public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edward Villella
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 7:13 am 

<A HREF="http://www.herald.com:80/content/today/living/docs/011601.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.herald.com:80/content/today/living/docs/011601.htm</A> <P>this is a long article which is almost entirely biographical, rather than about any Miami City Ballet program. it's certainly interesting....<P>sounds like a frightening man to work for, from the evident job insecurity you'd have there... having a single-minded vision and leading people towards it is one thing, but this sounds somewhat less-straightforward than that.... <P>i realise the recent kerfuffles there, with staff, must have been highly complex and probably very personal - perhaps far too problematic to go into on a public discussion board? <P>but i certainly don't understand it....especially the man who worked there alongside villella for 20 years....and why were the married couple no longer wanted as dancers....? it raises more questions than it answers.<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited November 22, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Edward Villella
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 9:10 am 

Grace<P>The link takes you to a story about Nutcracker. I would really like to read this story, so let me know if I can get there a different way.<P>As for your questions, there are no easy answers, but many theories. The issues that are now making it into print really are the latest in a longer saga.<P>I really don't want to repeat third hand stories and the couple in question, Marife Gimenez and her husband, Douglas Gawriljuk currently dance with Maximum Dance, so I might be a tad biased about their particular situation.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Edward Villella
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 8:58 am 

<B>Coming of Age - Edward Villella explores different eras in ballet style</B> <P>By Susan Reiter for Newsday<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>HIS DAYS OF dancing onstage as New York City Ballet's thrilling, charismatic star are now more than two decades in the past, but Edward Villella can still be found in the ballet studio on a daily basis. As artistic director of the acclaimed Miami City Ballet, which performs this evening at Tilles Center, he teaches company class and spends up to three hours coaching rehearsals. <P>During a recent phone interview, when he discussed working with his troupe's 45 dancers, or explained the ideas behind the way he has shaped its repertory, Villella's enthusiasm for the art form that first hooked him as a Bayside kid shined through.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://www.newsday.com/coverage/current/fanfare/friday/nd5109.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

Profile E-mail