It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Francisco Ballet 2007 Season - general
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:59 am 

Quote:
S.F. Ballet to premiere new 'Firebird,' present Robbins' 'Fancy Free' in 2007
Rachel Howard, Special to The San Francisco Chronicle
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A world-premiere "Firebird" by Yuri Possokhov, the acquisition of Jerome Robbins' beloved "Fancy Free," and the return of sumptuous productions of "The Sleeping Beauty" and "Don Quixote" will highlight San Francisco Ballet's 74th season, the company announced today. The eight repertory programs running January through May will also include two company premieres of works by Christopher Wheeldon and an encore for William Forsythe's startling "Artifact Suite."

For more, go here.

2007 Season
Program 1: Balanchine's "Divertimento No. 15," Wheeldon's "Carousel (A Dance)" and pas de deux from "After the Rain," Forsythe's "Artifact Suite." Jan. 30-Feb. 10.

Program 2: Tomasson's "Blue Rose," Bintley's "The Dance House," Possokhov's "Firebird." Feb. 1-11.

Program 3: "The Sleeping Beauty." Feb. 24-March 3.

Program 4: Taylor's "Spring Rounds," Tomasson's "Chi-Lin," McGregor's "Eden/Eden." March 13-24.

Program 5: Morris' "Pacific," Robbins' "Fancy Free" and "Other Dances," Tomasson's "The Fifth Season." March 15-25.

Program 6: Adam's "Night," Tomasson world premiere, de Mille's "Rodeo." April 4-21.

Program 7: Lubovitch's "Elemental Brubeck," Mrozewski world premiere, Balanchine's "Symphony in C." April 11-24.

Program 8: "Don Quixote." April 28-May 5.

Last edited by RaHir on Tue May 16, 2006 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:01 am 

Helgi Tomasson particpated in a podcast about the upcoming season with Leba Hertz, deputy arts and entertainment editor for the Chronicle. You can listen here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:55 pm 

More on the subject:

Quote:
S.F. Ballet's season spotlights 4 premieres

By Mark Whittington
Mercury News

Full-length versions of ``Don Quixote'' and ``The Sleeping Beauty'' highlight the San Francisco Ballet's 2007 season. more

PS - Excuse the tardiness. I was supposed to cover for LMCtech who nomally does SF papers but I was distracted in NYC.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:42 pm 

Just an FYI that Sergio Torrado has left SF Ballet for Houston Ballet.

http://www.houstonballet.org/Inside_Hou ... do_Soloist

Brief mentions of him are also in the [url:http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3050]Houston Ballet thread[/url].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:50 pm 

Wow! Just noticed that Wayne McGregor has an SFB commission for 2007. Given that he has a premiere with La Scala in June 2006 and another RB premiere in the 2006-7 season, there is a case to be made that he is currently the most sought after UK-based ballet choreographer, and he comes, of course, from the contemporary dance world.

A comparison could be made with Mark Morris, but whereas, contrary to opinions in some quarters, Morris has always straddled the two dance forms, McGregor's background is very firmly in the non-ballet world.

The critical moment came around 8 years ago when he was invited to make a work with RB dancers in evening and weekend sessions and the result of the workshops, "Symbiont(s)", was shown in an ROH studio and left everyone gasping with wonder and went on to win a best new dance award.

Can't wait for the feedback on the SF performances.

What think the other SFB fans on the new season?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:22 pm 

Stuart Sweeney wrote:
What think the other SFB fans on the new season?

I'm excited about seeing Fancy Free, and I'm curious to know who'll play the Jerome Robbins part. I've enjoyed the performances I've seen, but I've always been disappointed in the third sailor's variation and wished I could have seen Robbins. (But who knows? I might have been disappointed in his performance, too, although I doubt it.) I know it's supposed to look Latin, but it didn't when I saw it.

I'm looking forward to the premieres, of course, and to The Dance House and Symphony In C. I'm glad new productions are performed 2 years in a row, since I missed "The Fifth Season" last time around.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:44 am 

For the opening night gala (before the regular season starts) let's hope we get to see Davit Karapetyan and Vanessa Zahorian dance their award-winning (Best Senior Couple, USA International Ballet Competition 2006) pas de deux, "After Having Been," choreographed by SFB's Nicolas Blanc. Congratulations, Davit, Vanessa and Nicolas! It's great to see local favorites given international recognition (although none of the news reports I saw identify them as members of San Francisco Ballet).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The final list for the season with all the blanks filled
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:21 pm 

From the SF Chronicle.

Quote:
Program 1: "Divertimento No. 15," "Aunis," "Artifact Suite." The overwhelming hit of last season, William Forsythe's "Artifact Suite" has quickly become a signature Ballet work, showing off the corps' verve in a vast, stretched-to-the-limits piece of postmodern provocation. "Divertimento No. 15," to Mozart, is essential Balanchine, elegant and heart-stirring. Jacques Garnier's "Aunis" offers virtuoso male dancing inspired by French folk tunes.

