public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SFB Program 5 - "Sleeping Beauty"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:49 am 

Oh, be careful there, David... Mr Ulrich takes no prisoners...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:21 am 

Thanks Azlan. I'm way too familiar with critics in this area. Especially the ones who try and pump family members of SFB dancers for company gossip at performance intermissions. :-) No, I'm not kidding.<BR>d<p>[This message has been edited by DavidH (edited March 24, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2001 11:26 am 

I spotted one recently taking down copious notes during intermission. I shut my mouth up...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2001 6:14 pm 

I was moved Friday night in the Opera House. Joanna Berman was nearly flawless, in spite of recovering from injury and a last minute substitution in the casting for Prince Desire. On top of nailing the technical feats, her subtle facial expressions and body language made her a very convincing and beautiful Aurora. She displayed just the right amount of acting to project the innocence and joy of a teenager.<P>Vilanoba was superb also, considering that he stepped in almost at the last minute for an injured Stephen Legate. His dancing was nearly clean throughout the evening and his acting not overdone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2001 7:33 pm 

It was a magical evening. Joanna was wonderful. The love and support that the audience and everyone on stage gave her was overwhelming. I am so happy I was there! And to show you how wonderful it was, her mother said "I can't believe I know her!" Is that funny or what? <BR>The entire cast danced beautifully too. Yuan Yuan Tan was a rather radiant Lilac Fairy. I wish I could see all over again. <BR>D<p>[This message has been edited by DavidH (edited March 24, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2001 8:57 pm 

Yes, David, Mrs Berman and the whole Berman entourage of family and friends were beaming afterwards, after some nervousness before the show.<P>I also agree with you about Yuan Yuan. She was very graceful and it's tough for me to choose between her and Muriel Maffre as the Lilac Fairy.<P>Parrish Maynard was a hoot as Carabosse. And what about that Vanessa who was a fairy in both Acts I and III? Her beautiful style will see her becoming a star in the near future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2001 9:02 am 

We have received confirmation that Stephen Legate broke his foot and will be undergoing surgery Monday. Sadly, he will likely be out for the rest of the season. Let's send him positive thoughts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:22 pm 

Mary Ellen Hunt also gives a wonderfully honest review in her <A HREF="http://chat.voiceofdance.com/eshare/server?action=190&PAGE=14&BOARD=22&ARTICLE=4121&START=0&RANGE=25&EXPANDFULLY=0&EXPANDBRANCH=0&ASORT=3&BSORT=1" TARGET=_blank>Voice of Dance post</A>.<P>As if to underline my points in support of the Examiner article, she wrote of Lacarra:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>There were some questionable moments in the promenades and a bit of wobbliness in the rolls through the foot from arabesque to penchée.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And of Pierre:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...his technique lacked the kind cleanliness that should be a matter of course for a principal at a company of this level.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But she ended on a positive note:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It seems that with Lacarra and Pierre, as indeed might be said of the entire ballet, the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://chat.voiceofdance.com/eshare/server?action=190&PAGE=14&BOARD=22&ARTICLE=4121&START=0&RANGE=25&EXPANDFULLY=0&EXPANDBRANCH=0&ASORT=3&BSORT=1" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 7:04 pm 

Rachel Howard compares the Auroras:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>'Beauty' in diversity: Comparing and contrasting SFB's rotating casts</B><P>Rachel Howard, SF Examiner<P> While Julia Roberts indulged her calculated gushing Sunday night, the dancers of San Francisco Ballet might well have been doling out some best actress honors of their own. Just that afternoon, "The Sleeping Beauty" had ended an 11-performance run -- one that featured no fewer than seven lead casts. And much like the Oscar nominations, a dancer had to consider it an honor just to be included in such esteemed company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://63.78.169.150/ex_files/default.jsp?story=X27AURORA1" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail