public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: International Ballet Gala-Stars of the 21st Century
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:23 am 

<B>Leaps of Faith By Dancers and Donors</B><BR>Article in the NY Times By Anna Kisselgoff<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>New and impressive talent from Russia and Portugal studded the annual International Ballet Gala on Monday, a single-night event that was presented for the third year at the New York State Theater.<P>The evening was again subtitled "Stars of the 21st Century" and featured various pas de deux and solos from a mix of 13 American and foreign dancers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/13/arts/dance/13GALA.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Click for More</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: International Ballet Gala-Stars of the 21st Century
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:40 am 

Does anyone else think that this gala needs a little more change in its program? Nearly the same dancers seem to perform every year. Why not principals from the Royal Danish Ballet, the Hamburg Ballet, the Stuttgart Ballet, other etoiles of the Paris Opera Ballet, La Scala Ballet. A little more creativity might be helpful to present the less discovered (in the States), yet equally talented dancersof the world.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:13 am 

Paula Citron - Globe & Mail, April 27, 2002:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Dancing around the establishment</B><P>An immigrant couple put some Toronto noses out of joint with their ballet galas. Now they're the toast of two continents<P>TORONTO -- It is 1993. A Russian immigrant couple, Solomon Tencer and Nadia Veselova-Tencer, stage a ballet gala at the MacMillan Theatre in Toronto. Despite a glittering array of dancers, the couple loses it collective shirt, clueless as they are about marketing and sponsorship. Three more galas follow at the Hummingbird Centre, and while these are financial and critical successes, the Tencers still can't seem to win the respect or support of Toronto's ballet establishment. They pack up their dancers and head for more sympathetic climes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>To read more search PAULA CITRON on the <A HREF="http://www.globeandmail.com" TARGET=_blank>Globe & Mail's</A> 7 Day Search

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:19 am 

Paula Citron - Globe & Mail, May 1, 2002:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>A universe of movement</B><P>Ukrainian-born Irina Dvorovenko and Maxim Belotserkovsky of the American Ballet Theatre were the most polished couple. They sparkled with personality, tossing off the Russian tricks of Balanchine's Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, while showing dramatic flare in Maria Chimengilly's moody Farewell.<P>Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre of the San Francisco Ballet were the contemporary masters who brought down the house with both their numbers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>To read more search PAULA CITRON on the <A HREF="http://www.globeandmail.com" TARGET=_blank>Globe & Mail</A> 7 Day Search

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:25 pm 

In The Globe and Mail, Paula Citron reviews the 2003 edition of the Stars of the 21st Century Gala held May 4, 2003 in Toronto:

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030506/RVCENTXI

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:56 pm 

Ballet-starved city devours gala feast

WILLIAM LITTLER

Quote:
On a cheers and hand claps per minute basis, no other ballet event this season has approached Stars Of The 2lst Century, the benefit gala for the Koffler Centre of the Arts presented Sunday in the big theatre of the Toronto Centre for the Arts.

Not that this comes as a surprise. Without undervaluing the activities of the National Ballet of Canada, Toronto has become a ballet-starved city. The last time so many world-class dancers appeared here was a year ago on the same stage, when Solomon and Nadia Veselova-Tencer organized their first Stars Of The 21st Century gala. The Russian-born, Toronto-domiciled Tencers are old hands at organizing such events, having begun at the Hummingbird Centre in 1993 and since taken their format to stages in Paris, New York, Cannes and Monte Carlo.
click here for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:34 pm 