Program 2: "Blue Rose," "The Dance House," "Firebird." Former principal dancer and now resident choreographer Yuri Possokhov's banner contribution this season is a new "Firebird," using Stravinsky's majestic score. David Bintley's "The Dance House," an elegiac allegory of the AIDS epidemic, features stunning visual design. Helgi Tomasson's "Blue Rose" uses Elena Kats-Chernin's tango and Baltic-influenced music as a canvas for dance-hall fun.

to see the rest of the 7 programs....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:23 pm 

An interesting article about the young talent in the company, who I often find more compelling than the old-timers...

Quote:
Next Generation ready to shine
Rachel Howard

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Ask the younger members of the San Francisco Ballet which dancers they admire, and Muriel Maffre often tops the list. As this inimitable ballerina moves on, a new generation of stars is ready to make their own marks.

The company's lower ranks are bursting with talent, but perhaps no dancer arrived as auspiciously as Nutnaree Pipit-Suksun ("Ommi" to friends), a Thai-born product of England's Royal Ballet School. She graduated straight into a San Francisco Ballet soloist contract in 2004.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:20 pm 

Casting for the Gala:

Opening Night Gala Opening Night
1/24/2007,8pm

AUNIS
Music: Tape
Casting: Nicolas Blanc*, Pascal Molat*,
Pierre-François Vilanoba

PAS DE DEUX from
THE SLEEPING BEAUTY, ACT III
Conductor: Martin West
Casting: Vanessa Zahorian, Gonzalo Garcia*

LAST BREATH
Music: Tape
Casting: Davit Karapetyan

PAS DE DEUX from
7 FOR EIGHT
Piano: Michael McGraw
Casting: Nutnaree Pipit-Suksun, Pierre-François Vilanoba

FIVE BRAHMS WALTZES IN THE MANNER OF ISADORA DUNCAN
Piano: Roy Bogas
Casting: Molly Smolen

SOIRÉES MUSICALES
Casting: Kristin Long, Joan Boada*

-INTERMISSION-

PAS DE DEUX from GISELLE, ACT II
Viola: Paul Ehrlich
Casting: Lorena Feijoo, Tiit Helimets

BITTER TEARS
Countertenor: Mark Crayton
Casting: Muriel Maffre*

L’AIR D’ESPRIT
Casting: Tina LeBlanc, Gennadi Nedvigin*

PAS DE DEUX from AFTER THE RAIN
Violin: Roy Malan
Piano: Michael McGraw
Casting: Yuan Yuan Tan*, Damian Smith*

4TH MOVEMENT & FINALE from SYMPHONY IN C
Casting: Sarah Van Patten*, Garrett Anderson*, Elana Altman*, Ruben Martin, Rachel Viselli*, Moises Martin*, Elizabeth Miner, Jaime Garcia Castilla* and corps de ballet

* Designates premiere in a role.
Casting subject to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:19 pm 

Can't wait, the gala is one of the best evenings of dance in SF, at least for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:50 pm 

Slight change for Symphony in C:

4TH MOVEMENT & FINALE from SYMPHONY IN C
Casting: Frances Chung*, Garrett Anderson*, Elana Altman*, Ruben Martin, Sarah Van Patten*, Moises Martin*, Elizabeth Miner, Jaime Garcia Castilla* and corps de ballet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:55 am 

There were many wonderful performances at the gala, but the best for me was Tina LeBlanc's variation in L'Air d'Esprit. Is there anyone in the world with fleeter feet?

I was surprised to hear a fair amount tittering when the countertenor in Bitter Tears started to sing. I guess a lot of people have never heard a countertenor and just didn't know what to make of that voice.

This sort of gala program may not be a satisfying artistic whole, but I enjoy getting to see the great variety of physical types and personalities in the company. I'm looking forward to the season very much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:03 am 

I'm surprised to hear about the tittering in response to the countertenor; I thought audiences in SF were more highly evolved as the home base of Chanticleer, but perhaps that's not the Gala audience....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:32 pm 

Francis Timlin wrote:
I'm surprised to hear about the tittering in response to the countertenor; I thought audiences in SF were more highly evolved as the home base of Chanticleer, but perhaps that's not the Gala audience....

I was also a bit surprised at the response to the countertenor-although admittedly it's always a bit jarring to hear at first even though you know what to expect.

The piece was very thought provoking. It was great that there was interaction with the countertenor. But I think I was distracted by Muriel's costume. When she came out, Muriel had a gold pouffy skirt (something Marie Antoinette would wear). Then, she fell to the floor and crawled out of the skirt (with assistance from Mark-the countertenor) and she had on what appeared to be the tutu from Reflections. Also, the tutu was white yet the top was flesh-colored. Perhaps I quibble a bit, but overall I enjoyed the program and will post my thoughts on the whole evening later.

One more thing: After Lorena and Tiit performed the Pas de deux from Giselle, the woman sitting to my left whispered 'That's my daughter' - so I was sitting next to Lorena Feijoo's mother!!! Made me wish I was able to speak Spanish so I could have talked to her more. But, I did tell her Lorena is one of my favorite dancers, she was a beautiful Giselle, and I also enjoyed her in Swan Lake last season.