public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sydney Dance Company Tours US
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 3:50 pm 

Image <BR>Sydney Dance Company in "Salome"<P><BR>The Sydney Dance Company kicks off its US tour with AD Graeme Murphy's "Salome" at Stanford on October 13. For more info on SDC's US tour, go to the <B><A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000061.html" TARGET=_blank>SDC press release</A></B>.<P>See also "<A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/interviews/gmurphy000816.html" TARGET=_blank>Excuse Me I'm Not A Sausage Machine</A>," an interview of Murphy by criticaldance.com correspondent, Jennifer Leake.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sydney Dance Company Tours US
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 4:54 pm 

i look forward to seeing this company reviewed in succession by azlan, priscilla and then francis and trina.... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:00 pm 

Well, with luck, I might do a follow-up interview with Murphy, from an American perspective.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:06 pm 

why don't you see if you can interview janet vernon, his wife, associate-director and creative assistant (& used to be his principal dancer), instead?<P>or branco gaica, SDC's photographer, if by chance he is on the tour?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 11:03 pm 

Wow!<P>Wow!<P>Wow!<P>I couldn't stop being amazed by this company, in every aspect: the athleticism; the intensity; the precision; the lighting; the aerial stunts...<P>"Salome" indeed lived up to its expectations as a theatrical masterpiece and a tour de force.<P>Reviews and a postscript interview to follow.<P>Also, in keeping with AD Graeme Murphy's own description of his work, I will move this thread to Modern/Contemporary Dance (BTW, Grace and Jennifer, you're right; he's a very nice fellow).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 2:45 am 

it's very cheeky of me, azlan, to have re-opened this thread for the sole purpose of contradicting you - but this issue is important to me.<P>i know you interviewed graeme, so i will go to the MODERN DANCE thread you have made, to see there what he has said, but i have also heard him talk about his work as "ballet".<P>his dancers are all ballet-trained (extremely well, too) and do ballet class (only) every day. some of his ballets are en pointe. i regard SDC as a contemporary BALLET company....not that i want to argue about such labels, but i do feel it is important to be open-minded about what ballet IS today (i.e in 'contemporary' times). <P>however, i will agree that certain programs they put on, are more MODERN than BALLET, but not to the exclusion of the 'ballet' label, in my book! Image<P>OK, i've had my little spout - i'm re-closing this and going to MODERN to read more! thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]