public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turmoil in Miami
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 11:43 am 

Has anyone read about the recent problems with Miami City Ballet? A news report said the Executive Director was fired and Eddie Villella (art director) was pleading for money from the stage due to costs related to moving into its new building. Is it as bad the news made it out?

Post subject: Re: Turmoil in Miami
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 1:16 pm 

I heard it was pretty bad last week as Villella made two stage speeches and sent a dancer out to make a third speech in each show. After the show, the audience was met by dancers in sweats with buckets. I'm not making this up.<P>The dancers have also been asked to donate a portion of their paycheques back to the company if they want their name on the building as founding dancers. Let me think, my artistic director asks me for money to "help out" during a financial crunch which is manufactured by the artistic director's need to have a 12 million dollar facility in Miami, a $300,000 facility in Broward while the Art's Council is also raising a/t 20 million for a Centre for the Arts all the while earning a 500-600 salary, ... but he chooses what I dance. Really ticks me off these dancers are put in this situation.<P>MCB's ED is a great lady who has done a ton for the company for over 10 years. Tells you something when she leaves. But, Villella seems to always rise again, just as what happened with Elyse Bourne when she left. Big deal that was quickly forgotten.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 3:02 pm 

I have a former student who is a member of MCB. I am going to email her and try to get a feel for what is going on.<BR>She was already displeased by goings on at MCB this year. I was getting the feeling V. was pretty distracted by the new facility.<BR>He started playing head games etc. What a shame. It seems that if you don't have the money, you shouldn't do the deed. I thought they had the money for this new building.<BR>It is horrid that a professional director needs to plead with the audience in this manner. It is also,IMHO, unprofessional.<P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 4:32 pm 

bek<P>I just checked out your web site and was quite impressed.<P>MCB is so frustrating b/c despite great dancers who are generally great people who are with a young company, MCB has made astronomical progress in a short time. People seem to forget that it did not exist until 1986. The politics are really incredible. We have a lot of friends who dance with MCB and frankly a lot of our dancers (Maximum Dance) have a MCB history. They are willing to dance for less with us not b/c they can't dance for Edward, but rather won't, but love Miami.<P>We are still looking for a boy, do you know any?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 8:03 pm 

shag, omigosh, I read the article on the situation with MCB but I didn't know it was that bad. I have seen companies ask for donations but usually they have these cute young student dancers walking the aisles with baskets. But for a professional company to have professional dancers asking for money (in sweats with buckets in hand) is mind-boggling. I really do hope they survive this though. MCB seems like such a high-level company; it would be a tragedy if it didn't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 8:08 pm 

bek, welcome!<P>BTW, here's the link to the Miami Herald article:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.herald.com/herald/content/docs/living/056563.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.herald.com/herald/content/docs/living/056563.htm</A> <P>...Azlan<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 11-15-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 8:34 am 

I think that SF Ballet sold apples in Union Square ala the depression during some hard times in the late 70's. They were also maniquins in the store windows if I remember correctly. It is amazing what you will do to be able to dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 11:08 am 

Thanks for the nice feedback on my webpage.<BR>I had to give up my school last april.<BR>Health problems. The site was done a year before I gave up the school. It contains only students who were with me, and the costumes are my design and mostly made by me.<P>I am sorry, I don't know any boys..<BR>But, tell me more about the company you have.<BR>I know the girl who is in MCB is not happy right now. <BR>I have written to her about this money thing,I will let you know more about it when I get a post back from her.<P>I have to find out about another former student who is now in SFB.<BR>She had been in Ballet West out here.<BR>Talk about politics...UGH>>>><BR>SLC, was not a bad place to be in Ballet.<BR>Until the new director came here.<BR>What a mess now.<BR>The company is basically totally new.<BR>With kids who have never danced professionally before, because there was a huge exodus last June, due to the dancers being totally unhappy with direction.<BR>I am glad not to be teaching at this time in SLC. It is too nasty a situation in our town.<BR>It used to be quite a nice place, and had very fine training for a small city.<P><P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 6:14 pm 

Lucy,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>SF Ballet sold apples in Union Square... They were also maniquins in the store windows<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You're kidding me! Well, maybe this MCB thing isn't that bad afterall. Boy, we can start a whole new thread here: What will you do to be able to dance?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 6:21 pm 

bek, I'm sorry you had to give up the school. I too checked out your website and liked it.<P>...Azlan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 1999 12:55 pm 

Thanks..<BR>I got an email from Miriam, the MCB member.<BR>She said, the donors were all pockets open to build the building, and do all that. But after, they figured it was a done deal, and the money stopped flowing. No money for payroll and admins. costs for the new building. Seems like they (donors) got all hot about giving money to the ballet, then they discovered there were other causes to give to also. So, end of the free load ride.<BR>Now, it is up to the company and Vill. to get money to continue to be able to run this new facility.<BR>She didn't say anything about the removal of the adm. But did say Vill. has made some serious mistakes this past year. And the company is reaping the Non-benefits of these mistakes. But in her words: "he is human...<BR>It is humilating, but that is part of the job." So, I guess he has done a good job of snowing everyone about this. Or he was promised a pot at the end of the rainbow, and the rainbow went away, without the pot of gold at the end. ???<BR><P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 4:28 am 

keep in mind however that from what i understand the san francisco ballet had dancers in tutus in the streets begging for donations to "save our ballet" because the company was threatened with closure, not to pay a new facility. i don't know any details. and-this was over 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 7:43 am 

While I think pmeja makes a great point, I think it's important not to overstate the situation. MCB is going to have some bumps during its growth. The company has moved in an unprecedented fashion over the past 13 years and they are going to make mistakes. <P>I think that the problem is that people give less leeway to Villella b/c of his ego. They went from raising 10 million for operation to raising 12.5 million for operations and 10 million for a new buliding (the numbers may be off, but the concepts are the same). Bad move - probably, fatal- no way!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 9:21 am 

I had no idea MCB was going through this. Where have I been?<BR>Ballet companies will do anything to survive and I hope they get through this. I really feel sorry for the dancers though. It's sad to go through that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 5:43 am 

important also shag to note that in making that distinction i was not by any means trying to criticize mcb but rather to point out differences in the circumstances and the era involved between the situation they find themselves in and that of the san francisco ballet in about 1979. the san francisco ballet, only a few years later, was able to build their beautiful new facility and although again i have no specific facts to point to i was always under the impression that it had been done with little or no financial risk to the company's existence. so they had their hills and valleys like anyone else and like it seems that mcb is having now! :-)<BR>