public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aesha Ash
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:47 pm 

Basically, I want to ask everyone their opinion on why Aesha Ash hasnt been promoted to soloist at NYCB yet. I mean, I understand that NYCB has never had an African-American female go beyond corps., but come on, she's obviously deserving of the promotion.

Post subject: Re: Aesha Ash
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:53 pm 

I've not seen Ms Ash enough to know, but wasn't Deborah Austin a soloist? I know Balanchine created a solo for her in "Ballo Della Regina".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:32 pm 

Hi and welcome!

Good question but I think you'll get more answers in the Ballet forum, so I'll move it there (click on the link that appears above).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:22 pm 

Concerning Ms. Austin's status (which I don't know), it's possible to get solos without officially being a soloist.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:25 pm 

Just curious. Has there been any Asian dancers who has gone beyond Corps? Wait... are there any Asian dancers at all currently?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:57 pm 

I just checked the roster and didn't notice any name that looked as if its country of origin was anywhere in Asia, except possibly Amar Ramasar. (I was thinking India, but maybe it's a Persian or some other type of name.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:36 pm 

Yeah, I guess NYCB looks at Asians the way ABT looks at African-Americans-- they dont hire them. You can only see Asians over at ABT. And no, Debra Austin wasn't a soloist, just a corps member. But I definitely think Aesha Ash is way too talented than to simply be used as a quota -filling corps dancer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:53 pm 

Well, blbrown04, I think you'll see that that policy has changed and there are certain exceptions, although it is rare. Check the thread that we had on "Misa Kuranaga." She's Japanese and PETITE, not the stereotypical type of dancer you would see at the NYCB! She's probably the smallest in the company and even more petite than Megan Fairchild! Also, Gen Horiuchi was a former principal with the NYCB. He now directs the St. Louis Ballet. I think Misty Copeland is African-American, or half.

<small>[ 16 July 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: ruteyo ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:21 am 

It was never a policy. Balanchine was not a racist. He took dancers for his company from his school. Especially over 20 years ago (remember how long he's been dead) there were not that many students of color in the school. He had other black dancers in the corps, as well, though I don't remember their names. You can't say what he would do now because he's not here. He was actually courageous for the era in that, for instance, in using Arthur Mitchell early on, when the company did a *live* broadcast of The Nutcracker in 1958, Mitchell was used as one of four cavaliers (the cavaliers were second act soloists) to partner Diana Adams as the Sugar Plum. On live television in 1958 in the United States on a national broadcast. The company's racial mix now is not his doing or his wish. (and although I agree with it, the majority of what I have written came from a long-time soloist who worked for Mr. Balanchine for 17 years with whom I spoke about this subject today.

Misty Copeland BTW is with ABT, not NYCB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:46 am 

Aesha Ash is a beautiful ballerina. She should be promoted to soloist. She performed a few years ago in the movie "Center Stage" if anyone wants to see her. She actually danced the lead role though the actress looked as if she was actually dancing. She is absolutely breath taking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:13 pm 

The actress in question is Zoe Saldana.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:48 pm 

Quote:
Originally posted by blbrown04:
Yeah, I guess NYCB looks at Asians the way ABT looks at African-Americans-- they dont hire them.
But there are several African-Americans at ABT: Misty Copeland, Dartanion Reed, Jamar Goodman, Danny Tidwell. Also, Jose Carreno clearly has African blood, as does sometime guest artist Carlos Acosta. Enough? No, but clearly ABT does hire people of African descent.

In addition to Mr. Ramasar and Mr. Horiuchi, Edward Liang and Miriam Madhaviani (whose Iranian heritage categorizes her as Asian) danced with NYCB for many years, and Afshin Mofid and Runsheng Ying had shorter, but still noteworthy careers there.

<small>[ 18 July 2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Carbro ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:54 pm 

Here's a related topic in the issues forum:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000362 target=_blank>Race in the Arts</a>

And an interview of Karen Brown by Toba Singer in which race is touched upon:

<a href=http://www.criticaldance.com/interviews/2003/karenbrown20030600.html target=_blank>Karen Brown, Artistic Director of Oakland Ballet</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:50 am 

Carbro, would you mind telling me a little more about Runsheng Ying? Was the dancer Chinese, male/female? I'm curious to know because I think I've heard the name before. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:23 am 

Does anyone remember Nora Kimball? Or Anne Benna-Sims?