public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Ballet Theatre's 'Le Corsaire' 2002
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:22 pm 

Originally posted by Stuart in the ABT 2002-03 thread:<P><B>Real-life love fuels passions of dancers in 'Le Corsaire'</B><BR>By Barbara Hoover / The Detroit News<BR>American Ballet Theatre in 'Le Corsaire' <BR> <BR>8 p.m. Thursday-April 6, 2 p.m. April 7 <BR>Detroit Opera House, <BR>1526 Broadway, Detroit <BR>Tickets $17-$75 <BR>Call (313) 237-SING <P> <BR>In the ballet Le Corsaire, the dashing pirate hero locks eyes with a beautiful slave girl. They fall in love instantly. <BR>In real life, for two dancers who play those roles, love took a little longer to catch fire. You'll see them when American Ballet Theatre brings its production of Le Corsaire to the Detroit Opera House Thursday through April 7. The ballet offers six major roles -- a chance to see several top ABT stars at every performance. <BR>At Thursday's opening, it's the real-life lovers who lead the cast. They are Maxim Belotserkovsky, as the pirate Conrad, and Irina Dvorovenko, as the slave girl Medora.<P><A HREF="http://detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0203/29/e01-451869.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: American Ballet Theatre's 'Le Corsaire' 2002
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:23 pm 

Also originally posted by Stuart:<P><B>Delightful 'Le Corsaire' does everything right</B><BR>By Barbara Hoover / Detroit News Dance Critic<P><BR>DETROIT -- American Ballet Theatre's production of the full-length Le Corsaire has everything. <BR>It features ravishing sets and costumes from Russia's Bolshoi Theatre, a sweeping romantic score, and, most important, spectacular dancing. Le Corsaire, which most ballet fans know only from the bravura duet that is frequently performed at ballet galas, opened the American Ballet Theatre's run Thursday at the Detroit Opera House and will be repeated tonight and Sunday. <BR>The full-length version is an old-fashioned romantic ballet at its best. The story, about a pirate chieftain (the Corsaire) who falls for a slave girl and steals her, only to have her stolen back, and then to steal her again, could not be sillier.<P>But it provides lots of opportunity for designer Irina Tibilova of the Bolshoi to create terrific, atmospheric sets, including a Middle Eastern marketplace, a seaside grotto and a pirate ship plunging through a storm at sea. Tibilova's costumes are equally lovely, even if for much of the ballet the two featured slave girls are preposterously dressed in tutus and sparkly tiaras. <P><A HREF="http://detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0204/06/d03-458454.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:23 pm 

Was this aired recently on PBS?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:39 pm 

The one recently aired on PBS was:<P><BR>le corsaire complete kent stiefel corella herrera malakhov american ballet theatre<P>And, of course, I taped it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:52 pm 

There's a lot of good dancing in that performance. One of the things I like best is the interviews with the performers and others involved with the production, asking them to explain the story of Le Corsaire. The plot is so convoluted that almost everyone interviewed was tongue-tied trying to make sense of it. In the long run, it doesn't matter; the dance is what triumphs. But those interviews are hilarious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:55 pm 

Sorry, I made an error....I did not tape this off a PBS broadcast. I bought this tape very recently. It was performed in 1999.<P>And Nancy is right - the interviews are really terrific.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:59 pm 

Looks like ABT will be treating southern Californian's to "Le Corsaire" in July. They'll be appearing at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles July 11 - 14th. <P>I can't get the link to work, so here it is:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.musiccenter.og/abt.html" TARGET=_blank>www.musiccenter.og/abt.html</A> <P>They're also looking for women up to 25 and men up to 30 to be supers in the performances. Big sign at my studio this morning. It had my whole class going nuts until we saw the age requirements. <P>Ed<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:34 am 

Here is the link:<P><A HREF="http://www.musiccenter.org/abt.html" TARGET=_blank><B>ABT at the Music Center Los Angeles</B></A><P><BR>I suppose I should get tickets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:28 am 

Image <BR><font size=1>Medora (Julie Kent) and Conrad (Ethan Stiefel)</font><P>On the PBS website you can view a video clip of Ethan Stiefel performing the "Victory Dance" from Act III of "Le Corsaire." <BR> <A HREF="http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/lecorsaire.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/lecorsaire.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:43 am 

I have my tickets for the LA Music Center and am going for the evening performance on Saturday the 13th of July.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited July 06, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 am 

I'll be there twice - Thursday night 7/11 with work then Friday night 7/12 for fun! <P>I'm looking forward to seeing Paloma Herrera as Medora on Friday night. And Gillian Murphy will be Gulnare on Thursday; she was absolutely mesmerizing as Odette when ABT last came to SoCal in February.<P>--Art

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:07 am 

Hi!<BR>Interesting casting for the Los Angeles performances of "Le Corsaire". No Vladimir Malakhov and no Julie Kent, and four different Lankendams. I would assume that Malakhov has artistic director responsibilities back in Germany, but the other omissions seem strange. However, Kent almost always is "Medora" to Stiefel's "Conrad"-is she injured? Corella has partnered Herrera in the pas de trois, but will she be a new "Medora" for Stiefel?<P>It's disappointing to see Sean Stewart being given only one performance of Lankendam, but ABT obviously wanted a chance to show off some more of its' male talent on the west coast. West coast ballet fans are definately missing out by not getting to see Acosta or Malakhov.<BR>I look foward to hearing all about the performances!<BR>Kate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:32 pm 

Julie danced Odette/Odile last night for ABT's final performance of the NY season. There was no evidence of injury (that doesn't mean she's injury-free; I've seen dancers push through to the end of a season against all odds). Perhaps she has other obligations? Who are the other Medoras scheduled for the West Coast?<P>I read that Sean Stewart is leaving ABT. I was kind of hoping they'd give him something meaty in Swan Lake for his last night, but they didn't. I didn't realize he'd still be dancing with them on this tour. I'm glad he'll be featured at least once.<P>I agree, Kate -- too bad about Malakhov and Acosta. But there's plenty of talent to showcase. I don't think the West Coast will feel cheated, do you?<BR> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:32 pm 

Hi!<BR>Yes, Sean Stewart is leaving ABT. The Los Angeles performances are the last of the 2001-02 year for ABT, and 2002-03 year will start with the tour to Japan. I wasn't aware that the news about Sean had been made public, but that's why I was sad to he's only getting to do Lankendam once. Where did you read about his departure?<P>I'd be very surprised if Julie Kent was dancing elsewhere, but it's not impossible. I think that Wiles and Herrera are splitting the Medoras in Caifornia.<BR>The West Coast is definately getting great "Le Corsaire" casts, though putting Acosta and Corella together lifted the ballet to new heights. <BR>Kate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:31 am 

I believe the news of Sean's departure was in a NY Times review; I can't remember if it was Kisselgoff or Dunning who mentioned it, but I think it was towards the end of last week. It mentioned that Rosalie O'Connor is leaving as well. Another "touch of class" gone. I hope we'll at least be privileged to see her dance photography in the future.

Profile E-mail