home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diablo Ballet 7th Anniversary Show
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 11:28 am 

A very intriguing work previewed by Blair Tindall:

Quote:
Diablo Ballet puts inner women onstage
Choreographer Kelly Teo lets troupe's female dancers express themselves in words and movement

Blair Tindall, Contra Costa Times

MEN WONDER what women talk about when they're not around. But because Diablo Ballet principal dancer Kelly Teo was really curious, he's created a ballet from his female colleagues' innermost thoughts.
This link is now broken.

And here's the press release for the show:

<a href=../../../ubb/Forum13/HTML/000164.html target=_blank>Diablo Ballet 7th Anniversary Show</a>
March 16 and 17, 2001 at the Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek

[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 28, 2002).]

<small>[ 17 May 2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Diablo Ballet 7th Anniversary Show
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:12 pm 

Also on the program is a reprise of Val Caniparoli's "Open Veins":<P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:34 pm 

Wow, Mr. Kelly Teo, interesting choreographic device! "Buy two bottles of wine (a friend of mine once called alcohol "truth serum")and get them to talk about their identity as women"!! Ha!! I never learned about THAT in "Choreography 101"!! LOL!!<BR>Question: did the women know they were being recorded and having a piece made with this text/issues?<P>PS What's a "choreologist"? Marina Eglevsky is listed as "choreologist"...not familiar with that one.<P><p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited March 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 10:12 pm 

Trina, I suppose "choreologist" is another term for "notator." From <A HREF="http://e-dancewear.com/" TARGET=_blank>e-dancewear.com</A>:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Today almost every major ballet company has a notator/choreologist on staff. These choreologists record works as they are created for the first time and also notate the major repertoire performed by the company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://e-dancewear.com/Dance_Wear_Ballet_Notation.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><P><BR>Also, there is this wonderful <A HREF="http://www.danceart.com/nydancescene/terms.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>DanceArt definitions page</B></A>.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 11:40 am 

Since we were talking about musical directors in the Boston Ballet thread, here's a story on Diablo Ballet's former musical director and conductor who is now director of the San Diego Symphony:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Pak To Leave The Symphony A Little Brighter In 2002</B><P>San Diego Daily Transcript<P>Having led the San Diego Symphony from silence to solvency, Jung-Ho Pak will step down from the conductor's podium at the end of the 2001-2002 season, citing his increasingly hectic schedule.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/sddt/20010315/lo/pak_to_leave_the_symphony_a_little_brighter_in_2002_1.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 6:54 am 

A review:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Ballet program is personal, but heavy-handed<BR>Anniversary of Diablo troupe includes emotional and unusual works that would have benefited from a trim</B><P>Blair Tindall, Contra Costa Times<P>The Diablo Ballet celebrated its seventh anniversary Saturday night at the Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek, with two intensely personal world premieres choreographed by members of its own company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/stories_feattop/x19diablo_20010319.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 11:19 pm 

Another review:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Diablo Ballet celebrated its seventh anniversary</B><P>Jeanne Fogler, Oakland Tribune<P>In "Women's Stories,' assistant artistic director Kelly Teo aims to combine dance and music with the spoken word - the recorded voices of the dancers - in a celebration of the lives of women. The ballet opened with the striking image of four women dragging chairs as if pulling a burdensome load, with additional chairs suspended from the ceiling to heighten the visual effect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://buzz.insidebayarea.com/S-ASP-Bin/ReformatSQLIndex.ASP?puid=4403&spuid=4403&Indx=742625&Article=ON&id=48140336&ro=0" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A> [Note this link is no longer available.]<p>[This message has been edited by Admin (edited April 08, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 8:55 pm 

I was certainly impressed with Kelly's "Women's Stories" as it was interesting to see how he revealed the evidence of true feelings/character of the Women.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 11:18 am 

Wow. Imagine sixteen hundred kids involved in a dance program:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sunvalley Mall presents Diablo Ballet’s Free 7th Annual Dance Development Theatre Encounter April 10th and 11th 2001 serving school children in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties. Sixteen hundred elementary and junior high students, many from under-served public schools, will participate in the magic of Diablo Ballet’s free Theatre Encounter held at the beautiful Dean Lesher Regional Center in Walnut Creek.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum13/HTML/000167.html target=_blank><B>More</B></a><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited March 27, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:02 pm 

<BR>Hey Trina:<P>apologies for the very late response...now that my computer is up and running again, i can hopefully answer your question...<P>Yes, the women knew that they were being recorded and very vaguely knew what i was going to ask them...I really wanted their answers to be as spontaneous as possible and made sure that noone read of a prepared script...While i structured some questions for them to think about earlier on, it was interesting that very few of these questions were asked during the recording session...<P>all in all, it was a fantastic experience for me listening to four very intelligent women speak about themselves...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:15 pm 

Kelly, I am so flattered that you responded to my question. How did you get this idea? About recording the women? I am interested in how you tied in the Chinese "foot binding" tradition. The connection with pointe work (ha!?)?<BR> Did you know that the musical "A Chorus Line" originated with a group of dancers, organized by director Michael Bennett who did the same thing. Got together and talked about how and why they became dancers? The recorded sessions became the inspiration for the musical. Personal story: I had a male friend who was a ballet dancer. (teenager at the time) But his family, a conservative, business oriented midwestern family would not support him in his goal. When my friend went with his father to see "A Chorus Line", the father was so emotionally moved by the stories of the dancers in the show, he had a "change of heart" and told his son, then and there, that he would support however, and for as long, as he needed help, to become a dancer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:19 pm 

Kelly-me again. Did I read somewhere that you danced with Oakland Ballet? If so, I have a question for you!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:51 pm 

Hi, KellyT, welcome. I'm glad you've finally de-lurked. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2001 11:42 am 

