public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:21 pm 

I have no idea as to the reasons for the surprise casting for Taming of the Shrew. Your guess is as good as mine. In the back of my mind I can’t help but think perhaps some of the dancers may have been let go. I find it odd that companies choose to make a veteran dancer inactive when they decide to not renew his or her contract. Perhaps Mrs. K simply wanted some new faces on stage.

My thoughts on some surprise selections for the 2007/2008 season:

Glass Pieces, In the Night and West Side Story Suite

Wow! The above triple bill should sell out. Hardcore long suffering ballet fans will finally be treated to something new to see! Glass Pieces is a neo-classical masterpiece. In the Night will give us some romance á la Frédéric Chopin. West Side Story should be loads of fun topped with oodles of sex appeal. The brilliance of Sondheim and Bernstein alone should fill the house. All of the above comes from the choreographic genius of the late Jerome Robbins.

I’ve seen The Merry Widow too many times-Just an average ballet for me.

An Italian Straw Hat was hit and miss. Some of the comedy worked; some of it fell flat. It needs retooling.

Soldiers’ Mass, 24 Preludes and Rooster brings us war, more Chopin, and the Rolling Stones-Three very modern works. Will Mick show?

I love Mr. K’s Cinderella but I do believe they brought her back a little too early.

I’m looking forward to seeing Etudes again. Second Detail and Skin Divers add to an interesting mixed program.

* Me thinks Mrs. K is rolling the bones with 3 mixed programs along with the all too soon returns of An Italian Straw Hat along with Cinderella. You can only roll out the classics so often. I guess it was time for something fresh and new. Let’s hope she rolls a 7!

Last edited by Michael Goldbarth on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:22 pm 

I'll venture a guess that the Shrew casting reflects that some principal talent is being held in reserve for the mixed bill the following weekend (Footstep et al). Many of those pieces sound like a welcome reward for dancers who have paid their story-ballet dues and want to stretch a bit.

And 07-08 is very intriguing and seems designed to be a litmus test of its audiences' tastes. I applaud the risk-taking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:40 pm 

Jane must be right with her assertion that we’ll see the usual cast of suspects for the upcoming mixed program. I just checked out the 2007/2008 seasonal brochure (available on line) and everyone is listed expect for…Ryan Boorne. I always thought he was marginal as a principal anyway. He was getting up there in ballet years (mid 30s I believe).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:38 am 

I heard that the dancers will also be singing for the West Side Story ballet! Now that should be interesting!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:21 am 

Veteran Ballet Critic Susan Walker waxes with full enthusiasm over Mrs. K’s 2007/2008 menu. She sure knows how to shake it up! At long last, the older generation in the NBoC audience will have someone to relate to of their generation! Mick Jagger, 64, Keith Richards, 64, Charlie Watts, 66, and Ron Wood, 60 will ALL feel right at home with the rest of the geezers! ROCK ON baby!

Quote:
If there's anything that might attract a new crowd to buy tickets to the National Ballet of Canada, it's Rooster, a contemporary ballet performed to three Rolling Stones songs. Throw in the possibility that one or more of the Stones could attend the Toronto premiere next March and you've got a recipe for a sell-out.

The Globe & Mail also reported on the National’s new ballets.

Michael Crabb also weighs in but you’ll have to pay to read the full story.

Noreen is right, we will be treated to NBoC dancers dancing and singing!

Quote:
"And yes, some of our dancers are going to sing," Kain promises, adding: "And they can!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:44 pm 

Let’s hope Keith Richards stays healthy enough to attend the NBoC’s tribute to the Rolling Kidney Stones! :lol:

Dear Keith:

We have a no smoking rule at the Four Seasons for the Performing Arts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:21 pm 

Haha Micheal, I am going to feel realllllly young now with more older people in the audience! I wish more people my age would go! I cannot wait to hear the dancers sing though...that is going to make for a very great show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:38 pm 

Yikes! I just had a peek at the NBoC’s season ticket prices for 2007/2008. They really stuck it to the Donald Trump section in the Grand Ring: $1,201 up from $888 and $1,110!! Plus they combined the Grand Rings. I’d hate to be some middle class 9 to 5er stuck with a $313 hike. I’m in Ring 3 ($807 this year) and now $700 (all 3 Rings have been combined into 1). Ring Four now goes for $451 ($447 and $315 in 2006/2007). Ring 5s and Orchestra 1 cost a buck more. Orchestra 1.2 costs $775 in 2007/2008 combining 3 sections.

My ballpark math reveals an average increase of 12% for ticket prices. I shouldn’t complain as I’m actually paying $107 less for next season. They’ve simplified their seating but there may be some hard feelings for subscribers who have not benefited from the new pricing structure. We’ll just have to wait and see how this and the very contemporary 2007/2008 season effects attendance.

:wink: There’s an added bonus of a pair of signed pointe shoes from your favorite dancer for the above packages.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:06 am 

Just a Heads up, the CBC program Opening Night is airing a documentary on Guillaume Cote called Moving to his Music: the Two Muses of Guillaume Cote tonight (thursday March 1) at 9:00 pm, Heather Ogden will appear, dancing an excerpt from Swan Lake with Mr. Cote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am 

Veteran Ballet Critic Gary Smith spends some time with Piotr Stanczyk.

Quote:
Strangely, this dancer hadn't always been delighted by his art. "For me, ballet was a complete mistake. My parents sent me to dance school because my sister was there. I hated every minute of it. I just didn't understand why anyone wanted to dance. I mean, I was a soccer-playing kind of kid. I wanted to escape the barre and the ballet, but somehow I seemed to be forced to hang on."

Finally, a teacher taught Stanczyk to appreciate the physicality of the art form.

"There was a change in my head. What can I say? It just happened."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:59 am 

Deirdre Kelly surfaces after a bit of a hiatus to pay homage to Celia Franca.

Quote:
Outsiders to the world of ballet, especially those bewitched by its hills and dales of satin and tulle, often persist in a belief of the art as populated by wisps of women for whom dance is a fairy tale performed in pointes. But Celia Franca was one dancing woman whose grit, passion and determination firmly put the lie to a portrait of the ballerina as delicate.

Also surfacing is a favorite dancer of yours truly, Kimberly Glasco!

Quote:
It's that attitude, for which Franca gave no apology, that has prompted Glasco in the days since Franca's death to think of her former coach as the personification of ballet past: "People are saying that she ran the company with an iron fist, that people were frightened of her but that they respected her. But why do you have to have a boss like that? Dancers like to dance. You don't have to be cruel to them. It doesn't make them try harder. It only makes them quake with fear. It shows how archaic a world she came from. And now that she's gone, the future of ballet, you have to hope, will strive to become more enlightened."

If they were honest, some would say Celia Franca was a leader many loved to hate. She must have been ruthless at times to earn the moniker: ‘The Dragon Lady!’

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:25 am 

Tina Pereira dazzled everyone winning the women’s part of the Erik Bruhn Competition. Ulrik Birkkjaer from the Royal Danish Ballet won the men’s prize. Keiichi Hirano injured his achilles during the competition. No word on how long he will be out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:26 am 

Wow congratulations to Tina on her win! I bet it was a great show! Thanks for posting the link to her website Michael. She looks very young, how old is she?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:53 am 

We are discussing the competition in its own thread since it pertains to dancers from four companies.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:30 pm 

Your guess is as good as mine: 22?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next