public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New York City Ballet Spring Season 2003
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:20 pm 

Greetings..brief comments for now, formal review at a more reasonable hour!

Opening night of "Swan Lake" at NYCB was stunning (well, the dancing, not the sets & costumes). Standing ovations and three curtain calls, plus a big boquet of roses for Whelan.
Both Woetzel and Whelan were at their best, with the partering superb-it flowed and there was nary a glitch in the whole evening. Woetzel was perfetctly stretched in the turns in second, and Whelan got to 28 fouttes.

Hubbe returned and it was a delight to see him back on stage.

Unfortunately, Jennifer Ringer must have gotten hurt sometime on Wednesday, as she has been taken off casting for this week and next. Kowroski will replace Ringer as Odette/Odile next week.

The children were excellent and Gold was a great jester. Ansanelli fell off point once, but was otherwise good in an early debut in the pas de quatre (sp?). The pas de quatre was excellent, with the three women absolutely spot on during the fouettes. Marcovici was solid as Benno, making the best of his solos.
The swans were also excellent, looking well rehearsed and generally very much in synch.

But, the evening belonged to Whelan. She managed to get through some overly fast conducting by Andrea Quinn in the first act, and absolutely flew in the series of entrachets (??) in the second act.

Other changes for next week-Ulbricht is dancing in two performances, and Neal is doing Albrecht one night with Kowroski.

Kate

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:30 pm 

Also, congrats to Tyler Angle and Vincent Paradiso who danced in the corps tonight. I would guess this means they have or are close to getting apprentice contracts.

Kate

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:33 pm 

Thanks, ksneds! And momofPNBdancer, we are still waiting for your comments! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:24 am 

Quote:
A Balanchine Driven, Serene, Then Bubbling

By JACK ANDERSON, NY Times

The New York City Ballet opened its spring season at the New York State Theater on Tuesday night with fine dancing in three major works by George Balanchine. <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/03/arts/dance/03CITY.html target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:19 pm 

Quote:
A Ballerina Gains Weight and Insight

By GIA KOURLAS, NY Times

RETURNING to the stage after a major injury is misery. Just ask Miranda Weese, a principal dancer of New York City Ballet. <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/arts/dance/04KOUR.html target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:37 pm 

Swan Lake
New York City Ballet
New York State Theater
May 2, 2003

On Friday night, Peter Martins’ Swan Lake returned to the New York City Ballet repertory in a powerful and passionate performance, led by Wendy Whelan and Damian Woetzel. Martins’ production, based on Balanchine, Ivanov and Petipa’s versions of the classic tragedy, is a pared down version, with much of the mime excised. Without the long passages of mime, the production has a refreshing simplicity, and is well suited to the strength of the NYCB dancers-pure dance. Yet, the simplicity of Per Kirkeby’s abstract sets and costumes leave something to be desired, especially in the jarring shift from the simple, brightly colored costumes in the first act to the ornate, out of place Elizabethan costumes of the second act. However, when danced with such energy and beauty as it was on Friday, this Swan Lake more than overcomes the limitations of its set.

The superb dancing in the first act hinted at what was yet to come. Tom Gold’s jester was gleefully impish, entertaining with his airy leaps and speedy turns, playful with the children and not above wheedling an extra glass or two of drink from the courtiers. As Benno, Sebastian Marcovici handled the tricky solo with impressive ease and power, and was notable for his secure landings from tours down to the knee. Janie Taylor and Abi Stafford, his partners in the pas de trois, were both crisp and powerful in their dancing, Stafford with a endearing youthfulness, and Taylor with breathtaking abandon. The well rehearsed corps danced with enthusiasm, with Seth Orza, Ask laCour, Kyle Froman and Jonathan Stafford, in particular, standing out. The young children from the School of American Ballet were utterly delightful, with nary a wrong step in the intricate drinking dance, involving both students and corps. Siegfried has little dancing in the first scene, but Woetzel’s brief solo demonstrated that he has indeed recovered from the injury that kept him out for most of the winter season. A powerful dancer, Woetzel’s dancing was crisp, but lyrical and flowing. He continues to impress with his incredible spinning abilities, his double tours rotated with impressive ease.

