public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diablo Ballet at Escondido, February 16, 2001
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 5:17 pm 

Diablo Ballet – Review, February 16, 2001, performance.<BR>California Center for the Arts, Escondido California<BR>Artistic Director: Lauren Jonas<P>There is no mistaking the strength and cohesiveness of this exciting chamber ballet company composed of six men and 5 women. They bring together a diversity of training, style, culture and experience. And, it is this very diversity which lends interest and drama to their dancing. Each dancer seems to be entirely aware of his and her individual place and this knowledge fuses them into a whole. There are no weak links in Diablo Ballet.<P>“No Title”<BR>Choreography and Music: Nikolai Kabaniaev<BR>Costume Design: Cheryl Koehler<BR>Lighting Design: Jack Carpenter<P>Dancers: Lauren Jonas, Erika Johnson, Kelly Teo, Christopher Young, Victor Kabaniaev.<P>It is unusual for the composer to also be the choreographer. Thus “No Title” is an entire view into the dreamscape of another human being’s psyche. At times the dream speeds up in a faster than life parody of movement, the dreamer’s sense of humor. At other times its slow motion action is mesmerizing, reminding the viewer of her own dreams. It stretched, it spun, it illuminated the music and eliminated the unimportant. Costuming and stage were spare, which centered the attention on what was necessary – the music and the dance. And, integral to the dream, is how it was well and thoughtfully lit.<P>“Apollo”<BR>Choreography: George Balanchine<BR>Music: Igor Stravinsky<BR>Costume design: Paula Vidulich<BR>Lighting Design: Jack Carpenter<P>Dancers: Nikolai Kabaniaev, Karyn Lee Connell, Corinne Jonas, Tina Kay Bohnstedt<P>There is nothing more to say that hasn’t already been said about the choreography of this ballet. But it still has to be brought to life anew each time by the dancers – and so it was. Secure technique and sureness of purpose left the dancers free to love and explore this time honored piece. There were no breaks, no hesitancy in Apollo’s love affair with Terpsichore – we are totally convinced. Actually all the muses were worthy of his attentions. The final geometric symmetry of the arabesques of the three muses, brought gasps of delight from the audience. It was perfectly done.<P>“It’s Not What You Think”<BR>Choreography: KT Nelson<BR>Music: Bjork<BR>Costume design: Amanda Williams<BR>Lighting Design: Jack Carpenter<P>Dancers: Tina Kay Bohnstedt, Karyn Lee Connell, Erika Johnson, Corinne Jonas, Lauren Jonas, Victor Kabaniaev, Kyongho Kim, Richard Marsden, Kelly Teo, Christopher Young.<P>This off beat, loosely drawn, free moving post modern ballet was a good choice with which to close the evening. Letting go of formal form – no pointe shoes, no “standards” – just dance around to the music. The women were clad in simple one piece mini-skirts with socks. Though the men were in black pants it was lit well enough so they didn’t disappear; a bane of this viewer. <BR>Though I did enjoy this piece, it was not my favorite. At first I did like the music, now soft, now loud. But then it stayed loud – much too loud for comfort. No fault of the dancers – they danced up a storm. <P>Altogether Diablo Ballet is an exciting company of experienced, dedicated artists who very obviously enjoy what they are doing. Because of the size of the company every member is important and knows it and dances with that knowledge. And, I would go again to see them in a heartbeat.<P>A word about the theater. This is a relatively new (1994) theater arts complex. A really beautiful, warm house. The dancers had no complaint and neither did I, until the curtain opened and I quickly realized the seats were at too low an angle from the stage to adequately see the feet of the dancers. After all these centuries, one can’t help wondering when are we going to learn how to build a theater for dance? <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Diablo Ballet at Escondido, February 16, 2001
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 8:49 pm 

So happy that you liked this company. I agree with you totaly. They make the best use of each dancer. This is the type of company that I would have loved to dance with. We are so lucky to have them in the Bay Area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2001 8:07 am 

Lucy - hang on tight to them - I wish San Diego could steal them........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2001 8:14 am 

I also want to add that the feeling of cohesiveness is a direct result of sensitive artistic direction. No matter how talented the dancers - and well meaning the group - insensitve artistic direction can ruin it as we all know. It takes a lot more than just talent and purpose, it takes a knowledge of people and relationships to make and preserve a healthy group entity, which this group is most fortunate to have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2001 7:41 pm 

Azlan--or whoever can answer this. How does one get the rights to do Balanchine works?....I noticed that Diablo did "Apollo". I imagine you have to approach the Balanchine trust. Do you have to audition for them? Do they charge large fees? I've noticed that various Balanchine ballerinas were given rights to re-stage the various works. Balanchine seemed like he planned really well as far as his legacy went. He didnt'all the power with one person. So smart!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2001 10:43 pm 

Trina, the Villanova Sports & Entertainment Law Journal provides the following:<P><A HREF="http://vls.law.vill.edu/students/orgs/sports/back_issues/volume6/issue2/balanchine.html" TARGET=_blank>Article *265 THE BALANCHINE TRUST: DANCING THROUGH THE STEPS OF TWO-PART LICENSING</A><BR>Cheryl Swack<P><BR>It is an interesting read especially in regards to the intent of the trust.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2001 10:45 pm 

And, oh, yes, there is also this easier to read article by Cheryl Cowan:<P><A HREF="http://balletdance.about.com/musicperform/balletdance/library/weekly/aa042798.htm" TARGET=_blank>The Balanchine Trust</A><BR>Cheryl Cowan, About.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 7:56 am 

Thank you, Azlan. $10,000 is a lot of money for a dance work , but then again not really!If you bought a masterpiece of a painting, of course it would be a lot more; probably. THANKS!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 11:11 am 

The article summarizes the process quite well.<P>In Diablo Ballet’s case we are fortunate to have Marina Eglevsky on our staff. She is one of a few who are allowed to stage certain Balanchine works. She has staged 10 Balanchine ballets for us and is in the process of staging an 11th (The concert version of “Who Cares?”) In 1998, I asked Marina to inquire about the possibility of acquiring “Apollo” in to our repertoire. We then went to the Trust for permission.<P>I would like to add that the Trust has been incredible to us and I am extremely appreciative for their generosity and guidance.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 11:29 am 

An older photo:<P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:28 pm 

Don't forget Diablo Ballet's upcoming program:<P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum13/HTML/000110.html target=_blank>Diablo Ballet 7th Anniversary Show Announced<BR>March 16 and 17, 2001 at the Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek</a><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited February 27, 2001).]

Profile E-mail