public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Farrell stages Balanchine's Don Quixote at NBofC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:56 am 

A media release this morning from the NBofC announces that Suzanne Farrell will stage Balanchine’s Don Quixote as a co-production between the National Ballet and Farrell’s company with the premiere at the Kennedy Ctr. June 22-26/05. It will be staged in Toronto with costumes and sets constructed by the National’s production dept. Farrell has invited 18 NBofC dancers to perform as guest artists at the premiere and it will be shown in Toronto at a later date.

Did anyone see the original production back in the late 60's with Farrell as Dulcinea? I don’t think anyone else ever danced the role and, from what I've read, the production was not all that successful. I'm curious about what those who actually saw it back then thought of it. It will be interesting to see what dancer Farrell chooses to re-create Balanchine’s role as the Don - the NBoC has a wealth of male character dancer/actors. Personally I’d like to Tomas Schramek get the nod. Wait and see I guess.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Farrell stages Balanchine's Don Quixote at NBofC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:37 am 

Like most, I have only seen snippets of Mr. B’s Don Quixote from ‘The Elusive Muse’ and a PBS special on Balanchine. He should have left the relationship on stage. I am looking forward to seeing the revival.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:23 pm 

Quote:
He should have left the relationship on stage.
That's funny! How do you come up with this stuff? :confused:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:08 pm 

In interviews, Farrell has often stated that Balanchine felt that he was not completely happy with Don Q, and felt it "wasn't complete". It will be interesting to see what it looks like to the current generation of fans and dancers. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:57 am 

She would, however, be Dulcinea, not Kitri, since Balanchine's ballet is very different than Petipa's.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:43 am 

You are correct. I consulted my copy of Balanchine’s Complete Stories of the Great Ballets and in his version of Don Quixote Dulcinea appears as the Magdalen, the Virgin Mary, the Shepherdess Marcela, and the Lady of the Silver Moon. Since I have never seen the performance, I think it only fair CriticalDance comp me! Of course, I will have to view all 7 performances in the orchestra and box tier, stay in the Presidential Suite at the Four Seasons, and fly 1st class with all meals included! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:07 am 

Suzanne Farrell talks about dusting off a classic:

Quote:
In the third act, Farrell realized that the arm movements in one sequence resembled the movements of windmills, with the arms crisscrossing in patterns. "Nothing Mr. B did was by accident," she explains. "It illustrates how he got ideas across without being literal or using old-fashioned mime. It's also a very musical way to understand the Don's confusion. When the dancers saw what these movements looked like, they could understand how they underlined and intensified the meaning of the scene."

http://www.playbillarts.com/features/article/1882.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:04 am 

Noreen Arnold posted:

Does anyone know which National Ballet of Canada dancers will be cast in Farrell's production? I'm assuming that Chan Hon Goh and Jennifer Fournier will be back but there are supposed to be 18 National Ballet members involved and I'm curious who they are. Interestinly enough I've heard that Sonia Rodriguez and Anton Antonijevic will be performing the Don Q. ppd next week at a Skate Canada Gala in Winnipeg - could they have been working on it with Farrell? Any updates would be appreciated - and if anyone sees one of the shows later in June I'd like to hear your opinions.

Nikiya's response:

Chan Hon Goh's website says that she will be dancing in Farrell's Don Q. That's the only one I know for sure.
Are you sure that Sonia and Aleks are doing the Balanchine Don Q for Skate Canada and not the better-known Petipa version? They couple is also performing in a Ballet Gala in the US (forget where) in the next month. I hope this means that Antonijevic's injury has healed?
I won't be able to make it down to Washington for the performances, so I am waiting to hear of when they will perform it in Canada. A press release said that it will come to Canada "in the future"- leaving things very vague.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:40 am 

Nikiya's response:

Are you sure that Sonia and Aleks are doing the Balanchine Don Q for Skate Canada and not the better-known Petipa version? They couple is also performing in a Ballet Gala in the US (forget where) in the next month. [/quote]

I don't know what version they are doing - I only wondered why they would have worked on any particular version at this point as Don Q. has not been scheduled in the past few years. It would be nice if Antonijevic and also Cote have the chance to dance in Farrell's production - it would be a great opportunity for them. I also hope that Aleks injury has mended well - I missed him the last part of the season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:54 am 

The skaters you mention are probably using the Minkus music; Balanchine's version doesn't use it and is very different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:34 am 

Sonia Rodriguez has been cast in the role of Dulcinea for the opening of Mr. B’s Don Quixote.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:56 pm 

