public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Nutcracker Lite" vs the Original?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 6:25 am 

The Nutcracker ballet actually diverts from the original story.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.adn.com/weekend/story/0,2645,219739,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.adn.com/weekend/story/0,2645,219739,00.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "Nutcracker Lite" vs the Original?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 7:05 am 

The Nutcracker that I MOST enjoyed was a version that was presented as a "children only" production.<P>"2nd Dream" EXPLAINED the story of the Nutcracker, without narration.<P>(The music was from Queen of Hearts as I remember.)<P>You had the battle between the Queen and Mouserinks. Baby Pirlipat "disfigured" and veiled. The "breaking of the spell" with the "seven steps backward", etc. The slaying of the Mouse Prince.<P>Made for a longer evening, but it was worth it. Plus it accomodated many girls worthy of solo and cameo parts in a production that otherwise limited them.

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 7:07 am 

This is described in the article as a "coming of age" story. Do you think, then, that the Kirkland/Baryshnikov version is closer to the truth of the original story?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2000 9:42 am 

The PNB version is probably the closest. <P>However, I have read the Nutcracker story by Hoffman, and it doesn't seem all that grim to me. It actually ends very happily, with Marie and her Nutcracker~Prince reigning over Confiturembourg forever. <P>It certainly doesn't seem to be a buildungsroman (I know I spelled that incorrectly). <P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~<BR><A HREF="http://www.freetown.com/Uptown/HaightAshbury/1055/ballet.html" TARGET=_blank>Balletica</A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 7:59 am 

Read in the Washington Post yesterday how Kevin McKenzie is being faulted for inserting second dream into ABT's nut Image<P>Last time I saw a version done that way was 10 years ago in a school's production.<P>However, he substituted 2nd dream for the "dolls". The production I saw ADDED it. Didn't delete anything for it.

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 4:57 pm 

I have to say that my favorite version remains the Baryshnikov/Kirkland ABT version. I loved the pas de trois at the end. And of course, in my opinion, Kirkland was sublime.

Profile E-mail