public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Ballet of Canada Fall 2005
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:55 am 

Louise Kennedy of the Boston Globe waxes enthusiastically over Mr. K’s Cinderella to debut for Boston Ballet in the Fall.

Quote:
And then there’s the bit of illogic that always irked him: the shoes. Traditionally, Cinderella dances her pre-ball scenes in flat ballet shoes, then gets promoted to pointe shoes. But especially for a story so focused on shoes -- that glass slipper! -- Kudelka felt it made more sense for her to start out with nothing. So his Cinderella is barefoot until her fairy godmother comes along and puts her up on pointe. “'It’s about transformation,” he says.

It makes more emotional sense, and it also creates a visual metaphor of Cinderella’s metamorphosis into an elegant creature at the ball. In Boechler’s Art Deco costume design, the elongated line of a foot en pointe flows naturally from Cinderella’s sleek Erte-inspired gown. “'The pointe shoe is a weird thing; it’s an odd silhouette,” Kudelka says. Here, “it sort of creates this giraffe look.”

Cinderella as a giraffe: Really, once you see it, it all makes perfect sense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:14 am 

Aleksandar Antonijevic graces the cover of this Autumn’s edition of Dance International. Kudos to double A for having the courage to speak about Kimberly Glasco. In case you had your head decapitated 5 years ago, were cryogenically frozen and just defrosted, Kimberly Glasco won a reported million dollar lawsuit versus the National Ballet of Canada for wrongful dismissal (settled out of court in July of 2000).

Quote:
The first role Antonijevic danced in Canada was the Prince in Celia Franca’s Nutcracker, with Kimberly Glasco, who became his frequent partner.

“She was truly an inspiration, not only as a partner but as a friend, a mentor. I wanted to be good enough to dance with her.”

Images of Ms Glasco have been removed from the Walter Carsen Centre (the last time I visited anyway) and I cannot recollect any time a member of the NBoC has spoken her name during an NBoC function. Hence, my kudos go out to AA for his honesty and chivalry. In this day and age where most employees live in fear of speaking the truth, it is indeed very refreshing to hear someone speak their mind!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:55 am 

Ballet critic Michael Crabb waxed most enthusiastically over the appointment of Karen Kain as AD for the NBoC in the Autumn edition of his Dance International Notebook.

Quote:
Kain will bring common sense, intelligence and humanity to her multifaceted new role…

Kain has brains, artistic integrity, excellent taste and an impressive network of contacts throughout the dance world. It’s hard to think of anyone who wouldn’t take a call from Kain. Her sterling work ethic, professional commitment and warm, outgoing personality have won Kain universal respect…

I sincerely hope Karen Kain can live up to ALL of the above. The times I’ve heard her speak to a large audience, she seemed nervous and a little forced trying to be nice. Just a suggestion, lose that painted on ballerina corps de ballet smile and just be yourself! I do wish her good luck because there will be a lot of high expectations and pressure with the move to the new Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.

They have to create new ballet fans, keep those they already have and do so at affordable ticket prices. Not an easy task with the current government being tighter than Jack Benny! When it comes to giving to the arts the Liberals throw pennies around like manhole covers! Perhaps she can make a critical breakthrough squeezing more money from the public and more importantly, CORPORATE purse.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:19 am 

Noreen Arnold

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:36 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casting for La Sylphide was posted this morning on the NBofC site. Rebekah Rimsay is the witch Madge one night and the Sylph the next! I want to see Nilolaj Hubbe's performance....I see he will have Jennifer Fournier as his lead on the 24th. Also good news, Lamy is back as a guest.

