public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karole Armitage -
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 7:24 am 

From the New York Times:<P><BR><B>KAROLE ARMITAGE: PUNK PRINCESS OF DANCE RETURNS</B><P><BR> Image <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>FLORENCE, Italy — It was New Year's Eve in Florence and the Duomo was shrouded in cold, gray mist. Tourists shivering under umbrellas scurried past the American choreographer Karole Armitage, who stood at the center of the Ponte Vecchio. Its span may be no match for the Brooklyn Bridge, but to Ms. Armitage it is a place of sheer beauty and conflicting memories. This was the first time in nearly two years that she had returned to the city where she spent three seasons as artistic director of MaggioDanza de Firenze, a 45-member ballet company that she led to a turnaround success.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/21/arts/21ROBE.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE</B></A><P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Karole Armitage -
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 11:11 am 

Well I'm surprised this is the first post on CD about Karole Armitage, the "punk ballerina." For those who are interested in reading more about her, here's a link to her website:<BR>Karole Armitage - <A HREF="http://www.karolearmitage.com/" TARGET=_blank>www.karolearmitage.com</A><P> Image <p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited January 21, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:19 am 

From the New York Times, review by Anna Kisselgoff:<P><BR><B>CHEEKINESS WITH TENSION IN A SPIRITED POWER STRUGGLE</B><P><BR> Image <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Karole Armitage's transformation as a dancer in Merce Cunningham's company from sandy-haired obedient performer to brilliant technician with a blond punk haircut was swift (1976-1980).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/29/arts/29ARMI.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE</B></A><P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 6:23 pm 
I've seen Karole Armitage's dancing once in the mid-1980s when her company performed in the Dance Umbrella in London

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 8:55 pm 

What'd you think, Kevin? She used to be the "bad girl" of ballet. Really, I consider her one of those "hybrids"= combination of ballet and modern!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 10:18 pm 
I remember I was very impressed by both her dancing and her choreography. I liked her attempt to test the extemities of the classical technique. Actually I saw her in the audience once as well on a visit to New York to watch NYCB.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 7:20 am 

I am looking at the pictures here in this thread. I have never seen this dancer - but from the pictures in doesn't look like ballet to me.<P>Tell me why this is considered ballet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 11:29 am 

The February 2001 issue of Talk magazine has an interview with Armitage in which she discusses her return to NYC and her work...

Profile E-mail