public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:11 pm 

Backatcha, balletomaniac.

What an incredible season! I was flipping through my Playbills trying to identify the highlights. The problem is that nearly every performance was a highlight in some respect. What stood out was how from our disappointments of not seeing favorite dancers due to injuries (or having a baby) came tremendous joy when soloists stepped in to bat in addition to performing their assigned duties.

What an astonishingly talented group of soloists: Saveliev, Radetsky, Hallberg, Abrera, Part, Riccetto, and that Ms. Wiles.

Given the extent of the disabled list this year, it would probably be asking too much for a 10 or 12 week Met season - although I believe Ms. Chase had a 10 week season at the State Theater for a significant anniversary one year. We can dream, can't we?

Does anyone else recall a defining moment for the season?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:47 am 

The NY Times sums up the 2005 Met Season:

Quote:
A Time for Blockbusters and for the Guys to Shine

By JOHN ROCKWELL
Published: July 18, 2005

Fall is for dances; spring is for dancers. That's one bit of conventional wisdom about American Ballet Theater's fall season at the City Center and its spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House. Another is that while the company's female principals and soloists may be of variable quality, its males are sterling.

To judge from the eight-week Met season that ended on Saturday, both assumptions are true, but they need refining.

Click here for more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 am 

Two articles from the Washington Post:

Amanda McKerrow's Ethereal Farewell

By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 16, 2005; Page C01

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Having just danced an impeccably tender and lyrical "Giselle," it was Amanda McKerrow's turn to stand back and watch as her colleagues put on an entirely different kind of show on the Metropolitan Opera House stage.

The curtain that closed on the ballet's final scene Thursday night also closed on McKerrow's 23-year career with American Ballet Theatre. It was a career that was set ablaze when she made jaws drop throughout the ballet world by winning a gold medal at the Moscow International Ballet Competition back in 1981, when she was 17. A career that began with dance lessons in the cafeteria of her elementary school in Rockville and progressed to the Washington Ballet, to ABT and, through touring and guest-star invitations, to all the great stages of the world.

More...

The Ballerina's Exclamation Pointe
Amanda McKerrow's Last Dance Is the Role That Defines Her

By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 13, 2005; Page C01

NEW YORK

Quote:
Her swan tutu is off, the comfy orange and brown coverup is on, and the Band-Aids have been peeled from her blistered toes. In her dressing room at the Metropolitan Opera House, Amanda McKerrow is winding down from one of the last performances of her 23-year career with American Ballet Theatre.

More...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:23 am 

I agree that it was a remarkable season. From Gillian Murphy's bravura Sylvia; to Radetsky's coming seemingly from nowhere to deliver outstanding Rothbarts and Hilarions; to Corella, Cornejo, Carreno; to the continuing promise of Sarah Lane; to Vishneva's Kitri, to Vishneva's Swan, to Vishneva's awesome Giselle (I can't believe I'll ever see a finer portrayl of Giselle - but I haven't seen Cojocaru's Giselle yet); to Amanda's glorious and celebratory Giselle (having an opportunity to witness her final ABT performance -- wonderful; seeing her deliver a superb performance -- fantastic; feeling, and seeing, the genuine affection between an audience and a performer -- priceless); the season left vivid and joyous memories. And although the dancers deserve the accolades, credit should also go to Kevin McKenzie, who put it all together (particularly considering the many injuries this season). Thanks and gratitude to all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:52 pm 

Joan Acocella reviews "Sylvia" in The New Yorker:

New Yorker Sylvia Review

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8