Toronto, Ontario…June 7, 2005…SUZANNE FARRELL, Artistic Director of The Suzanne Farrell Ballet, today announced that National Ballet of Canada Principal Dancer SONIA RODRIGUEZ will dance the lead role of Dulcinea in the world premiere of her new staging of Balanchine’s Don Quixote in the Kennedy Center Opera House, June 22 - 26, 2005. This role was first and last performed by the legendary Suzanne Farrell and has not been performed in more than 25 years. Mr. Balanchine bequeathed the ballet to Ms. Farrell, and now Ms. Farrell is “thrilled and delighted” to pass on the legacy of the role to Ms. Rodriguez. Additional casting will be announced at a later date.

I'm very pleased for Sonia! Now who has been cast in Balanchine's "Don Q" role is the next question. I know this ballet didn't get great reviews when first produced but I'd still love to be in Washington for the the opening show. Unfortunately I just can't make the dates work for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:58 am 

The Elusive Muse is in Toronto training dancers for the revival of Mr. B’s Don Quixote. She talks with long time friend and author, Toni Bentley, about the revival and basically admits they are cramming the last night before a big exam! It will make its debut at the new Four Seasons in November of 2006.

Quote:
Sonia Rodriguez, a leading dancer with the Canadian company. She will dance the role on opening night in Washington. Less than a week of rehearsals, and she has learned virtually all three acts.

“This is very different from our usual way of working,” she says in charmingly accented English, “where we are taught little section by little section at a time and then slowly put it together. Suzanne gives you everything, and by just doing it, you find your own way, you create the role. It’s a little shocking at first, but it brings in more possibilities because you don't have someone picking at you so much. The experience becomes bigger and freer. You take more risks. She is wonderful at giving you ideas, but then letting you find your own way. She doesn't hold anything back.”

She climbs, inexorably beckoned by a halo of warm, bright, soft light, the kind that emanates from a Tiepolo ceiling fresco when the heavens have cracked open. Balanchine called this “Dulcinea’s light,” and when Ms. Farrell was 19, it showed her where to go. Watching Ms. Farrell, who will turn 60 in August, passing on this piece of her own life, one still sees Dulcinea’s light shining brightly into the future of the fragile art form to which she has dedicated her life. And on June 22, in the nation's capital, like a torch being passed, it will guide a new Dulcinea.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:00 am 

:( It’s kind of sad I had to pull the above story from the New York Times and not the Globe & Mail, Toronto Star, Sun, or National Post. Think for a moment, Suzanne Farrell, one of the biggest historical stars of ballet is in town and not one word has been printed (to my knowledge) in a Canadian newspaper! Not a word. I’ve written this before and I will write it again, ballet coverage in Canada is a joke! There is no excuse. Instead, we are subject to endless blathering about the impending end to the NHL strike! I can only read so much about overpaid owners and players arguing over how to split up a multi-billion $ pie! Enough already!!

Would some overpaid fat cat editor on one of the above newspapers please get off his/her flabby butt and send a reporter down to the Walter Carsen Centre to procure a few words from a ballerina legend! ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Even the CBC is fast asleep! Click here to read all about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s latest popcorn flick! For crips sakes they’re nothing more than a pale imitation of Faye Dunaway and Steve McQueen! Are they Canadian? NO! Are they in a good movie? NO!! Do I give a hoot? NO!!! The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation should rename themselves the American Broadcasting Corpse! :wink:

On a more positive note, reviving Don Quixote should bring in the fans for the 2006 season. I do hope it will prove more entertaining than the original, which received mixed reviews. I hope Miss Farrell kept the good and tossed out the bad. Her influence on the dancers will no doubt be an enriching experience which will benefit their careers. You can’t put a price on her coaching.

I guess it is true that Suzanne Farrell truly is ‘the Elusive Muse.’ She certainly eluded the Toronto media! LMAO!! :lol: I know, I know, I really should stop being so darn subtle and let the readers of CD know how I really feel! :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:51 pm 

Looking into my crystal ball I see the CBC, Arts Journal, the NBoC, along with the Toronto Star picking up the Times story. :wink: Why send a reporter when you can copy the New York Times? If I was an entertainment editor in TO, I would be embarrassed. I just don’t get it but I don’t get a lot of things on this planet we call earth. Could it be that ‘the Elusive Muse’ only gives interviews to Toni Bentley? Spill! :!:

Profile E-mail