public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Washington Ballet Visits Cuba
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 5:52 pm 

Image <P>The Washington Ballet is to perform in an international festival in Cuba in October. This Boston Herald article comes with a provocative title, <BR>"<A HREF="http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/hotb08032000.htm" TARGET=_blank>Is `Etudes de Elian' on the program?</A>"<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 14, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Washington Ballet Visits Cuba
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 7:02 pm 

What's the url for Wash Ballet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 8:16 pm 

Incredibly their URL is simply enough,<BR> <A HREF="http://www.washingtonballet.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.washingtonballet.org/</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 2:56 pm 

Wow this is great. I believe AD Septime Webre is Cuban and what a choreographer!<P><BR>[Edited by Azlan to correct spelling]<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited August 09, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 3:25 pm 

Thank you for that tidbit, Merrill. I didn't realize there was a Cuban connection there.<P>And welcome to criticaldance.com.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2000 12:26 pm 

Here's another story.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/dance/dance_08022000_washingtonballet.phtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/<BR>dance/dance_08022000_washingtonballet.phtml</A> <P>Does anyone know if Tim Melady (Hartford Ballet, Ballet du Nord, Miami City Ballet, Maximum Dance) has joined Wash Ballet? He's a great dancer and a wonderful guy and I'd love to know if he took the job.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 14, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:31 am 

I always look for information on the Washington Ballet. I graduated from the school in 1973. Although all the people there are different now (that was many moons ago!), I try to keep up with their "happenings". Thanks for the latest news.<P>Cheryl B.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 8:24 pm 

Septime was the director of American Repertory Ballet in Princeton, New Jersey before he assumed the position of AD at Washington Ballet last year. His choreography is very contemporary, very fresh and athletic. The picture above is of one of Septime's works. BTW, I hear through the grapevine that a SF Bay Area company is in the talking stages to acquire one of his works. As for the origin of Septime's name, I don't know that answer. But I can tell you that several ballet companies in the US have his choreography in their repertoires.<p>[This message has been edited by Merrill (edited August 10, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 5:34 pm 

Yes, Grace, you are correct.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 7:21 am 

Lots of issues embedded here. (Grace: Washington School of Ballet is where Victoria Leigh teaches.) Note the latest chapter in l'affaire Neary among the CBC headlines.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2000 11:40 pm 

The Miami Herald gives the background to Washington Ballet's visit to Cuba. To most of us in Europe this example of opening up links between these two important cultures is a very good sign. My jazz loving friends tell me that the Cuban musicians are on a par with the Americans. <P>At one time such a visit would have been unthinkable, but I get the impression that there is significant change of view taking place in the USA. <P>What is the impression of our US readers?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The appearance at Ballet Nacional de Cuba's 17th International Festival is the brainchild of Washington Ballet Artistic Director Septime Webre, whose Cuba-born mother moved here in 1959.<P>Webre, 38, first visited Havana a year ago, where he met legendary ballerina Alicia Alonso, and was returning today to put final touches on the Oct. 23-29 trip, spokeswoman Judy Keyserling said. <BR>``We are excited about mixing Cuba's world-class ballet and Latin flavor with our Company's energy and Septime's firebrand creativity,'' said Martin Cohen, executive director of the ballet, in a statement. ``Most of all, we look forward to reconnecting two rich dance cultures for the benefit of art everywhere.''<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.herald.com/content/today/docs/014845.htm" TARGET=_blank>Now read on</A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:21 am 

Washington Ballet currently sits in Cuba, departing approx. 7 hours late from Miami International last evening. A couple of their dancers have danced with Maximum here in Miami, most notably Tim Melady (formerly of Hartford, Miami City and Ballet du Nord in France), and the mood of those we were able to visit with was an infectious excitement, not only for the trip, but the make-up of the company's travelling companions. In addition to the standard fare of company folk, Washington Ballet arrived with presenters and their own Washington Post journalist on the trip. Keep an eye out for the stories of this important and exciting opportunity not only for Washington or ballet, but the use of the arts to warm frosty foreign relations, just as sports once did.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 10:09 pm 

Keep us posted, Shag. You've just been designated our point man for this momentous occasion. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 4:56 pm 

As I posted sometime earlier - I gave my story of Alicia Alonso coming here to San Diego (yes, we are in the United States) back around 1979 - so Cuban artists have been coming this way - or at least some of them have. <P>Now, what we really have to get are their baseball players - the San Diego Padres could use some help.................

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:52 pm 

<P><B><A HREF="http://www.nandotimes.com/noframes/story/0,2107,500272869-500425833-502661485-0,00.html" TARGET=_blank>Washington Ballet breaks ground by dancing in Cuba</A></B><BR>By ANITA SNOW, Associated Press<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 25, 2000).]

Profile E-mail