public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UN-retirement/Career Transition/Michael M!
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2000 6:20 pm 

Image Our popular member, Australian Michael Montgomery, started a thread titled "Retirement" (in "Issues" up above), on the eve of his retirement as a dancer in Paris.<P>It quickly developed into one of our most popular threads. Now Michael HAS retired, has had a holiday, and is now actively working on the NEXT phase of his career...(see below).<P>Since we are no longer talking about retirement, and since i'm such a painful organiser/tidier-upper sort-of-person (!), i'm starting a new thread for this stage of Michael's career, which will no doubt be as fun-filled as the last! Image<P>here is michael's post about the future...<BR>posted May 25, 2000 02:17 PM :- <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Jen…You have just won 2 press places for the perfomance of your choice at the Laycock St. Theatre, Gosford. 28, 29, 30 Sept. mat & evening, or matinee Sun. 1st Oct 2000. (as I'm sure you know, 1 hour north of central Sydney; on the coast)<BR>Immediately after the Olympics!<P>For the last 10 years the company has gone under the name of Laycock Dance<BR>Theatre. I want to change the name, but will have to bludgeon that past the Board<BR>when I get back!<P>Here are the details of a press release I'm currently preparing; which should answer the rest of your questions - <P> Formed In 1990 under the artistic directorship of Patti Gleeson as the resident dance company of the newly built Laycock Street Theatre, Gosford, the Laycock Dance Theatre has impressively nurtured and developed Australian dancers and choreographers over the past 10 years. For example Rebecca Gladstone, now Principal Dancer with Berlins Ballet der Deutschen Oper was an original member of the company.<P> Providing a unique opportunity for selected students from the Central Coast of New South Wales to gain valuable performing experience, the company allows these young dancers to work with, observe and share the stage with the cream of Australian dancers.<P> Guest Artists, the likes of David Ashmole, Lisa Bolte, Nigel Burley, Miranda Coney, Michelle Goulet, Adam Marchant, David McCallister and Fiona Tonkin have all appeared with the company. <P>And the list of Guest Choreographers includes such talents as Patrick Harding-Irmer, Françoise Phillibert, Aleeta Northey and Penny Mullen.1997 was an important year for the company with the first international tour of Japan and consequent signing of a 5-year cultural exchange programme. <P>This season the company will again be touring to Japan and undergoes a relaunch more suitable to its new international profile. For this season the company has invited its premier Guest Choreographer Michael Montgomery to return from Europe; 10 years later to create a new work for this landmark occasion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: UN-retirement/Career Transition/Michael M!
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2000 8:04 am 

UN-retirement!!!<BR>You don't believe me do you?<P>I can't wait to get into the studio and start work on my ballets and not be dancing IN them. I think I much prefer that, even though I know it's not going to be easy. Sorry about the cliché - but anything that is really worth something, is never easy; that's life. So may as well accept it and get on with it; or you might turn into a sheep!<P>Latest news: Just got off the phone to Australia. First crises - The guest Japanese Ballerina's partner has just gone down and her other regular partners are unavailable.<BR>Desperately Seeking an experienced male Guest Artist, for Siegfried, Swan Lake Act II. End of September 2000, Australia.<BR>(lets see how the internet works, it's an interesting experiment!)<P>PS. The Programme consists of examples of three major styles that have shaped dance over the last century -<P>"Swan Lake Act II", Trad.<P>"Rachmaninov Variations", a Neo-Classical Work.<P>"Terror On Bondi Beach (Giselle Act II)", my contemporary reworking of the classic tale. <p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited May 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 6:34 am 

Well Grace - it seems the internet works very quickly.<BR>Have been contacted concering a dancer (although he doesn't know it yet) who perhaps will be available and interested <BR>Check him out for yourself (Video may be on the way)-<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/td/twodancers.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.co.uk/td/twodancers.htm</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited May 27, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 1:14 am 

Eagerly awaited video is in the post!<P>I'm taking off to the Atlantic coast for a few days...<P>While I still can!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 2:15 pm 

Hi, I'm back!<P>Well the few days turned into almost 2 weeks.<BR>I would like to report that after not doing a scrap of exercise for over a month now and eating wonderful food (I've put on weight for the first time in my life!), I'm ready to go back to class tomorrow - for my own enjoyment (and my waistline).<BR>Will be spending some time in London next week to see the Kirov and others, it's time to get on with things (It's incredible how you can loose muscle over your entire body and only the stomach grows?).<P>PS. I never want to live far from the beach again - have been incredibly inspired by the force of our planet and the generosity of simple hearts.<P>Love - M.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2000 3:32 pm 

