public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baseball Ballet?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 3:10 pm 

"Read all about it!"<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"It’s a classical ballet. It’s danced on pointe,"<BR> Fleming said by phone from Philadelphia. "The<BR> pitcher has a big developpe, lunge and attitude to<BR> the Habanera and March of the Toreador from<BR> Carmen.’ The base-running is chasse and turning<BR> steps to a waltz by Tchaikovsky.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com:80/entertainment/index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e19ohio.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cleveland.com:80/entertainment/index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e19ohio.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Baseball Ballet?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 3:50 pm 

Momix brought their full length baseball piece to London a few years ago. perhaps it was the fact that we have so little exposure to the game, but nobody enjoyed it much, even the usual Momix fans, like me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 10:37 am 

From the Los Angeles Times:<P><BR><B>THROWN FOR A CURVE IN BASEBALL</B><P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Here's a riddle that sounds like it's about sports and dance, but in fact it's about neither--Momix's touring show "Baseball." This 1995 evening-long collage of images, slides and vintage baseball sound bites is a riddle because it has none of the game structure of the sport it's named for, and few of the bodily pleasures of dance, and yet it seems to want to encompass both.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR><A HREF="http://www.latimes.com/cgi-bin/slwebcli?DBLIST=lt01&DOCNUM=5835&DBPUB=20010122ZCTraQFw&QDesc=Thrown%20for%20a%20Curve%20in%20%27Baseball%27" TARGET=_blank>MORE</A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:05 pm 

I saw the Momix baseball program a number of years ago in New Orleans. It was a huge hit here. But New Orleans is a pretty rowdy crowd. I must admit, though, I did get a kick out of the beer cans dancing to James Brown's "I Feel Good." (I was raised on Motown). <P>Personally, I think I've always wished the two could blend. As a little girl, I was weaned on baseball. My mom joined me up with my brothers in "The Knothole Club." After coming home from watching many legends play ball, we used to say, "Mom, we got bleached in the bleachers again today." <P>I've been to ballparks all over the USA, have visited the Babe Ruth Museum, took in the "Diamonds Are Forever" art exhibit in Baltimore (the poster hangs in my living room) and I have as many baseball movies as I have dance movies. <P>My former director used to say he needed to choreograph a piece for me in which I could wear a baseball hat. Then, when we were stitching our Uzbekistan headpieces one day, he said, "Christina, try putting this on with your baseball hat over it! Nope, looks more like the Foreign Legion. Oh well." <P>Incidentally, I have, in my children's book collection, a book called "Baseball Ballerina." And, one of the most exquisite dancers I ever took class with is even more of a baseball fanatic than I. So we're out there. <P>Hey -- another "incidentally"-- did you ever notice when someone is off their turns on a particular day, it's often because they're "winding up for the pitch"?? This seems to happen to even well trained dancers when they're a little tired and trying to give themselves a little push.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 2:00 pm 

I am also a lover of baseball. I have a picture of a pitcher in an almost perfect attitude penche'. I think there are many similarities.<P>We also called that no-no of an added push for a pirouette - a "wind-up". <P>And a triple attitude turn sur la pointe is surely a grand slam.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 2:37 pm 

Haven't seen this and don't think I would, I hate to be the cranky one but sports and dance, ughhh! Aren't we deluged with enough sports? (Ok, ok, I'm just bitter because I just finished watching a video where someone talked about how much better watching basketball is than dance...)<P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 2:58 pm 

Marie -- I think what Basheva and I mean, if I can speak for her, is our love of the game itself. <P>The eulogizing of professional sports figures, even the decent ones, is way overdone. <P>By the way, one of my siblings was named lawyer of the year in his state recently because in 1992 "he envisioned a scholarship program that would reward the academic excellence of high school seniors" and because of his "disenchantment with the extravagant rewards heaped on athletic all-stars while academic all-stars were ignored," thus leading to his creation of this country's first community-based scholarship fund. Currently, more than 175 companies and individuals contribute their time and money to the foundation. Each year, the multiple honorees are presented with scholarships at an elegant banquet that features keynote speakers such as Nobel Prize winners, etc. <P>So, I hope you see it's what left of the beauty and purity of baseball that I love and not just sports in general, esp. those of the professional ilk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 3:02 pm 

'..how much better watching basketball is than dance...' <P>That's plain ridiculous! Now if he'd said cricket....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 4:58 pm 

That's what I love about you all - you just make me disolve in laughter.<P>And, yes, Christina you have it right - I love the game of baseball. <P> OK - I am going to say it straight out (ducking as the bricks come flying in) I see some similarity between baseball and ballet.<P>Most of the players have been doing this since they were very young.<P>Most of them are obsessed with the game.<P>They deal in minute details - really infinitesmal details that affect the outcome of the game.<P>It's a lot more tawdry behind the scenes - lockerrooms and dressingrooms have a lot in common.<P>They sweat a lot. <P>Except for the big leagues - the minor league players ride around all night in buses just like dancers touring the hinterlands going from stadium (theater) to stadium seeing very little of the cities and towns they are in.<P>Again except for the big leagues, they are at the mercy of managers (artistic directors) and gone at someone's whim.<P>Most of them don't make it. And have very little to fall back on. <P>When the cheering stops they go back to lonely hotel rooms.<P>They get injured - and it can end a career.<P>Luck can play a big part in what happens to them.<P>Again - I am talking almost exclusively about the minor league players - and that is where most of the players are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 9:24 am 

Yeah,but do we dance in South America during the off season?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 11:18 am 

We don't have an off season - and the really dedicated baseball players don't either - LOL.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 2:39 pm 

Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre has a Mighty Casey ballet...based on the poem. They will be performing it this spring in honor of the opening of the NEW baseball stadium here in Pittsburgh...not to be confused with the NEW football stadium opening here this fall

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:08 pm 

i might add that ruth page choreographed a piece in the 1920s that was entitled 'the flapper and the quarterback'.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 4:14 pm 

San Diego would be hard pressed to perform anything in our new baseball stadium, since it ran out of money after a few pylons were in place, back in October. But that's ok - the money was really supposed to go for a new central library - which isn't being built either.

Profile E-mail