The evening however really belonged to Wendy Whelan, who was simply exquisite, her dancing as smooth as silk, mixing commanding power and fluid delicacy, her arms seemingly jointless as they fluttered in the air. In her initial solo, despite an overly ambitious tempo set by Andrea Quinn that forced Whelan to be more frenetic than fluttery, she appeared utterly unruffled. Spectacular in the final ultra-quick series of steps (entrechats?) that were perfectly timed to Tchaikovsky's driving music, Whelan’s dancing was only enhanced by her smooth, confident partnership with Woetzel. Whelan and Woetzel have danced together many times, and this experience was clearly illustrated in the polished, nuanced, near flawless quality of their pas de deuxs.

Whelan’s bevy of swans supported her with aplomb, looking encouragingly well rehearsed and dancing as a cohesive group. Arms were fluid and uniform, and patterns organized, if not rigidly straight. Much credit should go to this corps, not often faced with the long lines and large group work of ballets like Swan Lake. Carrie Lee Riggins, Amanda Edge, Melissa Barak and Elizabeth Walker, as the four cygnets, were notable for their breezy speed and crispness. Cool chicks these baby swans were!

The level of Whelan and Woetzel’s dancing only increased in the black swan pas de deux, the centerpiece of the second act. Whelan let her true power seep through in her seductive solo, cranking out 28 evenly timed fouettes, and an impressive ménage of turns on point. In the coda, Woetzel’s sequence of turns in second was stunning not only for it’s distinctive change of tempo and perfectly centered rotations, but also for the impeccable extension and unwavering, horizontal position of his working leg, and controlled finished in passé. Woetzel was also notable in the double tours finishing in grand plie in fifth, with tightly and easily rotated tours and soft, controlled plies.

Some of the second act divertissements had some rough edges, but all were danced with energy and enthusiasm. Of particular joy, was the return of Nikolaj Hubbe from a serious knee injury, who danced a solid, quirky Russian Dance with Yvonne Hubbe. In the pas de quatre, led by Philip Neal, Alexandra Ansanelli made an early debut, replacing Jennifer Ringer in the principal solo. Ansanelli was good, but she fell off of point once, and slid into her final pose. Jennie Somogyi and Pascale van Kipnis were a bit more polished, and the finale included a series of perfectly synchronized fouettes from the three women. Antonio Carmena, partnered by Amanda Edge, was enthusiastic in his debut in the Neapolitan dance. The Spanish and Hungarian dances were both well performed, with Rachel Rutherford & Jason Fowler a powerful lead Russian Couple, and Aesha Ash, Ellen Bar, Stephen Hanna and Amar Ramasar all worth noting in the Spanish dance.

In the final scene, Whelan evoked powerful emotions as her Odette was torn from Siegfried by his pledge to Odile. She desperately tried to save him from James Fayette’s sinister, mysterious Von Rotbart, despite his betrayal of her love. The final image of Woetzel on his knees, his back acutely arched back in agony and grief was a moving end to a wonderful night.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:10 am 

CITY BALLET SHIMMERS IN 'SWAN LAKE'
Mon May 5, 4:08 AM ET

By CLIVE BARNES

Quote:
CALL it the Battle of the Swans if your taste runs to the melodramatic.

In the past New York City Ballet and American Ballet Theater, who share Lincoln Center for two months every spring, have taken care not to go head to head, or, as here, beak to beak.