The video arrived and must report will give high recommendation to Japanese ballerina and artistic director.<P>I got to watch the video last night and it was a joy to watch Daniels performances. He is obviously a very sensitive partner, possessing an innate musicality. I don't think I need to go into his technical abilities. <BR>I believe he would be ideally suited to partner the Japanese ballerina and it would be a plus to have a French dancer perform in Australia; a rare occurence.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 5:16 pm 

Quote:<BR>____________________________________________ Daniel Meja was born in Nice, France, and received his initial training from Rosella Hightower's school in Cannes. He continued his studies in Paris with Attilio Labis until being engaged by the London Festival Ballet, where he appeared in London and on tour in roles in Sleeping Beauty and Romeo and Juliet. Mr. Meja then appeared with the Ballet del Teatro alla Scala in Rudolf Nureyev's production of Romeo and Juliet and in Giselle, and accompanied them on a tour to the United States, where he remained to continue his studies with David Howard. He appeared with the Chicago Ballet as a guest artist in The Nutcracker and with Cleveland Ballet as a guest artist in Quicksilver, Les Sylphides and The Nutcracker. <P>Mr. Meja then spent several seasons with the San Francisco Ballet, where he created roles in Michael Smuin's Hearts (photo, above left) and also in Brahms Haydn Variations and also appeared in ballets such as Cinderella, Con Amore, Agon, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Mozart C Minor Mass,La Fille Mal Gardee, La Sylphide, Cinderella, Menuetto, Western Symphony, Stars and Stripes, The Nutcracker and To the Beatles.<P>In 1989, Mr. Meja joined the Boston Ballet, where he remained until 1994, and where he began his partnership with Jennifer Gelfand (Photo by Roy Round). Mr. Meja's repertory includes roles in a wide range of the classic and contemporary repertory, including Raymonda (Photo by Bernie Gardella), The Sleeping Beauty, Romeo and Juliet, La Fille Mal Gardee, Swan Lake, La Sylphide, Etudes, Giselle, Coppelia, Allegro Brillante, The Four Temperaments, and many others.<P>He has appeared in ballets by choreographers as diverse as George Balanchine, Maurice Bejart, Michael Smuin, Lew Christensen, Fernando Bujones, Choo San Goh, Rick McCullough (Photo by Bernie Gardella), Mikhail Lavrovsky, Uwe Scholz and Youri Vamos. <BR>He is the recipient of medals at competitions in Varna, Bulgaria, Jackson, Mississippi and New York City. His accomplishments have been noted in Dance Magazine and Ballett International and other international press, and he received praise from Newsweek Magazine and worldwide notice for his performances as the Jester in the Konstantin Sergeyev/Natalia Dudinskaya production of Swan Lake and has been acclaimed for his appearances as Basilio in Don Quixote (Photo by Bernie Gardella) and Romeo in Romeo and Juliet. <BR> <P>Mr. Meja has performed as a guest artist with the Kirov Ballet, in Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet, as a guest artist at international ballet festivals, including the Don des Etoiles in Montreal, Canada, as the partner of Kirov ballerina Irina Tchistyakova, dancing Flames of Paris, at the Tokyo International Ballet Festival, as an invited guest at the opening ceremonies of the Jackson International Ballet Competition with Jennifer Gelfand dancing the Esmeralda pas de deux, with Valentina and Leonid Kozlov and Friends in pas de deux from La Bayadere and Sleeping Beauty, with companies such as Ballet du Nord, the Zurich Ballet, the Philippine Ballet Theatre, Deutsche Oper am Rhein and at many other festivals and gala performances, in Europe and Asia, including performances in Manila before the Queen of Spain, a tour of Spain with the Boston Ballet, dancing with Jennifer Gelfand and Adriana Suarez, and performances at Kennedy Center before Presidents George Bush and Bill Clinton.<BR>____________________________________________<BR>End quote. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 7:41 pm 

<BR>Just have to bring this old thread back to eat my hat.<P>Yes Grace - you were right!<P>I am temporarily coming out of retirement this week as a Guest Artist in "A Christmas Carol" for the City of Sydney Youth Ballet; dancing the role of Nephew, to Patrick Harding-Irmer's Scrooge.<P>Never say never...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 7:04 am 

TESTING TESTING 123

Profile E-mail