public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Baryshnikov now...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 4:01 pm 

an interview:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.adn.com/weekend/story/0,2645,199299,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.adn.com/weekend/story/0,2645,199299,00.html</A> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>8: Why are you taking an artistic risk like this now? <P>MB: It's not a risk; it's just fun. Crossing the street -- that's a risk. - - -<P>8: How do you suggest audiences approach postmodern dance, which often has no story, no music, no metaphor, no emotion? <P>MB: Just sit and open your eyes and open your heart. If your only experience with dance is "The Nutcracker," it will be shocking. hopefully in a good way. As an audience member, you have to participate. Ask "What do they want to say?" If you want to see girls en pointe and men doing double tours, stay home. It's not "Sleeping Beauty." It's not "Cats" either. <P>8: Could you talk about postmodern dance technique? Without turnout and pointed toes, people may assume there's no technique. <P>MB: It's not about how high you can lift your leg. It's a different technique, based on different values. It's about transparency, simplicity and making an earnest attempt. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Baryshnikov now...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 3:43 am 

As always, it's debateable where particular items should go in our various categories. However, given the material that they perform today, I can't help thinking that this should be down in 'Modern' with theother White Oak material.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:16 pm 

oh, yeah: see your point....i just think of baryshnikov as a 'ballet icon', so that people who want to read about him would lok in ballet...ACTUALLY.....since you've brought this up.....i've been thinking we have reached the stag enow where we need a separate section for PEOPLE...because it's not the first time i've wondered where to put stuff which is really about the PERSON - not about their performances, their choreography, their politics, their issues, whatever.....what do you think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:24 pm 

oops - forgot to say that i think it could go in LOBBY, (where People go..) or in BEHIND THE SCENES (where People are.....).....<P>and that i am happy to do the work of moving the threads, as soon as you agree - IF you agree? stuart? azlan? others? all opinions welcome, although the admins will do the deciding! (that's not meant to put you off commenting...) Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:53 pm 

I understood why Baryshikov stuff might start out in 'Ballet', but thought a notice in 'Modern' or something might help tie the discussion together. <P>As for having another forum on individuals, I'll have to think about it.<p>[This message has been edited by Priscilla (edited October 01, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:07 am 

priscilla - i've boo-boo'd - actually what i meant was: what were people's thoughts about starting a separate forum section for PEOPLE postings?<P>we have threads on guillem, barysh, frank augustyn, darcey bussell, monica mason, twyla tharp, jeremy sheffield, jeremy james, glasco (more than a few), several indian dancers, michael flatley, and so on....as well as obituaries.<P>normally we make these decisions privately, and i realise i shouldn't have made this one public, but i did...so, pending stuart's response when he sees this thread....i figured others might as well give their thoughts.....for what it's worth...<P>sorry that wasn't clear!<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:25 am 

moving this thread, as originally suggested to MODERN DANCE. sorry all. please go there.....

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]