public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFB Program 6 - 'Night,' Solo from 'The End,' 'L'A
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 8:45 pm 

Image <BR>Julia Adam's "Night"<BR>Photo by Marty Sohl<P><BR>Casting has been announced for the opening night of SFB's Program 6, which includes the witty "Night" by Julia Adam, Solo from "The End," the passionate "L'Arlésienne" by Roland Petit, and the sexy "Symphony in Three Movements" by Balanchine.<P><BR><B>Tuesday, April 3, 8:00 PM - Opening Night</B><P><I>Night</I><BR>Conductor: Scott Speck<BR>Tina LeBlanc, Benjamin Pierce, Peter Brandenhoff, Damian Smith, Leslie Young, Julie Diana, Catherine Baker, Erik Wagner, David Arce, Moises Martin, Pablo Piantino <P>Solo from <I>The End</I><BR>Christopher Stowell<BR> <BR>- - INTERMISSION - -<P><I>L'Arlésienne</I><BR>Conductor: Emil de Cou <BR>Girl: Lucia Lacarra<BR>Boy: Pierre-François Vilanoba<P>- - INTERMISSION - -<P><I>Symphony In Three Movements</I><BR>Conductor: Paul Hoskins <BR>Lorena Feijoo, Parrish Maynard, Julie Diana, Yuri Possokhov, Kristin Long, Christopher Stowell<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited April 02, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SFB Program 6 - 'Night,' Solo from 'The End,' 'L'A
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 8:55 pm 

Here are a couple of related links:<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/01/arts/01BERM.html" TARGET=_blank><B>NY Times article that talks about Julia Adam and her "Night"</B></A><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.voiceofdance.com/Insights/vchat.global.trans.cfm?ChatSchedule_ID=2000000000000026" TARGET=_blank><B>Julia Adam transcript on Voice of Dance</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 7:08 pm 

Azlan,<P>Could you tell me what "Solor from The End" is? This must be a late addition to the program?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 8:43 pm 

Oops, Belinda, that should read Solo from <I>The End</I>, that I understand is a solo for Christopher Stowell to be performed just for the opening night of Program 6. I am awaiting confirmation and more details.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 8:44 pm 

Azlan -- thank you for the information!<P>I'll also be interested in hearing some reviews/comments of the performances.<BR>I envy those who can see "L'Arsienne"!<BR>Also, will anyone be going to the SFB School<BR>performance? If you are, I'd like to know how they turn out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 8:45 pm 

For the rest of the casting, follow this link to <A HREF="http://www.sfballet.org/2001season/casting.php" TARGET=_blank><B>SFB's casting web page</B></A>.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 8:47 pm 

Azlan -- Seeing that Vanessa Zahorian has been getting a lot of principal roles this season, do you think she will be promoted at the end of the season? I think the SFB principals are great, but it seems as if there are more principals than soloists! I know some companies don't like this and like to make the principal category very exclusive but SFB doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 8:53 pm 

Hot potato question, Terry... Too fast and you upset the balance... Yes, isn't it interesting that SFB has a lot more principals than soloists?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 8:01 am 

Belinda, <I>The End</I> is a work by Kudelka. The solo I have been told is technically challenging. Christopher Stowell will be performing it as part of his farewell (Note though that his final farewell performance is in on April 20th).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 2:07 pm 

My good friend, MEHunt, has alerted me of a wonderful feature on "Night" on the web site she manages:<P><A HREF="http://www.voiceofdance.org/Insights/insights.trans.col.cfm?LinkID=25000000000000060" TARGET=_blank><B>Voice of Dance feature on Julia Adam's "Night"</B></A><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited April 03, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 9:40 pm 

Quick impressions:<P>We were all eagerly awaiting Julia Adam's "Night" and a work by Roland Petit but in the end it was good old Balanchine who satisfied.<P>For some reason, "Night" wasn't as exciting, witty and entertaining as it was when it premiered last season. Those who saw it for the first time loved it though.<P>Petit's "L'Arlesienne" was beautiful to watch. Both Pierre-Francois Vilanoba and Lucia Lacarra were beautiful to watch. But for me, there seemed a little too much gloom and not enough release.<P>Balanchine's "Symphony in Three Movements" danced to that remarkable score by Stravinsky was what finally showed SFB's class. This company's detractors will say that it is not the definitive Balanchine company, yet there are NYCB loyalists who lament that company's lack of faithfulness to Balanchine. Tonight I didn't care about those arguments. Julia Diana was sexy, Lorena Feijoo was sexy, Kristin Long was sexy, Parrish Maynard was sexy, Christopher Stowell was sexy, and Yuri Possokhov was sexy. I enjoyed watching them all.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited April 04, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 7:16 am 

With all due respect, Night was just as exciting, witty and entertaining was it was last year, even more so in my mind. It's a beautiful work and one that I feel should have closed the evening. The Petit reminded me of a Tallulah Bankhead quote-while in the audience of stage performance she remarked to a friend "there's less here then meets the eye." Beautifully danced though. And the Balanchine was delightful.<P>:-) <BR>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:25 am 

Julian Adam is interviewed by Sima Belmar in the Bay Guardian:<P>"CITIZENS OF SAN Francisco might know Julia Adam as the laughing blond ballerina featured in San Francisco Ballet's latest (and most disturbing) ad campaign. Balletomanes know her as one of SFB's principal ballerinas and hottest young choreographers. If the ballerina stereotype involves emaciation, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and a certain airheadedness that comes with tunnel-vision training, then Julia Adam is here to take it down."<P> <A HREF="http://www.sfbg.com/AandE/35/27/dance.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sfbg.com/AandE/35/27/dance.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:49 am 

Well, okay, DavidH, maybe some us are getting a little jaded. "Night" <I>is</I> good. Interesting to note though that a balletomane in the audience noted that she was thrilled at each of the three performances of "Night" she saw last season, yet she too found last night's performance to be a little flat. I do however still recommend that all ballet and dance fans try to catch "Night." It is not only an artistic work but also entertaining; I like especially the use of two halves that convey two contrasting aspects of a night's dream.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:57 am 

Perhaps because no one expected Night to be the resounding success that it was last year,(even Julia didn't)so it made an even bigger impact. One year later I was happy it was still wonderful and has lasting power. I'm not sure how any balletomane couldn't at least have been thrilled by the performance of Tina LeBlanc. The woman is amazing. <p>[This message has been edited by DavidH (edited April 04, 2001).]

Profile E-mail