public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unforgettable Performances
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 3:42 am 

Grace, you'll smile at this one!<P>Many moons ago in Houston (where I was raised; now I find myself in Canada) I saw Fonteyn and Nureyev in Swan Lake. It was about 1969 or 1970. Friends of my parents took me and we had absolutely awful seats (last row of the second balcony). Although I had never been to a ballet before I knew that I was seeing something very special and the experience has obviously lingered in my memory for some time! <P>More recently my daughters and I had the opportunity to see the NBOC's Nan Yu (I believe that's the correct spelling) debut in Oneigin...This was an amazing performance. Her tecnical ability is probably flawless,but what amazed me was her emotional portrayal of the character. It was extremely moving, and unlike anything I have ever seen. There was a standng ovation, and I believe she was promoted to first soloist the following day.

Post subject: Re: Unforgettable Performances
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2000 1:21 pm 

mom2, thanks for those two memories. <P>I've been thnking about Miyako Yoshida in the RB/Macmillan's R&J. Not every part suits her, but this one fits like a glove. Her smallness enables her to bring credability to the role and her technical brilliance gives her easy mastery of the choreography. Irek Mukhamedev as Romeo impressed a friend of mine, who is not an Irek fan, for the way he did all he could to enhance Yoshida's performance.<P>More than anything else though, it was the restrained emotional power of her acting that made the biggest impression - from the giddy schoolgirl of the early scenes to the final tragedy as, dying, she hauls herself slowly across the tomb to touch Romeo's hand. Anyone in the theatre without a tear in their eye should have been tested for a heartbeat. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail