CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lines Contemporary Ballet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 5:57 pm 

Image <BR>Photo by Marty Sohl<P>Alonzo King's Lines Contemporary Ballet is ready to make a splash in SF with its two-week run at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.<P>Here's a quote from the press info:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>- World Premiere by Alonzo King with music by Leslie Stuck and lighting design by Axel Morgenthaler<P>- World Premiere by Alonzo King with music by Terry Riley and lighting design by Lisa Pinkham<P>- Reprise of Tango (2000) with music by Astor Piazzolla<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>More info can be found in the <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000024.html" TARGET=_blank>press release thread</A>.<P>Reviews to follow when they are available.

Post subject: Re: Lines Contemporary Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 11:00 am 

A review in the SJ Mercury News:<P><B><A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/lines23.htm" TARGET=_blank>Lines Ballet's new works are powerful, inscrutable</A></B><BR>Anita Amirrezvani, San Jose Mercury News<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 23, 2000).]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:52 pm 

It looks like Octavia Roca liked the show too:<P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/24/DD8405.DTL" TARGET=_blank>'Enemy' Bristles With Electricity</A></B><BR>Ambitious, dramatic work opens Lines' dance season<BR>Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 3:19 pm 

And finally, a review from the SF Examiner:<P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/2000/10/24/STYLE1460.dtl" TARGET=_blank>King's growth evident</A></B><BR>Lines choreographer's 'Soothing' marks evolution in style<BR>Allan Ulrich, SF Examiner<P>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 8:57 am 

I saw Lines last night and I would encourage anyone in the San Francisco/Bay Area to see this company. Beautiful dancers, wonderful music and choreography and the lighting was divine! <P>DH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 10:26 am 

DavidH, I too enjoyed the LINES dancers, as usual. The dancers are indeed gorgeous and the lighting was lush. However, do you get the sense that you've seen all the steps before? It's just an observation some people made to me before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 10:34 am 

Yes I do Azlan. A complete program of one choreographer's works is very difficult for me (Balanchine NOT included) and I kept wondering what those beautiful dancers would look like doing other's work. Don't they get bored? They certainly don't look as if they are.<BR>DH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 12:34 pm 

I know what you mean DavidH and one choreographer companies can become dull for an audience.<P>But as far as I can make out, what dancers really want is work being made on them rather than learning existing pieces. This could be the reason why the Lines dancers enjoy being part of the Company.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 11:40 am 

For all you Alonzo King and LINES fans out there, the company has announced its national tour:<P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum13/HTML/000172.html target=_blank><B>Alonzo King's LINES Ballet National Tour 2001</B></a>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 7:15 pm 

Can I ask a dumb question here? Why does Alonzo King call his work "ballet". I saw a piece he did on Ailey recently called "Following the Subtle Current Upstream". It DIDN'T look like ballet to me. It looked like an Ailey piece...or a Cunningham piece. ...or a Dwight Rhoden piece maybe...but not "ballet". Anybody? Of course, a choreographer is entitled to call his work whatever he wants; I guess I'm looking for some aesthetic insights into this particular choice!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 7:17 pm 

Very good question, Trina. Perhaps DavidH can try this one...<P>In the meantime, let's see if someone from the company wants to respond.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:36 pm 

Has anyone seen Chiharu Shibata?<BR>I know that she is a principal with Lines...<BR>she looks beautiful in pictures and I'd like to know how she is when she actually performs...any comments?<P>Thanks very much in advance~

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:48 pm 

Terry, as DavidH, Belinda and all the others from the SF Bay Area will tell you, LINES has some of the most awesome dancers. You have to be to perform Alonzo King's works. Chiharu Shibata does look great in movement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 8:54 am 

Here's a guess on the "ballet" categorization. King's dancers train in ballet and many come from classical ballet companies like Hamburg Ballet and San Francisco Ballet. Plus they usually dance on pointe. To my mind, King takes the ballet vocabulary and willingly distorts it--sometimes so far that it doesn't look like ballet anymore--but ballet is the starting point for this distortion.<P>As for the Lines dancers: Chiharu Shibata is only one of many fantastic dancers. Marina Hotchkiss has been with the co. for a long time and she has an appealing serenity about her. Maurya Kerr is amazing too. Still photos don't do them justic. I have to say I don't always like King's choreography but I always enjoy his dancers, and we have to give him credit for shaping them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:47 am 

Now King works with pygmies:<P><a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/08/29/DD196354.DTL target=_blank>King to work with pygmy dancers -- Florida premiere for 'People of Forest'</a><BR>David Wiegand, SF Chronicle