public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Artistic Directors
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 11:03 am 

How many weeks are the Oakland dancers under contract? I seem to recall that they were limited to only four or five months per year -- essentially, the time when SFB is put out of the War Memorial by the intricacies of scheduling an opera season and ballet season in a single space. Have they also been adversely impacted by the advent of Cleveland/San Jose in the proximate market?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 7:36 pm 

trina, I heard a former dancer with Oakland say the company was better about seven to eight years ago. However, I really don't know myself. I don't know how factual this statement is. I do know, from what I've seen, that there are better companies in the Bay Area.<P>Francis, I remember one of the current dancers saying that they were down to 13 or 15 weeks in their contract last season. They might be gaining a couple weeks in the upcoming season.<P>Also, when Ronn Guidi left a couple seasons ago, Assistant AD and Principal Dancer Joral Schmalle took over the reins. When he left for Smuin's company during the summer, the post was vacant for an embarassingly long time. As I recall, the season brochure was published without an AD listed!<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 18, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 9:40 am 

I know someone in the recent company. Every year for the past several years, their contracts were shorter and shorter. Apparently, the city of Oakland withdrew their traditional amount of funding, claiming something like ballet is an "elitist" art form, and not appropriate for future funding. I don't know if that info. is public knowledge or not? Sad, if true.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 9:00 pm 

I think we are in danger of turning this thread into an Oakland Ballet thread. So I've started a new thread at:<P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000298.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000298.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 10:39 pm 

Waaaaay up there in this topic someplace Azlan uses the abbreviation ED - I'm not sure what that is. Everything (else) Director?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 3:27 am 

ED<P>Executive Director, I expect. In some companies the position is that of Managing Director.<P><BR>As to nominations for AD, I'd like to throw in Terry Orr's name from Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre. The company looks amazing after three years of his participation. Also moral seems to be good, and just everything generally healthy. Not to say Patricia WIlde was doing anything wrong...I just think fresh blood and a new perspective sometimes fuel change. Patricia is still involved with the company.<P>(PS later...I corrected one late night mistake...I'll leave the other one for everyone's viewing pleasure...and to allow the next post to make sense)<p>[This message has been edited by BabsLights (edited July 19, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 5:49 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Also moral seems to be good<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Relieved to hear it, particularly in a ballet company, but I guess this may be a Freudian slip. <P>Hope you'll forgive me Babslight, but when you get to my age you need a few things to cheer you up.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 19, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 7:42 am 

Thank you so much for starting a separate thread on Oakland Ballet, Azlan. <P>My tabulation shows one vote each for: Makhar Vaziev (Mariinsky), Alexei Fadeyechev (Bolshoi), Francia Russell (PNB), William Forsythe (Frankfurt), Helgi Tomasson (SFB), Ron Guidi (ex-Oakland), Terry Orr (Pittsburgh). We have one new thread on David Bintley that could use a bit more commentary. Are there others on the list above about whom anyone would like to expand further? If so, please feel free to start a new thread and open the discussion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 9:18 pm 

Yes, ED = Executive Director. In some companies, it's called General Manager or Company Manager.

Profile E-mail