But this year both have scheduled the full-evening "Swan Lake," with first in the air being City Ballet - now at the beginning of its nine-week season, which offered Peter Martins' version of the Tchaikovsky classic over the weekend.
click here form ore

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:13 pm 

Quote:
Swans in an Up-to-Date Lake

By ANNA KISSELGOFF, NY Times

There is no old-fashioned storybook tone to the "Swan Lake" with a difference that Peter Martins staged so creatively with the Danish painter Per Kirkeby for the New York City Ballet in 1999 and that the company revived for the first time in three years with three casts over the weekend.
<a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/05/arts/dance/05SWAN.htmltarget=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:22 am 

Quick question about the Martin Segal award...where did you find that information? I checked the NYCB website and it didnt say anything about that...
anyway, i saw nycb on saturday night (swan lake). miranda weese and peter boal danced and were very good...ive seen miranda dance odette/odile twice before and she seems to get better each time. She is a really consistantly strong dancer.(although her mere 27 fouettes at the end were a disspointment...not - and i heard wendy whelan only reached 28 the night before) Peter boal was good, but i've seen him dance better. Tom GOld as the Jester was great, and both Abi Stafford and Janie Taylor in the pas de tois were both really energetic and fun to watch. i enjoyed it a lot! I also thought that Alexandra Ansanelli (who i beleive took Jennifer Ringer's place) was SO good. she looks a lot "healthier" from the last time i saw her...not quite as skinny - and she had amazing energy in the pas de quatre. I also thought Eva Natanya danced exceptionally well in the corps...mayabe she will be one to look out for? Anyway, just thought i'd share my comments.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:45 pm 

I didn't have a chance till now to comment on last Wednesday's performance. The evening was Donizetti,Agon, and In G Major. Donizetti was to be my highlight...till we heard that Jenifer Ringer was injured. Still I enjoyed the performance and Yvonne and Damian were terrific. Damian's turns are just unbelievable. They are so clean and clear...so in control!Bravo to Damian! Agon was superb. Balanchine would be pleased as they danced his style to perfection. I must say the veteran dancers were fabulous and that the newest to Agon...Jennie Somogyi...was terrific. Jennie Somogyi was mesmerizing...a breath of fresh air....just a joy to watch. There was quite a bit to watch in the audience as well.A few dancers from ABT were there looking handsome in their street clothes.I spied a "critic" gathering data on a clipboard....it was a different eye opening night for me. I was able to see some of the dancers afterward and chat. It is always great to see my son's friends from SAB...now with the company. :) New York City Ballet is wonderful! It was an enjoyable ballet evening. Now I must go back to see my favorite ballerina perform...Miss Abi Stafford !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:39 pm 

isnt Abi Stafford the greatest? Shes one of my city ballet favorites...and she is also the nicest person - i talk to her frequently and she always takes the time to answer my questions, etc. shes one of the reasons i started going to cpyb in the summer...but she always has great performances and its such a pleasure to watch her dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:54 pm 

That is correct TwinkleToes !! She is BEAUTIFUL !! As a performer and as a person. Very technical....."pure"....a delight to see. Actually the dance artists from CPYB are all quite amazing!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:28 pm 

yeah i agree...they defiantly know how to train good dancers there. the kids that go there year round are AMAZING - i still dont know how they do it. i beleive there are a few at PNB too...carrie imler is one of them (she taught me a lot two summers ago)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:09 pm 

That is correct. Carrie Imler is a Principal dancer at PNB. She has amazing strength, technique , her jumps are through the ceiling!! Also Noelani Pantastico...a soloist...who is incredible and I'm sure when promotions take place will be a Principal also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 4:05 am 

City Ballet gala to feature a very merry menagerie
BY ROBERT JOHNSON for The Star-Ledger

NEW YORK -- Some awfully suspicious characters will be lurking at New York City Ballet's spring gala. The fund-raiser always makes for excellent bird-watching, as high society seizes the promenade of the New York State Theater at Lincoln Center to engage in a communal preening ritual.

But this year's event promises to be especially, well, cuckoo.

That's because City Ballet's resident choreographer, Christopher Wheeldon, has set a new ballet to Camille Saint-Saens' popular music suite "Carnival of the Animals." The Cuckoo will dance on the stage usually reserved for the neo-classical works of George Balanchine when "Carnival" receives its premiere on gala night.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next