It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Melissa Hayden Dies at 83
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:37 pm 

From the NY Times:

Quote:
Melissa Hayden, a Vibrant Star of New York City Ballet, Dies at 83

By ANNA KISSELGOFF

Melissa Hayden performing in “Firebird,” about 1967.
Melissa Hayden, one of American ballet’s greatest ballerinas, whose exultant, dramatic style defied the supposed impersonal mold of the “Balanchine dancer,” making her one of New York City Ballet’s first international stars, died yesterday at her home in Winston-Salem, N.C. She was 83. more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:56 am 

Melissa Hayden and Jacques d'Amboise were the opening night guest artists (Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier) for Lew Christensen's 1967 premiere of his new "Nutcracker" with sets and costumes by Robert O'Hearn. I was a 16-year-old advanced Ford Foundation Scholarship student with San Francisco Ballet at the time and danced in the premiere as a "big" Snowflake and "Salmon" colored flower. These roles were a bit more coveted as there was more advanced work and more time on stage! It was an exciting time to be around Lew and SFB. It was a big deal that Ms. Hayden and Mr. d'Amboise were the guest artists. I remember her dancing as very strong and very bright... like a polished, faceted diamond. It's the only time I ever saw her dance in person.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:59 am 

Gina Ness wrote:
Melissa Hayden and Jacques d'Amboise were the opening night guest artists (Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier) for Lew Christensen's 1967 premiere of his new "Nutcracker" with sets and costumes by Robert O'Hearn. . . .

Gina, Thank you for this wonderful information. I had no idea Melissa Hayden and Jacques d'Ambroise were guest artists at SFB. It must have been an exciting night. (It's great to hear from an SFB principal dancer from the pre-Helgi years. I wish I knew more about those years. Thank you for posting).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:47 am 

I am so sorry to read of her passing. I had the great honor to be coached by her in Pas de Dix and Don Q pas . She was a ball of energy. She gave you the feeling that anything was possible. After a rehearsal with her you were worn out to the bone but could not wait to get back into her studio the next day. Not only a great dancer and teacher but also a lovely person.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:22 am 

Click here for an interesting article about Melissa Hayden from Susan Walker of the Toronto Star.

Quote:
"She was an extraordinary artist, with astonishing range. She could dance a powerhouse role and then be a piece of feather," says former National Ballet of Canada principal dancer Joysanne Sidimus, who remembers admiring Hayden from the wings and eventually dancing on the same stage as her during her years with George Balanchine's New York company.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:41 am 

R. M. Campbell's obituary in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer includes notes about Melissa Hayden's year as artistic head of Pacific Northwest Dance when it was still under the administrative umbrella of Seattle Opera, as well as her return in 2000 to work with Pacific Northwest Ballet dancers as part of the Nancy Reynolds funded project to commit coaching sessions by the originators of roles to videotape for posterity. I enjoyed observing these sessions during which Ms. Hayden worked on sections of "Agon," "Divertimento No. 15" and "Episodes." She was a dramatic and colorful personality whose presence will be missed.

Seattle P-I

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:15 pm 

Quote:
Balanchine ballerina with 'formidable strength and attack'
by MARILYN HUNT for the Independent

Always an individualist and vivid presence off stage as well as on, with a direct way of expressing her decided opinions, in a cigarette-gravelled voice with a New York delivery, ...

published: August 14, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:10 pm 

The Winston-Salem Journal's obituary came in the form of an editorial:

Winston-Salem Journal

Profile E-mail