All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Francisco Ballet 2006 Season - general
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:16 am 

S.F. Ballet plans a season of premieres
Steven Winn, Chronicle Arts and Culture Critic
SF Chronicle

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Quote:
With the achievement of a new "Nutcracker" behind him, San Francisco Ballet Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson will spark his company's 2006 repertory season with a variety of local and company premieres, revivals of his own "Swan Lake" and Mark Morris' "Sylvia" and an all- Jerome Robbins evening. Tomasson is adding a world premiere of his own in his 21st year at the helm.

Quote:
San Francisco Ballet 2006 Season Repertory

Program 1 (Jan. 28-Feb. 4): "Swan Lake"

Program 2 (Feb. 14-25): "Magrittomania," Wheeldon premiere, TBA

Program 3 (Feb. 16-26): "Apollo," "Rodeo," Lubovitch premiere

Program 4 (March 7-12): All-Robbins program - "Afternoon of a Faun," "Dybbuk," "Glass Pieces"

Program 5 (March 28-April 8): "Allegro Brillante," "Chaconne for Piano and Two Dancers," "Sandpaper

Ballet," Tomasson premiere

Program 6 (March 30-April 9): "Falling," "Pas/Parts," "Who Cares?" 1 Program 7 (April 21-May 5): "Sylvia"

Program 8 (April 25-May 6): "Spring Rounds," "Continuum," "Reflections"

All performances at the War Memorial Opera House, 310 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco. Subscriptions for three-, five- and eight-program packages go on sale in June 2005: $26-$3,192. Single tickets go on sale Nov. 14, 2005: $8- $199. Tickets for "Nutcracker" (Dec. 2-29, 2005) are sold separately, beginning Sept. 6, 2005: $18-$140. Call (415) 865-2000 or visit www.sfballet.org.

For more, visit http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/04/27/DDGDHCENTU1.DTL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:32 pm 

More on the same from the San Jose Mercury News.

Quote:
S.F. Ballet plans all-Robbins program in 2006

By Mark Whittington

Mercury News

An all-Jerome Robbins program highlights the San Francisco Ballet's 2006 season, which is being announced today.

``Having had the privilege of working closely with Jerome Robbins while I was a dancer at New York City Ballet, I am especially thrilled to devote a full program to some of his most acclaimed works,'' artistic director Helgi Tomasson said in a prepared statement.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:33 pm 

A friend invited me to share his invitation to watch the company take class on the Opera House stage this morning, with Ashley Wheater giving the class. Except for a few minutes at a local studio, I haven't watched a ballet class in a lot of years (almost 20?) so it was pretty interesting. It was especially interesting to see which dancers adhered closely to the class as it was given and which ones modified it -- sometimes quite a bit.

During the adagio, it occurred to me to see whether I could still pick up combinations, so I sort of marked them in my seat. I definitely felt rusty at first, but by the petit allegro, I had the hang of it again.

My friend had never seen a ballet class before, and he was rapt. What a treat it must be, to see such a wonderful collection of dancers for your first sight of a ballet class! Unfortunately, the class started and ended late, and he had to leave just as the grand allegro was starting. So he missed the fouettes and grandes pirouettes at the end of class, which elicited applause from the otherwise quiet audience.

I can't name names, but one of my favorite dancers was wonderful to watch in class. His teachers must have loved having him as a student, because he works so perfectly and intelligently.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:37 am 

Gosh! Is the 2006 SFB programme so boring that none of our local posters want to comment on it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:53 pm 

Well, Stuart, it's not that I don't want to comment. It's always depressing, living so close, to see the programs for the next year and think how I'd love to go.
Swan Lake after all is still my favorite ballet so that makes it worse.
What else can I say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:46 pm 

I am interested in knowing what "Spring Rounds" and "Pas/Parts" are about. Anyone know?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:12 pm 

I believe Spring Rounds is one of the new pieces that they'll be premiering in Paris when the company is at the Etes de la danse.

I have to confess I'm always a little excited to see Swan Lake again... such a bunhead, I am...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:03 pm 

"Pas/Parts" was made for Paris Opera Ballet by William Forsythe in 2000. I haven't seen it, but here is a review from Dance Insider:

http://www.danceinsider.com/f1103_1.html

Here is the link to the full SFB press release:

http://www.sfballet.org/news/detail.aspx?id=22

An interesting morsel that I picked up - in 1987 Forsythe created a ballet on SFB called "New Sleep". Did anyone see it? From the 90s onwards, as far as I know he only created work on his own companies and Paris Opera Ballet.

Overall, there is a lot to appreciate in the new season. I'd love to see "Sylvia", but as it is too large for London's Sadler's Wells Theatre, I suspect an 11 hour flight would be necessary.

Few companies in the world could match SFB's five premieres.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:42 am 
'The People's Temple' is critics' favorite
David Wiegand

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Quote:
One of the most recognizable faces in the front ranks of the San Francisco Ballet will retire from the company at the end of this season. Stephen Legate, who joined SFB as a soloist in 1991, will enroll in chiropractic college in the fall.

Legate, who is married to former principal Evelyn Cisneros-Legate, trained at the National Ballet School of Canada and the School of American Ballet before coming to the Bay Area. He was promoted to principal in 1992. The Legates have two children, Ethan and Sophia. Cisneros-Legate is currently the ballet education coordinator for SFB.

Over the years, a variety of choreographers have specifically created works for him, including Val Caniparoli, Lar Lubovitch, Redha, Yuri Possokhov, Lila York and, of course, Helgi Tomasson.

For my money, I can never quite see Caniparoli's "Lambarena" without picturing Legate and Cisneros.

For the full Lively Arts column, go here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:42 pm 

I'm at a database training, so I forgot to log in earlier! But I think this will be a wonderful career transition for him, and I'll miss his polished style on stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:45 pm 

But not his cheesy surfer boy hair.

I also think Stephen will be a great chiropractor.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:18 pm 

Is his hair cheesy?! I must have missed that. Yes, I'll miss him too; in fact, I've missed him for the past couple of years, since he wasn't used much, unfortunately. I like his presence very much -- relaxed and unmannered.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: stephen legate
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:25 pm 
Hi!

I was always the read-only user here, but couldn't stop myself jumping in this time... Yes, I'll miss him, too. I agree with djb, his appearance was getting less and less last season. But luckily, I could see him with Tina in Lubovitch's ...smile with my heart (My Funny Valentine).

Now I must understand I was very lucky to have seen that performance....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:19 pm 

From the David Wiegand article:

Quote:
For my money, I can never quite see Caniparoli's "Lambarena" without picturing Legate and Cisneros.
I agree. Legate had such a wonderfully mobile torso in his solo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:59 am 

San Francisco Ballet voted "Company of the Year" by Dance Europe readers

SFB is the first non-European company to receive this award, so double congratulations are in order.

The full contents of the relevant issue are available here:

http://www.danceeurope.net/site/issues/093.pdf

Profile E-mail