ALEKSANDAR ANTONIJEVIC (Nov. 23 at 7:30 pm/ Nov. 25 at 7:30 pm)
NEHEMIAH KISH (Nov. 24 at 2 pm)
NIKOLAJ Hübbe (Nov. 24 at 7:30 pm)
GUILLAUME CÔTÉ (Nov. 26 at 2 pm/ Nov. 27 at 2 pm)
KEIICHI HIRANO (Nov. 26 at 7:30 pm)

La Sylphide XIAO NAN YU (Nov. 23 @7:30 pm/ Nov. 25 at 7:30 pm)
HEATHER OGDEN (Nov. 24 at 2 pm)
JENNIFER FOURNIER (Nov. 24 at 7:30 pm/ Nov. 27 at 2 pm)
REBEKAH RIMSAY (Nov. 26 at 2 pm)
SONIA RODRIGUEZ (Nov. 26 at 7:30 pm)

Madge MARTINE LAMY (Nov. 23 at 7:30 pm/ Nov. 25 at 7:30 pm)
REBEKAH RIMSAY (Nov. 24 at 2 pm/ Nov. 26 at 7:30 pm)
VICTORIA BERTRAM (Nov. 24 at 7:30 pm/ Nov. 26 at 2 pm/ Nov. 27 at 2 pm)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:44 am 

The Dean of Canadian Ballet Writers, William Littler, reminisces wistfully of[url=http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1130408361679&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes]
Sleeping Beauties past.[/url] Obviously Mr. K’s purse strings have been cut by Mrs. K:

Quote:
“At the press conference last season announcing her popular appointment as artistic director, Karen Kain was pointedly asked whether the National Ballet of Canada would be going ahead with plans to produce a new version of The Sleeping Beauty.

Nimbly avoiding a definitive answer, the erstwhile ballerina reaffirmed her desire to preserve the company's classical heritage.

To some of her listeners, this was a polite way of saying no to her predecessor James Kudelka’s announced intention to re-make yet another of the full-length ballet classics in his own choreographic image.”

No new Sleeping Beauty for you! I enjoyed the Nureyev version; however, it could use some improvements:

(a) His version focuses too much on the Prince (big surprise)!
(b) It is a tad long!
(c) Some of The National’s costumes (Bluebird) have suffered some wear and tear.

If Mr. K. won’t be creating any more new works, I suspect he may be choreographing elsewhere after the National’s move into the Four Seasons Centre.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:50 am 

Many thanks to Noreen for posting casting for the La Sylphide/Intermezzo program. I called the National for Swan Lake casting which is BEFORE the above and they told me it is still undecided. Are there some injuries that perhaps have caused the delay?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:10 pm 

At long last, the NBoC has released casting for Swan Lake! I called their Donor Services Department and convinced one of their representatives to spill the beans.

November 16th evening
Prince Siegfried - Aleksandar Antonijevic
Odette/Odile – Greta Hodgkinson

November 17th, matinée
Prince Siegfried - Patrick Lavoie
Odette/Odile – Jennifer Fournier

November 17th, evening
Prince Siegfried - Guillaume Côté
Odette/Odile – Heather ‘Prima Ballerina Goddess’ Ogden

November 18th, evening
Prince Siegfried - Aleksandar Antonijevic
Odette/Odile – Greta Hodgkinson

November 19th, matinée
Prince Siegfried - Nehemiah Kish

November 19th, evening
Prince Siegfried - Patrick Lavoie
Odette/Odile – Jennifer Fournier

November 20th, matinée
Prince Siegfried - Guillaume Côté

* Sorry, I had to make a correction. Nehemiah Kish will partner Heather Ogden for the November 19th matinée performance. This is kind of unusual as usually you dance with the same partner for all performances. I have to assume the casting which was finally posted on the National’s website is correct.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:47 am 

Interesting changes in the La Sylphide casting - Xio Nan Yu is not dancing at all now and Sonia Rodriguez will do opening night with Antonijevic. I wonder if Yu has been injured?

