public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFB Program 5 - "Sleeping Beauty"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:25 pm 

Image <BR>Helgi Tomasson<BR>Courtesy SF Ballet<P><BR>I have to admit, I do like Helgi Tomasson's choreography of classical works:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>'Beauty' Defines A Ballet Company</B><P>Allan Ulrich, SF Chronicle<P>Is there another full-length ballet classic that demands as much loving care, from both audiences and dancers, as "Sleeping Beauty"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/03/04/PK60236.DTL" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SFB Program 5 - "Sleeping Beauty"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 11:33 am 

Image <BR>Lucia Lacarra, opening night's Aurora<P><BR>Hmm... the casting for opening night, 3/16/01, has been announced:<P><I>Aurora</I> Lucia Lacarra <BR><I>Prince</I> Cyril Pierre <BR><I>Enchanted Princess</I> Kristin Long <BR><I>Bluebird</I> Joan Boada*<BR><I>Lilac Fairy</I> Muriel Maffre<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited March 15, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 11:39 am 

And here's the casting through 3/21/01 (* indicates a premiere in a role):<P><BR><B>Saturday, March 17, 2:00 PM</B><BR><I>Aurora</I> Lorena Feijoo <BR><I>Prince</I> Roman Rykine <BR><I>Enchanted Princess</I> Katita Waldo* <BR><I>Bluebird</I> Parrish Maynard <BR><I>Lilac Fairy</I> Julie Diana*<P><BR><B>Saturday, March 17, 8:00 PM</B><BR><I>Aurora</I> Yuan Yuan Tan* <BR><I>Prince</I> Vadim Solomakha* <BR><I>Enchanted Princess</I> Tina LeBlanc* <BR><I>Bluebird</I> Guennadi Nedviguine*<BR><I>Lilac Fairy</I> Muriel Maffre<P><BR><B>Sunday, March 18, 2:00 PM</B><BR><I>Aurora</I> Vanessa Zahorian* <BR><I>Prince</I> Stephen Legate <BR><I>Enchanted Princess</I> Lorena Feijoo <BR><I>Bluebird</I> Zachary Hench* <BR><I>Lilac Fairy</I> Leslie Young<P><BR><B>Tuesday, March 20, 8:00 PM</B><BR><I>Aurora</I> Julie Diana* <BR><I>Prince</I> Pierre-François Vilanoba <BR><I>Enchanted Princess</I> Katita Waldo <BR><I>Bluebird</I> Roman Rykine <BR><I>Lilac Fairy</I> Yuan Yuan Tan<P><BR><B>Wednesday, March 21, 7:30 PM</B> <BR><I>Aurora</I> Tina LeBlanc <BR><I>Prince</I> Parrish Maynard* <BR><I>Enchanted Princess</I> Vanessa Zahorian* <BR><I>Bluebird</I> Gonzalo Garcia* <BR><I>Lilac Fairy</I> Leslie Young

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:40 pm 

More on "Beauty":<P> Image <BR>Helgi Tomasson's "The Sleeping Beauty"<BR>Photo Lloyd Englert<P><BR><I>Composer</I> Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky<BR><I>Choreography</I> Helgi Tomasson after Marius Petipa<BR><I>Scenic and Costume Design</I> Jens-Jacob Worsaae<BR><I>Lighting Design</I> Craig Miller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:16 pm 

Thanks Azlan. Believe it or not I'm going Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Does that make me officially a 'bun head?' :-) Friends are dancing and duty calls. I can't wait actually.<BR>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:29 pm 

Well, I <I>have</I> to go to the opener Friday and then again next Friday. With any luck, I <I>won't</I> have to go Sunday but...<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited March 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:23 pm 

IMO you'd be very lucky to go on Sunday! ;-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:27 pm 

Azlan, I'm not really jealous that you're going to see Lacarra in 'Sleeping Beauty'....oh all right - I am jealous!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:13 pm 

Image <BR>SFB Soloist Vanessa Zahorian<P><BR>Well, Stuart, you'll be doubly jealous if I go Sunday, Soloist Vanessa Zahorian will be dancing Aurora then.<P>However, I do recommend to anyone who can't make it this weekend that you try to catch Joanna Berman later in the week, who will probably be cast as soon as she is fit. I suspect she would have been cast in the opener if she was fully fit.<P><BR>Also, SFB's season announcement is expected at the end of this month. Stay tuned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:20 am 

Amen to your post Azlan! I saw Joanna's first Aurora when the company first produced Beauty however many years ago. It was an amazing performance to say the least. One of our teachers said it was the finest Aurora she had ever seen (and this women started here career in the 30's and is still teaching today.)So I'm praying Joanna's foot is strong enough to dance it next week. <BR>Happy St. Patricks day to all.<BR>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 11:23 am 

Stephanie von Buchau speaks to the music:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Music of 'Sleeping Beauty' keeps long Tchaikovsky ballet awake in audience's hearts</B><P>Stephanie von Buchau, Oakland Tribune<P>Children love ``Nutcracker." Romantics of all ages adore ``Swan Lake." But musical balletomanes would rather hear ``The Sleeping Beauty" than any other full-length Tchaikovsky ballet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://buzz.insidebayarea.com/S-ASP-Bin/ReformatSQLIndex.ASP?puid=4403&spuid=4403&Indx=734799&Article=ON&id=47773095&ro=1" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:10 am 

Stuart, you <I>are</I> going to be doubly jealous. Vanessa Zahorian was among a star-studded opening night supporting cast that also included Julia Adam, Katita Waldo, Lorena Feijoo, Sherri LeBlanc, Kristin Long, Joan Boada, Gonzalo Garcia and Guennadi Nedviguine, accompanied by superb playing by the SFB orchestra led by guest conductor Richard Bernas, a name that should be familiar to Royal Ballet fans.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:43 am 

Hmm, I guess Helgi Tomasson knew what he was doing, vis a vis the critics, with the opening night lead casts:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>A Glorious Awakening for 'The Sleeping Beauty' <BR>Dancers offset dull staging</B><P>Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle<P>This is what great dancing is all about. Friday night at the War Memorial Opera House, Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre took on two of the most demanding roles in all ballet and triumphed. It was glorious.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/03/18/DD204104.DTL" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 7:00 am 

Another fair review... even if I saw things a little differently:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Sweeping beauty<BR>S.F. BALLET DANCERS SOAR IN DIFFICULT ROLES</B><P>Anita Amirrezvani, San Jose Mercury News <P>The San Francisco Ballet's ``The Sleeping Beauty,'' which opened Friday at the War Memorial Opera House, is a dazzling spectacle of non-stop dancing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/sleeping19.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 11:24 pm 

Stephanie von Buchau compares two casts and complains about the orchestra...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>What a 'Beauty'</B><P>Stephanie von Buchau, Oakland Tribune<P>Individual performances in San Francisco Ballet's revival of ``The Sleeping Beauty," seen with two different casts on Saturday at the War Memorial Opera House, ranged from magical to ordinary, but the production is a triumph.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://buzz.insidebayarea.com/S-ASP-Bin/ReformatSQLIndex.ASP?puid=4403&spuid=4403&Indx=742627&Article=ON&id=48140484&ro=3" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail