public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: titles
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2001 6:48 pm 

I think one of the problems might be that we are dealing with at least two different languages here.<P>And to add to the stew here are some more titles that are used:<P>Ballerina<BR>Ballerino - (Red Shoes says this is used in Italy).<BR>Prima Ballerina<BR>Primo Ballerino<BR>Danseur<BR>Danseuse<BR>Prima Ballerina Assoluta (Italian?)<BR>Danseur Nobel (French?)<BR>Soloist (lst and 2nd) (American, British?)<BR>Principal Dancer (American British?)<P>From Wilson's Dictionary of the Ballet as of the 1974 publication of the book the ranks for the Paris Opera Ballet were:<P>Premieres Danseurs étoiles<BR>Premieres Danseuses étoiles<BR>Premieres Danseures<BR>Premieres Danseuses<BR>Grands Sujets<BR>Petits Sujets<BR>Coryphées (leaders of the corps de ballet)<BR>Premier Quadrilles<BR>Seconds Quadrilles<BR>élevés - (les petis rats)<P>and the last in Italy was known as:<P>Spinazit (élevés)<P>certainly muddies the water doesn't it?<P>gave me a headache too, LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 1:28 pm 

Stuart - The Vittoria Ottolenghi programmes are generally transmitted on RAI UNO, which is the Italian equivalent of BBC1. They normally go out in the summer months between 10.00-13.30 on Saturdays. The programmes come under the general title of MARATONA D'ESTATE and they are usually very interesting.<P>Basheva - Bortoluzzi rings a bell. I believe he worked in the same school as me in Milan about 15 years ago. Do you know Roberto Fascilla or James Urbain? I also worked with them in Milan. Fascilla in particular is a delightful person, who never once 'lorded it' over us lesser mortals and it was great that despite coming from two very different methods, we were able to work harmoniously and cheerfully together.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 3:51 pm 

Red Shoes - Paolo Bortoluzzi was a very fine dancer, indeed. I have a couple of tapes of him dancing with Carla Fracci and the Joffrey Ballet.<P>According to my Wilson Dictionary, he studied under Dell'Ara in Milan and as as several others including Béjart, and Messerer. He was a principal dancer with Béjart, and joined American Ballet Theater as a guest artist - I remember him as being a principal there too. I did not know him personally.<P>James Urbain is also listed in this dictionary, as is Roberto Fascilla. If you want to know what the dictionary says - let me know. <P>Here is what a Google search gives on Bortoluzzi:<P><A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Paolo+Bortoluzzi%22&btnG=Google+Search" TARGET=_blank><B>PAOLO BORTOLUZZI</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 7:47 pm 

I came across an interesting reference on belly dancing that reports that the title of Prima Belly Dancer Assoluta is awarded to any belly dancer that reaches the age of fifty. It used to be seen as a reward for years of dedication to the art of belly dancing.<P>However, as most dancers receiving this title tend to have by then lost suppleness in their main asset, namely their belly, many dancers today actually fear and loathe receiving this award; having such a title is guaranteed to lose a dancer prime gigs. So there is a move to petition the Grand Poobah of Belly Dancing to abolish this title altogether. However, there is a rumor that the Worldwide Belly Dancing Federation and the International Belly Dancing Committee would prefer to keep the title and will be meeting to decide upon a new age limit. The WBDF prefers to raise it by ten years while the IBDC prefers 15.<P>In protest, national associations of belly dancers may decide to form their own organization called the Federation Internationale de Belly Dancing Associations or the FIBDA.<P>Stay tuned.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited April 02, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 1:16 am 

I picked this correspondence up a little late. Am totally happy to see Bruhn,Youskevitch and Cope identified as danseurs nobles having been lucky enough to see them all perform. I would include Michael Somes under this heading as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 1:01 pm 

Dear Basheva - We apparently have the same taste in books: Not only have we both read the lovely old tome about Pavlova, but we also both have G.B.L. Wilson's Dictionary of Ballet.<P>Mine is ca. 1974 and Fonteyn is still alive in it, as are so many others...<P>I think I got confused over the Italian name as regards Bortoluzzi. The studio owner was an ex-Scala dancer, and was always mentioning people she knew. Middle age setting in on my part I guess!<BR>But I did have the privilege of working with Fascilla for a few years. He is semi-retired now, but did a lot of choreography and teaching as well as being Direttore of the Corps de Ballet at Naples Opera House. Anyone seen his 'Tangos' with music by Astor Piazzolla?<P>(ps - By the way Basheva, David is still having to reply to posts re your departure from the other board.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 4:07 pm 

Red Shoes, my friend, my Wilson book is also 1974. I have used it for all these years and have found it to be a wonderful book regardless of its age.<P>The Pavlova book I have is "Anna Pavlova, Her Life and Art" by Keith Money, Alfred A. Knopf publisher, 1982. It is the most fantastic book of her - with the greatest pictures I have ever seen. Has all of her repertoire, itinararies, etc. I never get tired of looking at the pictures. It has pictures I have NEVER seen anywhere else. The book itself is a very large size as well as over 400 pages in length.<P>Yes, Red Shoes, my mailbox is full of people telling me I am missed. Which makes me feel much better. And, thank you for telling me.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:39 pm 

Basheva - I'll have to look into the Pavlova book you mention. The one I read was by Dandré.<P>