It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New York City Ballet-Saratoga 2003
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:50 am 

Quote:
'Symphony in Three Movements' a wake-up call for eyes and ears

MAE G. BANNER
Saratogian

Here's what George Balanchine said about "Symphony in Three Movements," his startling abstract work to Stravinsky's music... <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9875440&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17776&rfi=8 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:53 am 

BBalletFan,

Quote:
who cares if one anonymous person did or didn’t like a particular piece, it would be more useful to know what the dance was like, how the dancers performed.....
I think it does matter. Most dancers and choreographers I know care a lot about what the audience likes or dislikes. Yes, knowing the details of a performance is useful too but not if the "review" is dry with no emotional attachment.

Quote:
I’ve reached a point in life where I can enjoy the moment or concentrate on remembering the details, and I’ve opted for enjoying the moment.
LOL! I think that's what a few critics are missing, especially the jaded ones.

<small>[ 21 July 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:16 am 

Quote:
Gala begins with nice 'Liturgy,' swells to awful ending

MAE G. BANNER
Saratogian

The annual Ballet Gala is the occasion for New York City Ballet and the Saratoga Performing Arts Center to pull out all the stops. Showy dances, favorite dancers and a Saratoga premiere or two are the expected fare. <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9880068&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17776&rfi=6 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:18 am 

Quote:
Inside Saratoga: Ballet gala guests sparkle under the stars

JEANNETTE JORDAN
Saratogian

As Saratoga's race season inches closer, so do the galas. One of the most memorable each year is SPAC Action Council's Ballet Gala dinner, which was Saturday night in the Hall of Springs. <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9880067&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17776&rfi=6 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:31 pm 

Quote:
Charming 'Coppelia' has enduring appeal

JOSEPH DALTON
Albany Times Union

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- When the curtain went up on New York City Ballet's "Coppelia" on Tuesday night at SPAC, it was like a beautiful children's book was opening its colorful pages. <a href=http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=153930&category=PERFREVIEWS&BCCode=&newsdate=7/23/2003 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:55 am 

HI!
Some brief notes from Saratoga-I will post my formal reviews after I'm home & have better internet access.

I seem to have brought the rain to Saratoga with me. My last and only previous trip, in 2000, coincided with a massive day-long downpour that "swamped" the gala performance and the earlier matinee. It's not much better now, though at least it's just very damp and cloudy.

The rain held off during the actual performance last night, but it's damp and looks like rain is coming this morning.

Megan Fairchild ia apparently scheduled to dance Swanhilda in all four performances of Copprlia this week. It's not clear whether or not the casting for Frantz (Woetzel & Millepied) will be changed, however.

Especially with two performances today, it's interesting that no one else was cast as Swanhilda to replace the injured Ansanelli. Borree, who did dance in "Carnival of the Animals" last night, may well not be recovered enough from her injury to attempt a full-length role. Jennifer Ringer is the only other dancer in the company to have done the role (recently), and it may have been to complicated casting/rehearsal wise for her to dance. It just shows how complicated casting can be, since not only must a dancer be suited to a role and learn the steps, but there also must be enough rehearsal time, an appropriate partner available, appropriate costumes on hand and enough flexibility in the casting so that the recasting does not overstress anyone dancer or create to many other changes in casting. It's even more complicated now, as the dancers are headed straight to Russia, and have to be rehearsing for that week.

The performance last night (Wednesday) seemed well attended given the iffy weather, with a very enthusiastic audience. I couldn't see the balcony, but except for the sides, the main level was very full and there were people on the lawn.

Chaconne was well done, though it it was not
the best performance of the ballet I've ever seen. Some of the dancing appeared a bit loose, not surprising since the SPAC stage is notoriously slippery and the very damp weather was probably making it even worse. Amanda Edge and Antonio Carmena stood out in their brief pas de deux-he has such exuberance in his dancing, and she was very precise.