Hey Trina and Azlan:<P>thanks for your info on "A Chorus Line"....Yes, I danced for Oakland Ballet in 1995(i think?)..<P>"Women's Stories" is really about the celebration of women in Diablo Ballet--the celebration of their supreme grace and strength, individuality, technique and artistry and the common bond that exists in these extraordinary women. It is also about artists,not just female artists, finding their 'voices'. With this in mind, I approached our fantastic music producer, Mike Bemesderfer, to see the possibilities of underlaying the dancer's voices with a loop.<P>In order to celebrate the present, one cannot deny the past. The horrible act of "Footbinding" was to me a means of showing a woman's (or rather a little girl's) plight -- their powerlessness, pain and injustice. I CANNOT even imagine what it was like to have a foot bound but I make reference to it being similiar to wearing pointe shoes -- the extreme pain and blisters at the expense of beauty.<P>I have always been fascinated with women's stories in general...i remember my grandmother telling me many many stories when I was a kid...i now wished i had journaled them down :-(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2001 1:46 pm 

The impressions by Daedalus is moved into this thread:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This may be old news by now, but it was a great performance! I hope some of you managed to see it.<BR>Diablo Ballet 7th Anniversary Celebration, March 16-17 2001<P>Two World Premieres, one emerging guest choreographer and a Balanchine. Judging from the buzz of animated discussion during intermission, nobody in the audience remained unmoved by the dancing. All the dancers produced outstanding performances in demanding pieces that pushed the limits of expectation and convention.<P>Val Caniparoli’s “Open Veins” is based loosely on the death of Petronius Arbiter, an official in Emperor Nero's court who was forced to commit suicide by slitting his veins. Repeated for the Walnut Creek audience after being performed at Zellerbach Hall, the piece was created in 1998 for the Atlanta Ballet as a tour de force for four male dancers. Both the music and the dance are inspired by the suicide of Petronius and the sadness of senseless destruction. Honor, power, corruption, senseless violence, and the strength of a lone act permeate the performance. The dancers remain devastatingly alone even as they dance in unison. <P>What could present a greater contrast than to follow with a piece for four female dancers? Kelly Teo’s World Premiere “Women’s Stories” delves deeply into the female psyche and the intimate thoughts of modern women. The work is intensely personal, based on a recorded dinner conversation among Diablo ballerinas Tina Kay Bohnstedt, Karyn Lee Connell, Erika Johnson and Corinne Jonas. Wondering what women talk about when men aren’t around, Teo began with a questionnaire that asked what defined them as women. The conversation took on a life of its own, turning to very personal thoughts on dancing, career decisions, body image, maternal instincts, sexuality, and the influence of childhood games.<P>The first segment has all four women performing the same movements, but not in unison. It is painful to watch how they are controlled by convention, by social expectations, by their fears, and by their anxiety to please. Brief gestures of rebellion are immediately followed by gestures of conformity and compliance. Sexuality and individuality are repressed.<P>Each dancer then returns to the stage, having shed her frumpy housecoat, and dances to the sound of her own recorded voice. With relief, we see them emerge as individuals and as strong women, sure of themselves and their convictions. As their stories emerge, we don’t know whether to laugh or cry. It is fascinating but slightly uncomfortable to hear such intimate thoughts, though the dancers proudly claim their words without embarrassment. Their confessions are profoundly moving, and touchingly honest. <P>The topics discussed are woven into the choreography, with the actual dinner party conversation recording woven into the musical score. Teo says that the end result is a celebration of the Diablo Ballet;s women – their strengths, and their ability to function as a cohesive group made of their individual voices. <P>“Women’s Stories” was just recently awarded the prestigious Choo-San Goh grant, and is Teo’s fifth work for the company. The music is by Estonian Composer Arvo Part, and Irish Composer Aphex Twin, with sound collage by Michael Bermesderfer.<P>The second World Premiere is by Diablo dancer/choreographer Nikolai Kabanaiev, who also composed the score “Your Eyes” from which the name of the dance is taken. Nikolai’s training at the famed Vaganova School in St. Petersburg, Russia encourages dancers to be well-rounded in their artistic training. He had eight years of training in classical piano and, and began composing at the age of fourteen. After dancing became his focus, he continued to compose music like some would write a diary – to record an emotional experience. His score is composed on a keyboard, with additional sounds woven into the piano melody as dictated by the emotion that he is trying to convey.<P>The choreography is for four dancers, one “real” character and three “imagined”. This time there are two men and two women. “Your Eyes” is based an experience of emotional impact. This impact is something that occurs within one person, but is inspired by another. How much is imagined inside the one person? How much is part of the “real” world? Kabaniaev writes “I know exactly what I am doing, and then I look into your eyes” There is chaos, magic, and vertigo. “Is it fantasy? Or is it your eyes?”<P>This is the first time that Kabaniaev choreographs without point shoes, but there is no awkwardness. He adjusts the music based on the choreography, which is in turn adjusted according to the strengths of each dancer. His demanding choreography pushes the limits of the dancers, using their individual strengths and talents, and defies dance convention. His approach is not about coming up with new steps or moves, it is about the kind of emotion that is produced. This is mirrored in his approach to musical composition, using whatever sounds best express the desired emotion.<P>The program finished with the whirlwind ballet “Who Cares” choreographed by George Balanchine, with music by George Gershwin. Music of the Roaring 20’s combines with choreography from the Mod/Disco 70’s in an unique freshness and flouting of convention. Danced with impeccable technique and lighthearted virtuosity, the Diablo company paid homage to the roots of modern ballet. Some of the moves are dated, but the spirit remains fresh. It is not the culture of today, but it is one of the cornerstones of our cultural heritage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>