home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raisa Struchkova Died
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:05 am 

Quote:
Raisa Struchkova Dies at 79; Ballerina Who Leapt Into Husband's Arms
by ANNA KISSELGOFF for the New York Times

Ms. Struchkova was highly praised at home for her classical dancing, especially in "Giselle" and "Cinderella." But for American audiences who were stunned by the athletic vigor of the Bolshoi at its New York debut in 1959, Ms. Struchkova will always be associated with the high-flying virtuosity that she showed in Soviet-style bravura duets with her husband, Aleksandr Lapauri.

published: May 4, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:07 am 

I loved watching Struchkova in the film version of "Cinderella" and in the excerpts from "The Stone Flower" in "Bolshoi '67" (both are available on video). She was one of those dances who express, above all, the joy of dancing. I'm very lucky to have seen her on the Bolshoi's first tours to the US.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:00 am 

Quote:
Raissa Struchkova
by MARY CLARKE for the Guardian

She and her husband, Alexander Lapauri, established a remarkable repertory of virtuoso pas-de-deux show stoppers... the Moszkowski Waltz, choreographed by Vasili Vainonen, full of leaps and thrills, and ending in amazing fashion as Struchkova threw herself horizontally through the air, to be caught, nonchalantly, by Lapauri on an extended arm.

published: May 6, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:49 pm 

Another truly great Russian ballerina has left the world...I loved her in the Cinderella film, too. My Mom took me to see it whenever it was playing at the theatres when I was growing up. She will be sorely missed by many...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:16 am 

Former Bolshoi ballerina and teacher Raissa Struchkova died on 2nd May. Here is an obituary from todays Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 13,00.html

Raissa Struchkova
Russian Ballerina of unsurpassed daring and virtuosity who thrilled British audiences with her Bolshoi performances. From The Times:

WHEN the Bolshoi Ballet made its thrilling debut in the West at the Covent Garden Royal Opera House in October 1956, its great ballerina Galina Ulanova won such universal high praise on opening night that spectators later in the season tended to disappointment if they found she was not dancing at their performance. But that disappointment almost certainly vanished after they had seen Raissa Struchkova, who took turns with Ulanova in the roles of Juliet and Giselle, or was herself the first cast in The Fountain of Bakhchisarai.

click for more

Last edited by Stuart Sweeney on Thu May 12, 2005 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail