public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Francisco Ballet Gala 2002
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:53 pm 

Image <P><BR><B>Program and casting is now out for San Francisco Ballet's opening Gala on Jan 30:</B><P><BR>• "The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude" by Forsythe<BR>• "Without Words" pas de deux by Nacho Duato, performed by Katita Waldo and Parrish Maynard<BR>• "Aquilarco" by Val Caniparoli, performed by Stephen Legate and Kristin Long<BR>• "The Dying Swan" by Michel Fokine performed by Muriel Maffre<BR>• Grand Pas de Deux from "Paquita", performed by Lorena Feijoo and Vadim Solomakha<BR>INTERMISSION<BR>• A world premiere by Helgi Tomasson (set to Bartok)<BR>• "Light Rain" excerpt by Gerald Arpino, performed by Lucia Lacarra and Cyril Pierre (SFB premiere)<BR>• "La Cathédrale Engloutie" by Stanton Welch, performed by Yuri Possokhov and Yuan Yuan Tan<BR>• "Later" by Mark Morris, performed by Joanna Berman (world premiere)<BR>• "Star & Stripes" excerpts (Men's regiment, pas de deux and finale) by George Balanchine.<P>Wow! Now that's a full evening. As always, there may be last minute changes...<P>ME Image <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Admin (edited February 04, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: San Francisco Ballet Gala 2002
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:43 pm 

Wow! But "Stars and Stripes" again... It seems everyone is doing this piece now, as a finale of a gala or a celebratory program. I guess that's to be expected these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:43 pm 

And, oh, I am dying to see Muriel as the "Dying Swan." (Pun not intended.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:18 pm 

It's all about who does El Capitan and Liberty Belle. I'm fine with seeing it again as long as the dancers are jazzed. And Muriel is wonderful. I'm curious to see her approach on this though. It seems atypical for her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:58 am 
The program sounds great but Stars and Stripes is an embarrassingly bad ballet. Why people even think it in any way reflects this country, its history or people is beyond me. If it weren't by Balanchine it would have ended up on the choreographic dustbin years ago. Believe it or not, a ballet like Gerald Arpino's Trinity says more about America in one minute than Stars and Stripes ever could. <P>I am very glad they're bringing back The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude and Without Words. They are wonderful works and SFB danced them beautifully.<P>------------------<BR>cheers,<BR>ralph<p>[This message has been edited by ralphsf (edited January 18, 2002).]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:51 am 

Well, Stars and Stripes is a closer, if ever there was one. <P>I agree about Trinity though. NOw THAT was a fantastic work! Does anyone do that piece anymore?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 11:52 am 

RalphSF, I have to respectfully disagree with you about Stars and Stripes, which has been a favorite ballet of mine since the age of 12. You're right, it doesn't really reflect this country, which is part of what makes it so great: It's an *outsider's* view of the country, and a very loving and gently teasing one.<P>A great closer, and better still, the perfect opener: How many ballets out there could set the evening off with the same bang "Vertiginous" offers. I'm taking someone with no ballet-watching experience, and I'm thrilled to know he'll be hooked immediately by the Forsythe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:35 pm 

Belinda-<BR>Re: Stars and Stripes - beautifully said. <P>:-) <P>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:22 am 

I agree with Belinda on this one. I love "Stars & Stripes", esp. the Finale, which they are doing. I look forward to it.<P>Incidentally, I have heard that Ms. Maffre is getting some coaching from Jocelyn Vollmar. Informally, I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 2:35 pm 

That's great about Jocelyn coaching Muriel. I'm shocked at the 'briefness' of the interview with Jocelyn on the SFB website(is it still there?) In my mind Joce IS San Francisco Ballet! :-) <P>DH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 11:32 pm 

So... call me a dork but what can one expect from attending the Gala party?<P>You see, I've never attended a professional ballet before, but have always loved it since I was a kid and, as a present to myself, I subscribed for the 2002 SF Ballet Season, and my parents bought my Gala ticket for me as a Christmas present.<P>So. I have no idea what to expect. If anyone would like to help a poor, very green college student out by telling her what goes on at a gala, it would be greatly appreciated.<P>Thanks in advance.<P>Katie.<p>[This message has been edited by evagation (edited January 20, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:00 am 

STARS AND STRIPES is wonderful ballet. Balanchine had an amazing way of moving huge groups on the stage. It is so heart warming to see how much he loved his new home, America.<P>In my opinion, Gerald Arpino's TRINITY is a great ballet too. It was revived by The Joffrey Ballet of Chicago in 1999 and 2000.<P>As far as I know, the only other company to perform TRINITY is Dayton Ballet. <P>Mr. Arpino allowed Dermot Burke's company to perform TRINITY this past fall in exchange for Dermot's help in setting ASTARTE which JBC will perform this spring.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:43 pm 

Katie, the gala will be a dress-up affair; men in tux and women in evening gowns. There will be champagne served during the promenade which begins at 7pm and during the intermission. More champagne, desserts, and dancing will be had after the performance.<P>Here are threads from previous years:<P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum4/HTML/000634.html target=_blank>SFB Gala 2001</a><BR>(includes dolling up tips...)<P><a href=../../../ubb/Forum4/HTML/000046.html target=_blank>SFB Gala 2000</a><P>Katie, the SF-based CD members are attempting a meeting point (um, well, I think MEHunt wants to show off her killer dress). Send MEHunt or myself email if you want to join in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:37 am 

Erm... could I get away with a knee-length black velvet dress? It's not an evening gown but... poor college students who never went to their proms don't have ready access to cheap evening gowns.<P>Thanks so, so much for the links to the threads about the previous galas. I read them thoroughly and now feel a little less green, and a lot more excited.<P>Katie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:52 am 

Evagation- <BR>You'll be fine to wear that to the Gala. Not everyone is in a tux (me for one) and/or gown. It's San Francisco for goodness sakes. One sees a variety of apparel at such events. Go, have fun and enjoy the evening. Gala evenings can be a lot of fun. <P>D

Profile E-mail