public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PNB March Rep.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 7:56 am 

Pacific Northwest Ballet's March Repertory performances open this evening. The mixed bill includes Balanchine's Chaconne; van Manen's Five Tangos; Kent Stowell's Pas de Deux Campagnolo; and Peter Martins' Fearful Symmetries. Both the van Manen and Martins works are company premieres. Performances will be held at the Seattle Opera House at 7:30 p.m., Thursday through Saturday, March 15-17 and March 22-24, with 2:00 p.m. performances on Saturday, March 17 and 24.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PNB March Rep.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 8:45 am 

Wish I could make it, Francis. Please do give us your impressions of the two company premieres.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:58 am 

I saw City of London Ballet do 'Five Tangos' a year or so ago. It worked fine, but needed a bit more sizzle from the girls (not in abundant supply in most UK dance companies) but one of the boys raised the temperature more than somewhat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 7:47 am 

A feature on Hans van Manen working with PNB dancers on Five Tangos. The print version features a photo of van Manen in an expansive mode, working with Patty Barker and Olivier Wevers that is unfortunately not included in the on-line version.<BR> <A HREF="http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/classical/clas16x.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/classical/clas16x.shtml</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 8:54 am 

Image <BR>Olivier Wevers, who sizzled in "Five Tangos"<P><BR>A review:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Pacific Northwest Ballet puts its spin on 'Tangos'</B><P>Mary Murfin Bayley, Seattle Times<P>Pacific Northwest Ballet's "Five Tangos," which opened on Thursday night, offered a lush, diverse evening of terrific dance. The curtain rose on the limpid romanticisms of George Balanchine's "Chaconne" and closed on the high-pulsed rapidities of Peter Martins' "Fearful Symmetries." In the meantime Hans van Manen's stylish "Five Tangos" and Kent Stowell's classical "Pas de Deux Campagnolo" kept the mix varied and rich.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?slug=tango17&date=20010317" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:29 pm 
Olivier, well done!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 7:31 am 

R. M. Campbell's review of the Saturday matinee performance, March 17:<BR> <A HREF="http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/classical/pnb19q.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/classical/pnb19q.shtml</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 3:37 pm 

I attended the Saturday evening performance on March 17. Patricia Barker was paired with Jeffrey Stanton in a masterful performance of Chaconne. Ms. Barker becomes more Farrell-like as years roll by; Mr. Stanton was at his most ardently attentive as a partner. Theirs was a definitive performance. Jodie Thomas and Seth Belliston were well-cast as the "light" pas de deux couple. The ensemble work was polished, fresh and engaging. <P>I concur fully with Mr. Campbell's review of the performance of Five Tangos; Ariana Lallone and Stanko Milov are well-matched in height and magnetic field; they should be partnered often. I particularly enjoyed the small drama put into play in Tango #4, in which Valeri Hristov and Astrit Zejnati partner one another, only to be interrupted by the late arrival of Alexandra Dickson and Stacy Lowenberg, their presumptive partners. The music was performed on tape, per the choreographer's insistence. It was not a felicitous decision and should be revisited for future stagings of the work.<P>Artistic Director Kent Stowell's piece d'occasion created for former principals Deborah Hadley and Michael Auer is set to ballet music from Verdi's I Vespri Siciliani. The Saturday evening pairing was Noelani Pantastico and Casey Herd, both corps members who were impressive in the many opportunities afforded to non-principal dancers in last month's Sleeping Beauty. Ms. Pantastico, one of several current corps and soloist members who is a product of Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet training, and Mr. Herd, from the University of Utah Department of Ballet, were impressive in their debuts in roles ordinarily reserved for principals. <P>The evening concluded with Peter Martins' Fearful Symmetries to the John Adams eponymous score (cf., Ashley Page for Royal Ballet watchers). Mr. Campbell is correct again; perpetual motion rules the day with the exception of contrast offered by three couples...in this instance two pairs of tall dancers (Kimberly Davey/Stanko Milov and Ariana Lallone/Olivier Wevers) and one pair of less-tall dancers (Kaori Nakamura/Seth Belliston). Ms. Nakamura was particularly striking in her unsupported balances downstage center. Her ability to sustain verve and attack were remarkable throughout this very lengthy work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 3:42 pm 

"The music was performed on tape, at the choreographer's insistence"...I find that odd. Why would the choreographer prefer canned music to live music? Unless there's some issue with consistency of tempi or dynamics? Would you know Francis?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 3:50 pm 

Francia and Kent tried to get van Manen to allow the orchestra to perform it live. He (van Manen) was convinced they would not get it right (since Piazzola scored it for an Argentinian Bandeon ensemble) in the amount of available rehearsal time. But, I think the door remains open to revisit the issue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 7:05 pm 

Actually, Hans's ballet Five Tangos is never performed with live music. The recording is always being used for a question of tempos and sounds. The ballet is VERY musical and Hans is very strict about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 7:26 pm 

Thanks for the clarification, Olivier. Now I really wish I had gone up to Seattle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 7:52 pm 

Image <BR><font size=1>Erin Joseph and Astrit Zejnati face off in Hans van Manen's "Five Tangos."<BR>Photo: Angela Sterling</font><P>Seattle Weekly - Sandra Kurtz, 03/22/01:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Integration<BR>PNB mixes diverse dances to make a successful whole</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><a href="http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0112/arts-kurtz.shtml" target="blank"><B>more...</B></a>

Profile E-mail