public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Turmoil in Miami
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 8:51 am 

It is amazing dance in the US requires so much fund-raising. From what I understand, this isn't that much of a problem in Europe, due to the heavy taxation I suppose.<P>In reading Villella's biography, it seems he was a little bitter at not being picked by Balanchine to succeed at NYCB. I wonder if that has something to do with his "recklessness" at MCB. It is amazing that this relatively young company has come so far -- there is no doubt that they were impressive in Jewels this year -- but maybe there are some pitfalls at moving so fast.<P>I do sincerely hope however that Villella and MCB succeed in coming through this. Villella has created a wonderful company in Miami which is a welcome addition to the ballet scene in the US.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 5:58 pm 

From what I remember, SFB school had been saving money for 25 years to build their new facility..had nothing to do with the company.<BR>SAB and Juillard got their new place because they sold the air above the NY City Center.<BR>The building had nothing above it and air prices to build up in the city is very premium. So, that is how they raised the $ to build their new studios residences etc.<BR>Again, had nothing to do with company.<BR>I guess the MCB facility is tied closely to the company.<BR>That would be normal for a small up and coming company... They are lucky that so many people were willing to donate that money to help build it in the first place.<BR>But the financial advisor didn't do a good job, if they were relying on the same kind of money input once they had raised so much to begin with.<BR>People have only pockets that are so deep.<BR>I hope it all works out for them.<BR>MCB is doing really well, and the company has taken off really well.<BR>But Vill. track record in Companies has not been great.<BR>He had been with Eglevsky, then in NJ, before starting his own group.<BR>I would think he will do just about anything to keep his "baby" alive.<BR>Hope it works.<BR>The reputation is that his company is more Balanchine looking than NYCB now.<BR>I can't say from personal experience.<BR>I have not seen them dance.<BR><P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 8:05 pm 

Their reputation about the balanchine is correct! The problem is that they do nothing else and here in Miami they do the same programs over and over. They are a conservatorship, not a company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 11:45 pm 

i don't know about the fundraising for the new sfb facility in 1980s. it is possible that they had been raising money for a while. i just remember being told in about 1985 that the facility was paid for. however the company has all its offices and studios there and it is directly across the street from the opera house so it is a company facility too...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 1999 3:44 pm 

shag:<BR>MCB does do the resident choreographer's work too. They certainly are are conserving the Balanchine rep. but they do other works as well. But mainly, only "what's his face's" stuff...I am so bad...sorry...I can never remember names....UGH><P>SFB: they did have the money stashed away for the new building. It took them 25 years to save for it. Under the Christensen's they started some sort of endownment, or whatever, for down the road. Eventually, got enough to build the facility.<BR>I am quite sure the asking for money for the company did not have to do with the school.<BR>Even though, you are correct, the company uses the school for all their offices, rehearsals etc. Which would make sense..<BR>As for MCB, they raised the money from donations with in a short period of time.<BR>And it was for both.<BR>I guess that is why they are in trouble and the company is involved in the fund raising.<BR>The school is healthy, and large.<BR>They needed more room.<BR>They were lucky to get what they did get.<BR>Unreal, actually. Vill. must be quite a sales person. I would bet he gets exactly what he wants in the next 6 mons. He is so well liked by the community.<BR>The resident choreographer is Hispanic, I think, don't quote me, is Cuban.<BR>So, it makes for excellent community ties.<BR>The man is smart, and makes mistakes too.<BR>Human, as my former student said.<BR><P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 2:48 am 

bek, adding to Villella smartness is his charm and name recognition.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 9:55 pm 

Does anyone know what the situation is like in Miami now?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2000 7:57 am 

They seem to be dancing as well as ever (however here in Miami we've seen everything ten times) and there're new facility is open and fantastic. I think the rough stuff is behind them, however they didn't come through unscathed in the front office. I think the true test will be how many dancers depart at the end of the season.<P>The reality is that if you're not a donor, they are an amazing company, particularly if you love Mr. B. We are really lucky to have them in Miami.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2000 3:55 pm 

From reading all these postings, it sounds to me like MCB has tried to expand too fast. As with any other business (at the level that they're at, it is a business, and an art, of course), this can be a big problem. Yes, we'd all love to have gorgeous new theatre, but not if it means not being able to pay salaries, and go begging with buckets into the audience. Gaaaad!! A little dignity can go a long way. I too am a Villella fan--saw him perform when I was a little kid at some dinky college auditorium in NJ--it was awe-inspiring-something which made an inedible impression to this day....hope they can "get their act together!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2000 11:01 pm 

Shag, thanks for the update. I wish I could see more of them. Perhaps I'll be out sometime to catch both MCB and Maximum Dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 2:25 pm 

Bek, Jimmy Gamonet de los Heros is from Peru