The corps in Symphony in Three Movements was a bit ragged, but the three main pairs were excellent. Jennifer Tinsley capably replaced Alexandra Ansanelli, though she seemed to be a bit big to be paired with Tom Gold. Wendy Whelan and Jock Soto were fabulous in the main pas de deux, and it was a joy to see Jared Angle back onstage.

The audience seemed to love "Carnival of the Animals", but I thought it lost some of it's punch at SPAC. First of all, Andrea Quinn is apparently not here at SPAC, at least this week, and it didn't seem like Richard Moredock was entirely comfortable with the score (which was at least partially arranged by Andrea Quinn). In several sections, the dancers and the music ended at different times, and also the music didn't seem to have enough energy & volume to fill the ampitheatre.
Also, the production seemed a bit overwhelmed on the SPAC stage, which appears to be wider and deeper than the NYS Theatre. There is very little set in the ballet, and so the stage needs to have a very cozy feeling. Some of the sections seemed to loose effectiveness because there was so much empty stage, and the music seemed distant and diffused in the large ampitheatre.

Jennifer Ringer made her debut as the mother, a role which was originally set on her before she was injured early in the spring season. Aaron Severini also debuted as one of the mice, a role which I suspect was also set on him (since the mice are the shortest corps men). Overall, though not the best I've seen the ballet performed, it was delightful and the dancers seemed to be having fun with their roles.

Coppelia this afternoon and tonight!
Cheers
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:24 am 

Thanks, Kate! And here are a couple of articles:

Quote:
'Coppelia' is a magical evening of dance

MAE G. BANNER
Saratogian

SARATOGA SPRINGS - Sugar and spice.

That describes the dancing of Megan Fairchild in "Coppelia," the pastoral-comical ballet performed by the New York City Ballet Tuesday night at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9893460&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17776&rfi=6 target=_blank>more</a>
&nbsp

Quote:
Ballerina still in awe of being a member of NYCB

MAE G. BANNER
The Saratogian

"Carnival of the Animals," a new ballet by Christopher Wheeldon, promises to be the "hot ticket" of the week as New York City Ballet winds up its season at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9893452&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17776&rfi=6 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:33 pm 

Hi!
More quick notes...

Megan Fairchild was delightful this afternoon. She looked a bit tired by the end of the final pas de deux, and I hope she has enough energy to get safely through the ballet again this evening (as far as I am aware, Ansanelli is not dancing).

She managed all the tricky steps, though with experience there will be more flow. However, for a corps member in the company less than two years, Fairchild did a tremendous job. She is really tiny, and that may be an issue if she dances with Woetzel again tonight. Even on pointe, she was shorter than Millepied and he had to lean way over to set her back on pointe or lift her up from the waist. However, her small figure made the leaps into Millepied's arms very dramatic and the lifts were extra easy (at least they appeared that way).

Millepied, for his own part, was also in fine form. The stage was probably quite slippery, as thunderstorms have been passing through all day, which made his performance all the more impressive. I got the feeling, that like many of the dancers, the strange stage set up was making him a bit unsure of the placement of certain steps. The seats at SPAC stretch very far to the sides, and to allow the people in those side seats to see the production, the set is placed farther back on the stage and the front three wings are undecorated and narrower as you go towards the front of the stage. The result being that the ballet seems rather distant, and the dancers seem not as sure how far foward to dance. They have the stage to dance farther forward than the set extends, and some exits are into the forward wings, but it must be very strange to dance way in front of the set that normally is right next to you.

Cheers!
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:37 pm 

Quote:
Animals hold sway in ballet's 'Carnival'

JOSEPH DALTON
Albany Times Union

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- It's the homestretch for New York City Ballet's run at SPAC which ends Saturday. The finale for Wednesday evening's performance was the long-awaited "Carnival of the Animals." <a href=http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=154362&category=PERFREVIEWS&BCCode=&newsdate=7/24/2003 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:25 am 

Greetings!
I'm beginning to wonder how many articles the Albany Times-Union critic will write before he realizes that it is Wendy WHELAN, not Whalen.