Just a few quick impressions on sunday evening's gala event:
~2 words: Herman Cornejo!! Unbelievable in Diana and Acteon. He danced with Xiomara Reyes, and I felt that they complement each other quite well. She has a lovely on-stage personality and her fouettes (alternating single and double) were spot on. They also danced a very short pdd called something like "Spring Water". Is anyone familiar with the music and choreography? It was not on the program (actually, it seems that there were several last minute changes), they were supposed to dance the Corsaire pdd. It was a very pretty pdd, but a bit too fast and brief to absorb.
~The only modern dancers were Linda-Denise Fisher-Harrell and Mathew Rushing from Alvin Ailey. I really enjoyed the excerpt they performed from "Revelation". The white dress for the woman is beautiful. Ms.Fisher-Harrell is a very fluid and musical dancer. I was less impressed with Rushing, who seemed to be holding back slightly. They were not always in sync, but when they were, the effect was powerful. This was my first time seeing Ailey's choreography, and it is a very different dance vocabulary compared to what I'm used to, but I liked it a lot.
~The Bolshoi sent Dmitri Godunov and Nina Kaptsova who danced La Slyphide pdd and Sleeping Beauty Act 3 grand pas. Kaptsova is very suited to Aurora, but a bit too playful as the sylph. I haven't heard a lot about her, I think she is still quite young? She is a talented dancer and exemplifies the traditional Bolshoi style. Godunov was brilliant in both pieces. His footwork in Sylphide and perfectly straight double tours in SB were magnificent (almost fell and put his hand down on one, but recovered like a prince, it did not take away anything from the performance). He was however lacking a certain level of expression, but that came out in his contemporary solo called "The Crane" to traditional Japanese music.
~The National Ballet of Cuba's Laura Hormingon and Oscar Torrado were impressive (she more than he) in Carmen and Don Q. Though they seemed to rush through the adage of Don Q, coming up to centre stage for their bow before the music had even ended!
~Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre danced the Act 2 pdd from Swan Lake, and the Lady of the Camelias. I prefered the later, in which the couple truly danced as one, and where she did not seem to be concentrating on the height of her legs, as it appeared in Swan Lake (with extension like hers you'd think you don't need to think about it!). Her hyper-extended legs create a very extreme line that seems awkward in some classical pieces, IMO. I know there has already been some discussion on this. She is a gifted dancer, but I wonder what she can do on her own. In the defile, all the dancers took the stage for a few seconds alone, but she and Cyril came out together. I don't think she would make a very strong solo dancer, but her and Cyril make a good team.
~There were also 3 Ukranian dancers and flamenco star, Antonio Marquez. He was simply amazing!
~POB was supposed to send 2 dancers, I'm not sure what happened there. Perhaps they opted out because of the WHO's travel advisory concerning SARS (it was lifted last week), which is understandable.
~All in all, a wonderful and well-rounded gala of a very high standard. (Although I thought last years was even better). I hope this will become an annual tradition here in Toronto
~Anyone in Montreal might be interested in the Gala des Etoiles which will be in September. The tickets are a steal! I don't think I can make it unfortunately, but for those who can, the cast is up on the website www.galadesetoiles.com . It includes Carlos Acosta Farouk Ruzimatov, Igor Zelensky, Sarah Lamb, and Portugal's Daniela Severian (she was at last year's Stars of the 21st Century, and is a great performer).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:16 pm 

Nikiya, Spring Waters was choreographed by Asaf Messerer (former director of the Bolshoi school, and Plisetskaya's uncle) to music of Rachmaninoff. It was a very popular item on the excerpts programs in the Bolshoi's early tours to the US (and elsewhere, I suppose). I don't know exactly when it was choreographed, but it has to have been before the '60s.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:03 am 

Quote:
A Medley of Ballet Hits Delivered by Power Couples

by JOHN ROCKWELL
the New York Times

What makes Mr. Cornejo great is that his stunts don't look like stunts but like beautiful dancing.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:56 am 

Quote:
Stars of the 21st Century, State Theater, New York

By HILARY OSTLERE
the Financial Times

... the organisers, Nadia Veselova-Tencer and Solomon Tencer, introduced works less familiar locally: Roland Petit's L'Arlesienne using the Bizet suite for an angst-ridden mini ballet with Eleonora Abbaganato and Alessio Carbone of the Paris Opera Ballet; the haunting La Prisonnière to music by Sain-Saëns; and a portion of the Carmen suite
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:15 pm 

There will be another gala in Toronto this year, on April 17 at 5:30pm.
The roster as of now is:

Bolshoi- Svetlana Lunkina and Sergei Filin
Complexions, Inc. - Desmond Richardson, Sandra Brown
Les Grands Ballets Canadiens- Anik Bissonnette and Mario Radacovsky
Kirov- Daria Pavlenko
Munich Ballet - Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre
National Ballet of Canada - Guillaume Cote
Royal Ballet- Ivan Putrov
Tango Metropolis- Pilar Alvares and Claudio Hoffman

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:11 am 

STAR TURN
By Tobi Tobias for Arts Journal

Dance fans are familiar with gala bits-and-pieces programs that showcase the more obvious gifts of a company’s stars. Stars of the 21st Century, which has become an annual affair, goes the formula one better by assembling its players from an international assortment of companies, most of them big league. This year’s version was, as usual, no more than a list of items, some worthy, some not so worthy, most overly familiar. I suppose I could organize my report on the evening around a vagaries-of-love theme, since the program’s one night stand in New York occurred on Valentine’s Day.

click for more

Profile E-mail