public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Val Caniparoli/Diablo Ballet at Zellerbach 1/13/01
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2001 5:45 pm 

Image <BR>Choreograoher and SFB Principal Character Dancer Val Caniparoli<BR>Photo by RJ Muna, courtesy of SF Ballet<P><BR>An article on Val Caniparoli, who is a hot young choreographer at the moment:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>A dancemaker in his prime</B><P>Rachel Howard, SF Examiner<P>...his works provided some of the highlights of the 2000 dance year in the Bay Area, anchoring programs at Diablo and Oakland ballets and at the Lawrence Pech Dance Company. Meanwhile, ballet companies continue to clamor for rights to Caniparoli's 1995 "Lambarena," the work that made his name. Nine ballet companies worldwide now have it in their repertories. But the trim, raven-haired character dancer is still struggling with the realization that he's joined the ranks of established American ballet choreographers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://63.78.169.150/style/default.jsp?story=X0111VAL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited January 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Val Caniparoli/Diablo Ballet at Zellerbach 1/13/01
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 8:47 pm 

Well, I must say I really like Val Caniporali's "Open Veins." As a local dance critic pointed out to me, Diablo Ballet has strong men and should be able to pull this work off. And that they certainly did, giving this work justice in its West Coast premiere.<P>Once again, I've recused myself. A review from one of our correspondents is forthcoming however. And other comments are welcome. Belinda? DavidH? Lucy? Kim? Jodi? JillV? Michael? Bee Bee?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:33 am 

Image <BR>Richard Marsden, now a Diablo Ballet dancer<BR>in NYCB's Les Gentilhommes (by Peter Martins)<BR>Photo: Steven Caras<P><BR>A review from the SF Chronicle:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Sadness, Wisdom Course Through Diablo's 'Veins'<BR>Caniparoli dance highlights Zellerbach program</B><P>Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle<P>The West Coast premiere of a powerful 1997 ballet by Val Caniparoli was the highlight of Diablo Ballet's return to Zellerbach Hall on Saturday night. <P>"Open Veins," originally choreographed for the Atlanta Ballet, entered the Diablo repertory alongside revivals of ballets by Nikolai Kabaniaev, Norbert Vesak and Kelly Teo. It was a fine and varied program, and there was a delicious take on Kabaniaev's little jazz gem "Bach de Trois" danced by Corinne Jonas, Lauren Jonas and Richard Marsden. But it was definitely Caniparoli's show.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/01/15/DD108256.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 8:10 am 

Yes Azlan, many comments and they aren't pretty. In short, I felt it was one of the worst examples of ballet programming I have seen in a very long time. By the end of the evening I'd felt as if I'd watched the same ballet four times in a row, even down to the lighting design. On a more positive note, the dancers danced beautifully, especially Corrine Jonas, and the house was full- always a good thing.<P>DH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 8:29 am 

I liked Val's work very much. I am so impressed with Diablo's men. Marsden is a welcome addition to an already strong group. I really like this company, for my money they are the ones to watch in the Bay Area. Oh.... do I need to mention that Lawrence Pech started the Co?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 9:39 am 

LOL on the judicious Pech mention, Lucy! I'm afraid I have to agree with David. This was not a case of truth in advertising: ballets like "Dancing Miles" and "Bach de Trois" do not represent the "Best of Diablo Ballet." Both of the works' choreographers, Teo and Kabanaiev (spelling? sorry) show promise but these early forays really shouldn't be shown in Zellerbach Hall. Putting two early works by two company choreographers on one program even strikes me as a bit indulgent. "Dancing Miles": towards the end almost all the action takes place at the very back of the stage--not very exciting for the viewer. The costuming hurt this piece, too. The black velvet vests were too loose and sloppily constructed, and the brightly colored bike shorts didn't flatter the dancers.<P>My favorite dancers in this co. are Tina Kay Bohnstedt and Corrine Jonas. But the tricky "Belong" pas de deux, danced by Bohnstedt and Kyungho Kim (if I remember correctly here) looked under-rehearsed. Some of the partnered pirouettes careened off-balance.<P>Now I have to be honest and fess up: I was so worn-out by the programming that I left during the second intermission, even though I love Caniporali's work and thought "Open Veins" was riveting when I saw it on video.<P>I have enjoyed this company in the past--particularly during their Thanksgiving program--and as far as the first four works last Sat. go, I think they're better than this and will prove so in the future.<P>These comments are rushed! Apologies!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 4:51 pm 

We very much enjoyed the Diablo Ballet's January 13 performance at Zellerbach. The programming was interesting, varied and accessible and the company did a fine job in executing it. While "Open Veins" seems to be getting most of the play here, we particularly enjoyed the "Bach de Trois" and thought that "Dancing Miles" was both visually arresting and entertaining.<BR> I'm a little ashamed to say that this was our first time viewing a Diablo Ballet performance, but we'll be back!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 3:46 pm 