Major kudos due to Megan Fairchild for TWO wonderful performances in Coppelia yesterday. There were a few minor bobbles in the evening performance, but otherwise a fine performance.

Woetzel was in top form, with stunning pirouettes and double tours during his first and third act solos. It's amazing how fast he rotates, and at one point in the series of double tours that snap to second position on the landings, he did a double tour-double tour-second position, right into a perfectly balanced multiple pirouette. He also made the most of the acting parts, providing a different and intriguing interpretation of the character of Frantz. I did feel that there was as much chemistry between Woetzel and Fairchild (he is nearly twice as old as she) as there was with Fairchild and Millepied, but it didn't affect the enjoyment of the ballet.

LaFosse was also excellent as Coppelius, showing more tenderness than in previous performances this year. There was one fairly unnerving moment in the second act when Austin Laurent, who was dancing the acrobat doll, slipped very awkwardly going up into one of his high splits during his solo. Something was clearly wrong, and LaFosse spent a while talking to him while "straightening" him out (after Coppelia's friends had turned all the dolls on). Kudos to him for managing to sit through the entire rest of the act, a good 15-20 minutes, as if nothing had happened. Laurent did not reappear in the third act, and I hope it is not a serious injury.

The third act solos were all well performed, with Carrie Lee Riggins as the Spinner, Aesha Ash and Seth Orza in Discord and War (Orza was ON in the evening performance!), and Lindy Mandradjieff in the Dance of the Hours. The final pas de deux looked had a few less than completely smooth moments in the end, but Woetzel was a gracious and accomodating partner and Fairchild danced with aplomb.

Kate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:42 am 

Quote:
John Lithgow's elephant steals the show in 'Carnival of the Animals'

MAE G. BANNER
Saratogian

Thousands of people filled the amphitheater at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center Wednesday night, buzzing with anticipation at the chance to see the SPAC premiere of John Lithgow in Christopher Wheeldon's new ballet, "Carnival of the Animals." <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9900378&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17776&rfi=6 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:44 am 

Quote:
Scene and Heard: The New York City Ballet for Dummies

THOMAS DIMOPOULOS
Saratogian

For three weeks in July, SPAC belongs to the New York City Ballet and its orchestra. <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9900382&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17776&rfi=8 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:31 pm 

Greetings!

Three cheers for Megan Fairchild who danced Swanhilda in four performances of Coppelia over just five days, including two in one day. In the three performances I saw, she was excellent, showing few signs of tiredness and developing her characterization over the five days. While I do think it unwise to put such strains on any dancer, let alone a very young corps member, Fairchild met the challenge and then some!

No news on Austin Laurent, and with the masks that the "dolls" wear, it was difficult to tell who was dancing the various roles today. The dancer performing the acrobat role appeared very uncomfortable-stiffer in the splits and sitting very hunched over on the cushion. There were also some lapses in the performance of the Chinaman doll today, and since Allen Pfeiffer has always performed that role to such perfection, I wonder if there were replacements or switches in the roles of the various dolls. In anycase, I hope Laurent is OK, as he has received his corps contract.

The dancers are off to St. Petersburg after tonight, so best wishes for safe travels!

Kate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:18 pm 

Quote:
Meet NYCB's prince of partners

MAE G. BANNER
Saratogian

New York City Ballet principal dancer Philip Neal is seen dancing in “Mozartiana. PAUL KOLNIK/For The Saratogian
Tonight, New York City Ballet takes its final curtain call of the season at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9905811&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17776&rfi=6 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:49 am 

This year's season was a hit financially - an important point these days:

NYC Ballet at SPAC sees jump in revenue
From Albany Biz Journal

The Saratoga Performing Arts Center saw a significant increase in attendance and revenue for the New York City Ballet's 2003 season this summer.

Attendance increased 7.6 percent to 55,496 from 51,558 in 2002. Revenue increased 13 percent for the three-week residency to more than $1.2 million compared to nearly $1.1 last summer.

click for more

<small>[ 31 July 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail