public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: de Saa/White/Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 12:01 pm 

Image <BR>Margarita de Saa<P><BR>Here is a story about Margarita de Saa and her husband John White who founded the Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet Society to "help dancers achieve their dreams." Kate Herman's article begins, "At 11 years old, Margarita de Saa was already dancing with the National Ballet of Cuba, a bright young talent soon to become a principal dancer. But several years later, in 1964, she made the difficult decision to leave her family behind - including her twin sister, who now directs the National Ballet of Cuba. She moved to Philadelphia with husband and fellow dancer John White, an American. Both were committed to helping aspiring young dancers get on their feet."<P> <A HREF="http://www.phillynews.com/content/inquirer/2000/06/15/pa_west/edance15.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.phillynews.com/content/inquirer/2000/06/15/pa_west/edance15.htm</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: de Saa/White/Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:53 pm 

I am currently one of the dancers in the Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet Society. Margarita de Saa and John White have been my teachers for the past three years and have been helping me find employment. They are two very special people and it really tickles me to see them recieve recognition. If it were not for them I would not be dancing. Not only have they given me a solid technique to fall back on, but they have also succeeded in reminding me how much I love to dance. I'll never be able to thank them enough, or give them even half of what they have given me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:46 pm 

Welcome JLHayes. That's a very nice sentiment to share with us. Perhaps you would like to tell us more about the academy. I am interested to know who else is on the staff and how many showcases it puts on.<P>Nice personal website, btw.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2000 9:21 am 

I am also a dancer in the pennsylvania academy of ballet society. It is a wonderful place to train... the whites have much knowledge and have given me an incredibly secure foundation in classical technique, one that will continue to grow even after I leave them. Not only do they succeed in training us as classical dancers, they also take a personal interest in us and approach us as people, not just as dancing machines. John and Margarita are our principle teachers, and spend several hours a day with us... they understand each of us and our own needs and treat us individually. They embrace the art form for its beauty and sacredness and allow us to pursue whatever avenue of dance we wish, always with their support. They give and give and give to us, and in turn we give back to them.. the environment is one of constant growth. It is a truely unique and special place to train.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2000 10:29 am 

Lasbury, welcome. Thank you for another heart-warming testimonial to the generosity of the Whites. Perhaps you can tell us a bit about some of the roles you've performed in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 3:10 am 

did margarita de saa and john white have a daughter that dances or that danced? i seem to remember her at the competition in jackson some years ago...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 4:15 am 

Yes, their daughter Melinda. She's married now, and has two kids. She's teaching at the school now and has recently been taking over some of the rehearsing.<BR>And yes, it is the same John White. When I'm away and missing Philadelphia, it's nice to go to Barnes and Nobles and pick it up.<BR>As far as performing, we tend to not do alot because they concentrate more on developing technique, so that when you are ready to go on stage it will be more appropriate and pleasing to watch.Your technique can free you to the moment, you won't have to fear an incredible turn sequence 3 measures before your even doing the preporation. You can just do it.<BR>But we do perform twice a year. The obvious Nutcracker, and in the spring we have a tea. Which is a performance followed by a little receptition. This is to help raise money for the society. Here I'd like to point out that all of the society money goes right back into helping the dancers during their training and to aid them in finding jobs.<BR>The teas are a good experience because we almost always do a classical piece, a contemporary piece, and something choreographed on us. This helps us be well rounded and easier to use when we are in a company.We also all make an effort to watch performances of various companies that come through. The society sometimes is able to make performances more readily available to us.<BR>It's a very pure school. <BR>they try to keep our dancing clean, without any affectations. And they don't concentrate on performance alot because they concentrate on getting us into a company rather than being a company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 5:52 am 

sounds great to me, JL...<P>and i've never understood this phrase (which you used) before: "Your technique can free you to the moment" - NOW i get it! Image<P>thanks!