La Sylphide

James ALEKSANDAR ANTONIJEVIC (Nov. 23 at 7:30 pm/ Nov. 25 at 7:30 pm)
NEHEMIAH KISH (Nov. 24 at 2 pm)
NIKOLAJ Hübbe (Nov. 24 at 7:30 pm)
GUILLAUME CÔTÉ (Nov. 26 at 2 pm/ Nov. 27 at 2 pm)
KEIICHI HIRANO (Nov. 26 at 7:30 pm)

La Sylphide HEATHER OGDEN (Nov. 24 at 2 pm/ Nov. 25 at 7:30 pm)
JENNIFER FOURNIER (Nov. 24 at 7:30 pm/ Nov. 27 at 2 pm)
REBEKAH RIMSAY (Nov. 26 at 2 pm)
SONIA RODRIGUEZ (Nov. 23 at 7:30 pm/ Nov. 26 at 7:30 pm)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:57 pm 

Aleksandar Antonijevic is a dancer of princely virtues!

Quote:
"The last night in Vancouver (where the company performed Swan Lake in September), it felt like Greta, Ryan (Boorne) and I were on a different planet by ourselves," he says. "It felt unbelievable. It's not very often that you can reach that point. You have to train yourself to aim for that, because there's so much that can get in the way."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:49 pm 

Preview articles for NBoC's production of Kudelka's "Swan Lake," November 16-20, 2005 at the Hummingbird Centre in Toronto.

Paula Citron in The Globe and Mail:

Globe and Mail

Michael Crabb in the National Post:

National Post

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:35 am 

Veteran Dance Critic Susan Walker gives Mr. K’s Swan Lake 3 stars.

Quote:
“It’s not really until the corps of perfectly configured swans starts appearing and then the quick-stepping four cygnets do their enchained dance that the audience begins to warm to the dance.”

I whole heartedly agree with the above observation. I shall be attending tonight’s performance and also the Saturday matinée. By strange coincidence Heather Ogden will be performing for both of those dates!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:29 am 

Quote:
“It’s not really until the corps of perfectly configured swans starts appearing and then the quick-stepping four cygnets do their enchained dance that the audience begins to warm to the dance.”

I don't have to wait that long....I enjoy the dance of the Knights (but could do without the violent ending) and love the way Kudelka reworked the Bruhn solo for the Prince at the end of the scene. I remember the premier of Kudelka's Swan Lake and when that music started and the Prince began the first moves of the old, much loved Bruhn choreography I was so happy. There was much in Bruhn's version I didn't care for, but the Act 1 solo, in my opinion anyway, is (was) one of the finest examples of male choreography - it just flows! Now the solo is a duet, a conversation between the Prince and Benno but the “bones” of Bruhn's choreography are still there.

In any case I'll see Kish Saturday afternoon and I'm looking forward to that. He is becoming one of my favourite dancers and I'm enjoying watching his progress.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:58 pm 

Yours truly had one of the best seats in the house: Row B, Seat 54 right behind the AD’s seat. Unbelievably, Karen Kain did not recognize Michael Goldbarth despite being a regular contributor to CriticalDance!? I sat trembling in fear minutes before the puck would drop for Swan Lake pondering the prospect of trying to see the stage should James Kudelka occupy the seat! Fortunately for me and my ballet neighbors, it was Karen Kain and her small bunhead! Mrs. K was quite chic dressed in black as the Black Swan Queen!

I shall post my review when I get a chance to fully formulate my thoughts and see Heather Ogen again tomorrow and perhaps Sunday as well. I admit it; I am a Heather Ogden groupie! She rocks!! Yes, somewhere up in the National Ballet of Heaven an angel has blessed Heather Ogden with talent galore. From what I saw tonight as Odette/Odile she certainly worked her tutu off to make it all come together!! I’m sure Mrs. K liked what she saw based on her hearty applause and whispers of delight to her neighbor! BRAV :D !

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:13 am 

Quote:
Yours truly had one of the best seats in the house: Row B, Seat 54

Is that in the stalls, Michael? If so, give me the first circle (in most theatres) anyday, so you can see the patterns of the choreography, as well as the soloists. Different strokes for different folks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:36 am 

My pick for best seat is KK47 - last row of the front section, dead centre with a gap in front for at least two rows. You look straight down at the conductor with nothing in front of you to block your view. I must get that seat for at least one final performance this year.

Profile E-mail