public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFB's Nutcracker 12/19/99
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 1999 12:47 pm 

I can think of many different ways that could make the SFB's Nutcracker an even better show. It closes its curtains in a farewell performance on December 31, and audiences will be presented with a totally new production in December 2000. The San Francisco Ballet is indeed due for a new Nutcracker! The production is definitely traditional and rather old-fashioned compared to the many versions that US companies have adopted over the past few decades, making this century old tradition into a very exciting and new ballet to watch. But back to my original perception, this production is in general an average Nutcracker. I can't think of anything special or unique about it, except maybe the dancing partner of the Doll in the First Act and who proudly graces the cover of the Playbill. Special applause to Joanna Berman - Sugar Plumb Fairy -, Katita Waldo -Snow Queen-, Michael Eaton, Gonzalo Garcia and Jonathon Shockley (Russian Cossacks). Keep up the good work!

Post subject: Re: SFB's Nutcracker 12/19/99
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:19 pm 

Cygnet, you know I always thought if there was something missing from SFB's Nutcracker. I always enjoyed the spectacle of the sets and costumes. I also always thought the dancing was exceptional. However, I never did get quite the "oomph" from it that I always do from watching other works. I thought it was because I was tired of The Nutcracker but your comments make me wonder if it's not the "staleness" of this particular production. And don't ask me what I mean by "staleness"...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 1999 1:34 pm 

Yes, Azlan, I agree the costumes and sets are outstanding, and the dancers are wonderful.<BR>But if this production was 'naked', there wouldn't be anything there to see! It would be an equivalent to a minor company's school production, to my standards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 1999 9:36 am 

I see. So you think the choreography needs revamping. Well, then maybe it *is* a good thing that they are doing a new production next year.

Profile E-mail