her own cancer care was also so expensive. Nureyev paid for much of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 7:38 am 

Then there were the people who thought he should have done more....he died a very wealthy man and she was in great need.<P>But who's to say? <P>Some believe that she gave him {although I think it was de Valois's idea) his great opportunity by asking him to dance that first program with her. And she did. <P>However, she also gained, an entire second half of her career. They both gained by it. They both would have been famous without one another. But of course with one another, they transcended fame, and became legend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 11:14 am 
THANKS everyone for additional comments.<BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:32 am 

This discussion is fascinating to me. I have always been mystified by pictures of Fonteyn and Arias together. She was so very beautiful and he was, well, not. His interests in life seemed vastly removed from those of a ballet dancer. I suppose opposites attract, but it always seemed an odd match to me. And then apparently he treated her badly. Seems like she could have done a lot better. :-)<P>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:54 am 
I'm sure Sissonne;maybe she feltshe was getting old(ridiculous)and that any man is better than no man-as far as getting married is concerned-women seem to fall for that "logic"no matter how talented,wealthy or gifted they are on their own;or even MORE so as Henry Kissenger once said "power is the best aphrodisiatc."And powerful he was.<BR> Almost the same reason why Jackie married Aristotle Onasis(another marriage that went on the brinks).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:22 am 

According to her autobiography, she fell in love with him ten years before she actually married him. He was married the first time she met him, but by the second time he was getting a divorce, if I remember correctly - it's been many years since I read the book.<P>She states that she fell in love with his mind, and after he was injured she stayed in love with his mind. I thought it of tremendous pathos that the beauty of her movement paid for the care of his paralysis. <P>In any case, she certainly epitomized the part of the vow "in sickness and in health"....how many others would have simply turned his care over to a nursing home?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:57 am 
...and considering how badly he treated her(Basheva)some probably would have turned him in without a thought...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:06 am 

Fonteyn first met Arias as a teenager when he was a student in Britain. She always claimed it was love at first sight. Years later he pursued her enthusiastically, despite the fact that he was then married.<P>At the time of the shooting it is now widely believed that Margot was on the point of divorcing him. I remember reading at the time that Arias had been shot by a friend, not a political rival (the official line). In fact the friend was the husband of a woman with whom he was having an affair.<P>I met Tito Arias twice and although he was a quadriplegic and confined to a wheelchair he still came across as witty, intelligent and amusing. He also had that rare knack of making you feel as if you were the most interesting person he had ever met. No wonder he was so successful with women ! <P>His disability never stopped his womanising and one of his mistresses actually committed suicide when he died. Margot appears to have remained faithful throughout their marriage. Talk of affairs on her part seem to be pure speculation as no one has yet come up with any names for these purported lovers.<BR>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:02 am 

Cassandra, I based my remark about her having had the occasional affair on a sentence from Alastair Macaulay's pocket biography of Fonteyn: "In Europe, she had at least one secret affair". This was after Arias was shot, while he was womanising in Panama and she was still frquently away from him. I consider Macaulay to be a very responsible biographer, so I believed it. I would not be so inclined to believe anything that was said in the more sensationalist biographies of Nureyev, which mention something similar. (I don't mean what they say about her and Nureyev, which quite simply nobody really knows the truth about.) It seems to me that the truth about other relationships she might have had will probably emerge if and when a full length biography of Fonteyn (long overdue) is published.<P>It is very interesting that you met Arias. I saw him from time to time at Covent Garden, and can well believe that he was very charming.<p>[This message has been edited by HelenB (edited July 31, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:10 am 

I had to edit the above post because I had carelessly referred to Alastair Macaulay as Alastair Marriot, who is someone else entirely. My apologies to anyone who read it before I edited it, and wondered what on earth I was talking about. (You may wonder that anyway, of course!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:32 am 
THANKS Cassandra and HelenB;I guess dancing WAS her true happiness.Though you wish someone like her would have had happiness in her personal life too.