I am writing today in regards to the latest Diablo Ballet production. I am a first time viewer of the Company, and I have to say that the performance was exhilarating! I especially enjoyed Bach de Trois. The music to classic Bach with the mixture of jazz was fantastic. The movement of the dancers was clean and distinct. The entire piece seemed to be well thought out and well executed.<BR>I also enjoyed sitting in the house during the performance. The audience seemed to be riding the wave of the performance; breathing and cheering and clapping along with the program. For the past 27 years, I have been around the world, watching ballet, and the latest performance of the Diablo Ballet was one of the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 4:21 pm 

Welcome to the board Ken and B Tendu - glad to have you join us and have you post your comments.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 9:20 pm 

From my perception, the programming may have been constrained by budgetary considerations, particularly the fact that the company decided to do away with live music. Some works, especially classical, orchestrated ballets, suffer in quality when performed to taped music; performing such works without a live orchestra would have been a huge compromise for a company of this caliber. Given this consideration, I think it was amazing that the audience was indeed enraptured by the performance, as indicated by the posts above.<P>In my personal opinion, the live music was one thing that distinguished Diablo Ballet from many other ballet companies. It remains to be seen whether the exclusion of an orchestra will affect their next show. For more information about the upcoming show in March, read the <B><a href=../../../ubb/Forum13/HTML/000110.html>Diablo Ballet press release</a></B>.<P>In related news, it was announced that Diablo's assistant AD, Kelly Teo, was one of only four recipients for the prestigious Choo-San Goh grant awards. <B><a href=../../../ubb/Forum13/HTML/000109.html>More</a></B>.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited January 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 7:06 am 

Is it so necessary for DavidH to make these nasty jabs at Diablo Ballet? Perhaps DavidH is unaware of what goes into programming for specific venues. I am possibly a little sensitive to negative remarks since I often read reviews where the dance reviewers make these blanket insults but never really explain themselves and so revealing their ignorance to the big picture of ballet and the work that goes behind a production.<P>And, yes, the dancers looked great, especially Erika Johnson and Corrinne Jonas in the Kelly Teo piece. Also, it is always a joy to watch the Jonas sisters together on stage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 8:30 am 

Teddy-<BR>Nasty jabs? Hardly. DavidH volunteers for the Diablo Ballet. Is/was a professional dancer,figure skater and choreographer.Coached skating for 6 years and has taught technique and pas de deux in a number of ballet schools in the San Francisco bay area. <BR>I certainly understand the "big picture' that you refer to. It was either here or over at the other dance board that a long thread on programming was done. While I would have enjoyed any one of these ballets on there own (except the Belong pas- it's staging is ill conceived in MY opinion and I learned it from the choreographer when he staged it for the Marin Ballet!) I found as a whole they-the ballets- did not compliment each other. A mixed program, in MY opinion, should be comprised of a variety of styles and music (and lighting design - if possible) and at least one ballet should,what I call, anchor the program(i.e a ballet of stature and craft, like Apollo, a classical pas de deux,etc.)For ME it was all fluff and no substance. <BR>Lauren and I have a long history together and she's incredibly gracious in the way that she receives comments, critisicms and compliments(of which I give her lots of-compliments that is.)<BR>So, the balls in your court now Teddy.Tell me WHY you liked the program so much. <P>Regards,<BR>DavidH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 11:26 am 

Azlan,<P>Thanks for the report on the live music situation. It would be such a shame to see this company lose that (unfortunately increasingly rare) component of their performance. I have seen them perform wonderfully to live music in the past. It can make such a difference. I would also like to say that I agree the programming was excellent for first (or second or third, etc.) ballet-goers. Diablo obviously knows its audience well, and that's a special asset. Few programs please everyone--but I think it's best if viewers react as individuals, speaking from their honest reactions, rather than echoing the overall audience response. It's all such a sticky matter! And this forum is so wonderful for working these things out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 11:55 am 

Thanks everyone for your passionate responses (isn't this great?) but I would hope we keep the passion focused on dance and not let it get the better of us in this forum.<P>Whatever the case, it seems that everyone here thus far agrees that Val Caniparoli's "Open Veins" was wonderful to watch. Well, you are in for a treat, as he will be premiering a new work for his own company, San Franciso Ballet. For news of this new work, go to the <B><a href=../../../ubb/Forum4/HTML/000642.html>SFB 2001 Season thread</a></B>.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 3:12 pm 

Wow! Are we talking about Ballet or business? It is Art after all. And a beautiful one. Of course an Orchestra is a wonderful addition to any dance company but it is not what makes a ballet performance great. To me, it's about a visual and spiritual experience that captivates you. It's also about live contact with an artist. Diablo dancers are not only mature professionals but they also look like interesting individuals. I like to see real people on stage.