CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacific Northwest Ballet: Patricia Barker Retirement
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:44 am 

The good news is that we will be able to enjoy one more season with Patricia Barker. She plans to make the 2006-07 season her last at PNB. R. M. Campbell interviews her in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Seattle P-I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:23 pm 

Here is a link to the press release on the PNB website:

Patricia Barker Retirement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:19 pm 

I almost cried when I read the press release.

I love this quote from Peter Boal:

Quote:
“Patricia Barker’s name is synonymous with the name Pacific Northwest Ballet,” said Peter Boal. “It is hard to imagine the Company without her. Her contribution to this institution cannot be measured. We are left with millions of images, treasured memories, and one final year to savor the artistry and technique of this extraordinary ballerina. I feel fortunate that my time with PNB has coincided with Patricia’s. She has been an enormous help to me. Though we will miss her contributions from the stage, Patricia has also been invaluable as a teacher, role model, educator, and advocate for this Company. She will continue to serve in these roles after her retirement.”

And thank you for this, Barker:

Quote:
She is currently on the advisory board for Pointe Magazine, CriticalDance.com, California Ballet, and Minnesota Dance Theater and is a consultant to Bunheads, Inc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:28 pm 

I'm certainly glad I got to see Ms. Barker perform live, a couple of years ago, in the Grand Pas de Deux from Sleeping Beauty, with Stanko Milov.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:11 am 

I attended my first PNB performance in 1979, so I've had the pleasure of watching Patricia during her entire PNB career. A month or so ago a post-performance audience member asked if Patricia had any plans to retire. Peter Boal then mentioned that she'd be around for at least one more year because she'd committed herself to the 2006-2007 season. Afterwards, I approached Patricia and asked her if she would please give us as much warning as possible when she did finally decide to retire. I'd like to think that I had something to do with the year's advance warning she just gave us. Instead of morning the sudden departure of a favorite dancer, as has happend to me so many times in the 20 some years I've been a PNB subscirber, we'll have a full year to celebrate Patty's magnificent career. I'm sure that I won't be the only person buying extra tickets to her performances between now and the time she retires. It's good to hear that she'll continue to play an important role in PNB's future after her retirement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:59 am 

Moira Macdonald discusses Patricia Barker's retirement announcement in the Seattle Times:

Seattle Times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:54 pm 

Patricia Barker will throw out the first pitch at tonight's Mariners game at Safeco Field. She speaks at length about her impending retirement with Carole Beers in the King County Journal:

King County Journal