public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PNB Sleeping Beauty
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 9:00 am 

One more review of opening night:<BR> <A HREF="http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?slug=pnb03&date=20010203&query=Pacific+Northwest+Ballet" TARGET=_blank>http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cg i-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?<BR>slug=pnb03&date=20010203&query=Pacific+Northwest+Ballet</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited February 05, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 2:09 pm 

I attended the Saturday evening performance, February 3. Lisa Apple was radiant throughout and well-matched in her partnership with Christophe Maraval. Ariana Lallone repeated her opening night performance as Lilac Fairy; and Olivier Wevers had an enjoyable time as Carabosse. Two standouts among the Prologue fairies: Jodie Thomas as the Fairy of Joy (as quick as a firefly!) and Mara Vinson as the Fairy of Wit. In Act I, the Garland Dance was enhanced by the addition of students from PNB School. Ms. Apple acquitted herself admirably in the first section of the Rose Adagio, and grew in strength and confidence from her success, to the point at which in the final allegro immediately leading to the finger prick, she was positively in command. (This was, after all, her first public performance of the role ever, anywhere.) In Act 2, Mr. Maraval had success in creating a three-dimensional character out of the role of the Prince. Although he has many assets worthy of note, he has a pair of the most splendid feet on display anywhere. For Act 3, Carrie Imler was outstanding, partnered by Batkhurel Bold and Casey Herd in the Gold & Silver pas de trois; Rachel Butler and Astrit Zejnati were splendidly feline in the Puss in Boots variation; and Jodie Thomas and Jonathan Porretta were absolutely unsurpassed in Bluebird pas de deux. Mr. Poretta, a corps member, has a most splendid line, elevation and ballon for this role. Ms. Thomas and Ms. Imler are on the fast track to become principals. The final pas de deux and closing segments were everything that one could wish to see. The company has been superbly coached by Mr. Hynd, Ms. Page, and Amanda Eyles, a choreologist from the Benesh Institute, who has performed outstanding work with the company, training and coaching a style of articulation, attack and speed that is fundamentally different from the company's Balanchine base. She has succeeded admirably.<P>I plan to attend again this Wednesday, when Louise Nadeau and Jeff Stanton are paired in the leads and again at the Sunday matinee to see Patty and Stanko.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 2:40 am 

Francis, you mentioned the contribution by Amanda Eyles as being quite significant. Would you say PNB was perhaps handicapped (if that's the right word here) by a predominantly heavy Balanchine style prior to her coaching?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 3:48 am 

Many thanks to Francis and Dave for providing such in-depth coverage of the PNB 'Sleeping Beauty'.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 7:53 am 

Ms. Eyles spent the preponderance of her time working with the corps to achieve a classic Royal Ballet look. Obviously, this is a contrast to the look that PNB is best known for, which is the Balanchine look, emphasizing speed and attack. The upper body carriage, a particular style of epaulement and port au bras, is quite different from what is usually asked of them; pirouettes were notably slower; and the movement in general was more regal, deliberate and calculated to highlight the mime sequences and emphasize the narrative elements. Ms. Page, in an interview, was very complimentary toward the company and the facility with which the dancers adapted to the new elements being asked of them, and pointed out that the uniform excellence of their training made it a pleasure to work with them to achieve the desired style.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 10:49 am 

Hi Francis...<P>Sorry, I am not very often on the computer anymore, and I am not able to keep in touch much...Sorry !<P>I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Sleeping Beauty, it is a beautiful production. Also glad to hear you'll try to catch different cast...The 4 of them are great, Louise and Lisa very beautiful, but Kaori is really stunning in it !!!<BR>Hope to see you backstage some day soon...<P>Olivier

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 11:12 am 

I knew I'd get caught if I didn't promise to see all four casts Image. Although the schedule is very tight for me this week (NDT is also in town this weekend, plus a Seattle Symphony performance on Saturday), I'll make an effort. I'll be backstage prior to the Sunday matinee with a tour group, Olivier. My best wishes to you for continued success in your performances!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:17 am 

