public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:23 pm 

He had surgery on both knees last spring/summer - I think it was torn ACLs, but I'm not sure.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:49 pm 

The first NYC reviews are in:

Quote:
Squeezing 4 Monarchs Into One Big Royal Court
John Rockwell, NY Times

"Kings of the Dance," the all-star display of male ballet dancing with Angel Corella and Ethan Stiefel of American Ballet Theater, Johan Kobborg of the Royal Ballet and Nikolay Tsiskaridze of the Bolshoi Ballet, is an intermittently engaging blockbuster with a divided soul. It opened a four-performance run Thursday at City Center.
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:52 pm 

Quote:
'Kings of Dance' make their way to N.Y.
Claudia La Rocco, AP

Still, there were few opportunities for the audience to cheer; people don't generally go to galas for character studies. As one subdued gentleman said to his date, "Well, that was ... strange, wasn't it?" Corella drew more enthusiasm in Welch's "We Got It Good," a bright, empty bit of gamboling set to music by Billy Strayhorn and Duke Ellington. Finally, those fabulous trademark turns, that flashy grin!

So yes, by all means, bring ballet to the people. Just make sure you give them what they think they really want. Or create choreography that counts, and show them what they're missing.
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:58 am 

Quote:
Kings of the Dance, City Center, New York
by HILARY OSTLERE for the Financial Times

Wheeldon's new For 4 to the second movement of Schubert's Death and The Maiden skilfully interwove their dance strengths, blending virtuoso steps with a more modern vocabulary. Each dancer had his moment, one particularly interesting being a solemn adagio for Tsiskaridze, who is tall, romantic in gesture yet precise.

published: February 27, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:06 am 

Quote:
Crowned Jewels
Four stellar male dancers go adventuring
by DEBORAH JOWITT

Ironically, The Lesson really is about death and a maiden (Flindt's first ballet, staged for television when the choreographer was only 27, replaced Roland Petit's 1946 Le Jeune Homme et la Mort on the "Kings" program because of problems with the latter's set).

I saw Kobborg, who recently performed the work for Britain's Royal Ballet, in the lead; he is brilliant at delineating physical distortions, alarming tics, and rapid but subtle changes of mood. The Royal Danish Ballet's lovely Gudrun Bojesen plays the spunky but oddly helpless student with skill, and Deirdre Chapman is a horrid marvel as the accompanist.

published: March 3, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:37 pm 

Blame the delay of this post on my delayed flight from JFK back to SFO. No, the bad weather wasn't in NY. It was in California...

I enjoyed this program more than I thought I would precisely for the same reasons that so many people didn't in NYC. Yes, the shows were practically sold out at City Center even at exorbitant prices but because people were lured in by the advertising -- the "Kings of Dance" were expected to strut their stuff! But strut, they didn't. Instead, it was a thoughtful, provocative and at times maybe even controversial program. I was fearing too much glitz and was glad to see no more than a handful of it.

Interestingly, the performance I enjoyed the most was Deidre Chapman's as the pianist in "The Lesson," probably the only ballet of Fleming Flindt's I've seen and liked. Hers was a lesson in controlled repression!

Lil Tutu I think enjoyed the men much more than I did...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:17 pm 

Yes, she did!
I was thrilled and happily surprised that the performance did not deliver the typical spectacle you'd expect from these amazing dancers. I mean, they can't hide the fact that they are superior technicians- they can do tricks as easily as they blink their eyes. But this show focused on all the other things they can do-more on their artistry and their individuality as artists. It showed us just how powerfully in control they are of their bodies and how many tools they have to make them speak.I felt like you got to really see them, especially in the solos they chose. It was very interesting and extremely pleasing to watch. I loved it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:18 pm 

However, the one comment I have is that the billing of the program and the ticket prices in NYC may have misled some people. After all, they were there to see the "kings of dance" -- it's a term that has "spectacle" all over it. Maybe "Stiefel, Corella, Kobborg, Tsiskaridze and Friends" might have been a better title?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:48 am 

As an interesting postscript, the Royal Danish Ballet just announced theoir 2006-07 season and it will include 'The Lesson'.

There's no indication that new sets are being built (and it's being performed in the Royal Theatre), so I wonder if the sets were in fact just on loan to SJSV Ballet.

Kate