public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacific Northwest Ballet Announces New Executive Directo
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 8:02 pm 

<HTML><BR><HEAD><BR><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252"><BR><META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97"><BR><TITLE>PACIFIC NORTHWEST BALLET ANNOUNCES</TITLE><BR><META NAME="Template" CONTENT="C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\html.dot"><BR></HEAD><BR><BODY LINK="#0000ff" VLINK="#800080"><P><FONT FACE="ClassGarmnd BT,Bookman Old Style"><P>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE</FONT><FONT FACE="ClassGarmnd BT,Bookman Old Style" SIZE=4> </FONT><FONT FACE="ClassGarmnd BT,Bookman Old Style">Contact: Brad Phillips</P><BR><P>May 3, 2000 (206) 441-2426</P><BR></FONT><B><FONT FACE="ClassGarmnd BT,Bookman Old Style" SIZE=4><P ALIGN="CENTER">PACIFIC NORTHWEST BALLET ANNOUNCES<BR><BR>NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR</P><BR></B></FONT><FONT FACE="ClassGarmnd BT,Bookman Old Style" SIZE=2><P>SEATTLE---Pacific Northwest Ballet's Board of Trustees announced today that D. David Brown, most recently Executive Director of Boston Ballet, has been named as its new Executive Director. Brown, who will report directly to the Board of Trustees, as did his predecessor, will start immediately. </P><BR><P>"David was the unanimous choice of the Search Committee and the Artistic Directors and we are very excited that he will be joining PNB," said Cathi Hatch, Chairperson Elect and member of the Board’s Search Committee. "David is nationally respected in the field of ballet and we are enthusiastic about his strong management experience, energy and proven leadership ability. His skills will be a significant asset for PNB, as we seek to strengthen our financial position and transition into a new performance venue while continuing to set new standards for artistic innovation and creativity."</P><BR><P>Brown's career in ballet spans nearly 29 years. Starting as a dancer in the <I>corps</I> in Boston Ballet, Brown moved to Director of Production in 1981 and subsequently served in the role of General Manager, a position he held from 1983-1998. He was most recently its Executive Director until June 1999, when he left to pursue arts consulting. </P><BR><P>Brown's most notable achievements occurred during his tenure as General Manager and Executive Director when he had significant responsibilities that affected both the company's bottom line and its reputation as a top ballet company. Highlights include:</P><P><UL><BR><LI>Brown's supervision of Boston Ballet's revenue growth from a small regional company to an internationally renowned organization with a $16.5 million annual budget that makes it one of the largest dance companies in North America; </LI><BR><LI>Brown's participation in creating and implementing various strategic initiatives to support the artistic growth of the company, such as national and European tours in the early 1980s, which brought heightened visibility and international stature to the company; </LI><BR><LI>Brown's instrumental work in the construction of a 60,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility to house the artistic, administrative and educational functions of Boston Ballet and its Center for Dance Education. </LI></UL><P>Brown currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Dance/USA, the national organization for professional dance, and as a Trustee of the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) Retirement Plan & Health Fund. </P><BR><P>"I look forward to my arrival in Seattle," said Brown, "and to contributing my energy to furthering the success of one of the nation's finest ballet companies. I have long admired the work of PNB’s Artistic Directors, Kent Stowell and Francia Russell, and I look forward to working with them to ensure the highest levels of artistic and financial success at Pacific Northwest Ballet."</P><BR><P>"We are extremely pleased that David is joining us," said Kent Stowell and Francia Russell. "He is passionate about ballet and thoroughly understands the issues we face on a daily basis. We welcome him as a highly-respected colleague and valued partner in our continuing efforts to make PNB a national leader in the performing arts."</P><BR><P> </P></FONT></BODY><BR></HTML><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pacific Northwest Ballet Announces New Executive Directo
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2000 11:46 am 

Anyone from Boston with any views or comments on Mr. Brown's record there?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2000 12:39 pm 

Tangentially related to this topic-did anyone read that Anne Derieax (spelling), a principal dancer from PNB just recently resigned from PNB. Although only 33, ms. Derieaux is retiring, sadly. She is one of my favorite PNB dancers. Ms. D. is French trained and danced previously with Ballet Russe de MC. She said that she is resigning from PNB becasue of "lack of artistic guidance". She claims (allegedly) that she is only give technical guidance when learning her roles, no artistic coaching. In response to this, artistic director Francia Russell said that the dancers are coached for technical guidance, but as far as artistic/acting, they know that they're "on their own".......I thought this was an "interesting" comment, shall we say.(!?!?)Anyone interested can reach the Seattle Times website at "seattletimes.com". It was in this past Sunday's (Arts and Entertainment section) issue....(sorry I'm not more computer saavy and be able to give you the "URL, cookie, irtnog" (that's what it sounds like to me,,,,teehee)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2000 2:43 pm 

grace, what would we do without you...I'm hopeless...thanks so much for locating that website and moving this topic!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2000 9:50 am 

This topic is very interesting to me -<P><BR>I'm definitely sending a copy of my work to this company after September. <p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited May 27, 2000).]

Profile E-mail