My first indication that cast changes were in store for Wednesday evening was seeing the designated Prince for the evening, Jeff Stanton, standing in the lobby in street clothes, chatting with audience members. In the absence of any posted cast changes, I assumed that since he did not go on until 9:00 p.m., there was no reason to be in makeup and costume at 7:00. In the auditorium, as the house lights descended, the ubiquitous announcement regarding no photographs, silencing watches, pagers and cell phones was followed, after a pregnant pause, with a rapid-fire list of cast changes. Louise Nadeau and Jeff Stanton would not be performing; Lisa Apple and Christophe Maraval would reprise their roles from Saturday evening's performance. Lisa (scheduled to perform Lilac Fairy) would be replaced in that role by Kimberly Davey. The biggest workout would be for the excellent Batkhurel Bold, who replaced Christophe as the Lilac Fairy Cavalier and the Duke of Aquitaine (in Act 1), and repeated his success from Saturday evening as one-third of the Gold & Silver pas de trois (again with Carrie Imler and Casey Herd). Mr. Bold is a very unselfish -- even self-effacing -- performer possessed of extraordinary skills. He deserves consideration as a principal in the near future. I do not know the reason for (presumably) Ms. Nadeau's withdrawal (injury? sudden indisposition?).<P>In any event, it was interesting to compare Saturday's first-ever performance by Lisa and Christophe with the second performance following a four-day interval. In some respects, their performance has gained in confidence. One area that I had hoped would improve (but had not, as of last night) was Lisa's security in the first-act balances with the four dukes in the Rose Adagio. The en couronne balances were as quick as possible and the level of tension was high and visible in her face, neck and shoulders. Admittedly, her four dukes were different from those with whom she had performed on Saturday and at least one appeared to push her slightly off her center on the promenade. If all of this sounds hyper-critical, this is not at all my intent in pointing to these possible shortcomings; but rather to illustrate an area that still has a threshhold to cross. As with Saturday evening, her performance grew in confidence and strength as the evening progressed. Mr. Maraval handled his duties with ready dispatch, with the exception of an apparent concentration lapse toward the end of his variation in the Act 3 pas de deux -- perhaps occasioned by a slippery spot downstage center? (Hopefully there are no ill effects from this near-mishap.)<P>Stewart Kershaw was in the pit. Tempi were moderate by his usual standards, although perceptably faster than Alan Dameron's reading Saturday evening. (The evening clocked in at exactly three hours on Wednesday; three hours and 20 minutes were required on Saturday.) The orchestra, which had never played this score prior to the rehearsal period (usually two rehearsals) for this series of performances, was augmented beyond the usual number of players and continues to refine and hone its performance.<P>Among the excellent (but altogether too brief) variations from the Prologue fairies, should be mentioned the Fairy of Temperament of principal Kaori Nakamura, along with the Fairy of Joy of Tempe Ostergren (attracting my favorable notice for the first time) and the Fairy of Wit of Carrie Imler. Even in this brief appearance, Ms. Nakamura displays markedly superior sense of correct style, particularly about the turn of the head, the neck and the shoulders. Others could learn from her.<P>Our featured Bluebirds for the evening were Noelani Pantastico (yet another outstanding recruit via Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet) and Astrit Zejnati. Both remain in the corps and merit a look at promotion to soloist. While Mr. Zejnati did not complete all 24 brises voles (due, in part, to running out of space), he displayed excellent elevation, ballon and overall line. Ms. Pantastico's performance surpassed my expectations; so clearly and solidly were her line and execution etched in space. She also impressed me with her musicality.<P>Unless someone advises me otherwise, I will assume that all bets are off regarding casting arrangements for the remainder of the run and shall stick with my plan to attend the Sunday matinee, for which I have already acquired tickets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 8:34 am 

Sandi Kurtz reviews performances featuring Patricia Barker/Stanko Milov as well as Lisa Apple/Christophe Maraval:<P> <A HREF="http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0106/arts-kurtz.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0106/arts-kurtz.shtml</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 11:42 am 

Francis, thank you for the descriptive notes. Now I wish I had gone up to Seattle.

Profile E-mail