public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Baryshnikov vs. Bujones
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:29 am 

Yep - that's the one - .......one of my favorite tapes.<P>As you can see Bujones came on before Baryshnikov - doing that same combination - double tour (thanks David) into pirouette. Double or triple it is still devilishly difficult to do.<P>The look on Misha's face is GRIM. <P>This was not only the last time he and Gelsey danced together, but as I remember it, he was about to leave ABT to dance with NYCB. She had recently left NYCB to join ABT - particularly to dance with Baryshnikov. So there were a lot of undercurrents going on all through that performance. I think she was very upset/sad - and it really comes through in her dancing. The adage section of Theme and Variations is an legato song of lament. It is truly one of those memorable moments of dance for which we all wait.<P>Also as I remember it, Gelsey had been trying to inform Misha how Balanchine wanted this danced. After all she was very knowledgeable about Balanchine choreography. In the past Misha had helped her with Petipa choreography, since that was his area of expertise. While she accepted his coaching - he would not accept hers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 7:44 am 

Thanks, pmeja, for your research on that tape, and Basheva, for your kind offer. It sounds as if the behind-the-scenes story was as exciting as what was happening onstage! I do remember conversations with ABT people about Gelsey's attention to detail. I can see her being open to Baryshnikov's coaching (and Baryshnikov not being open to hers...). <P>OK, so we have the "Two B's." Shall we take on music's "three B's" and come up with our own dance trio? <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:21 am 

HOld on folks--not so fast....no one has answered my question!! Help..WHERE is Bujones now? Someone mentioned that he directs a company---where? Anybody???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:43 am 

I have not yet had the opportunity to read, thoroughly, all of the comments above. However, I would like to point out that Bujones was very much a married man, while Misha, soonafter his arrival, became entrenched in the Studio 54 'family of regulars,'which also lent to his notoriety. The Andy Warhol diaries, which were published after his death, are indicative of a very public, temporal and incestuous lifestyle, of which MB was very much a central part. Had Bujones been a part of this scene, it certainly would have led to more recognition. <P>I saw Bujones dance at 18, when the audience echoed "oohs" and "ahhhhs" due to the fireworks he created with his elegant and powerful jumps. He sustained in the air. But I again saw him at 32 and he elicited equal critical acclaim in "Swan Lake" because he danced with maturity and grace a part of the ballet often left out that required more acting and mime and not always considered as important an aspect of the ballet. <P>I do know, from taking class in the Princeton area about 12 years ago, that Bujones was very active in that area of the country, as was Gregory Hines, at that time. He, like Cynthia Gregory, was guesting, sometimes in smaller, but still appreciative venues.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:47 am 

Bujones is AD of Southern Ballet Theater in Florida. Gelsey used to teach at its summer ballet intensive but I hear she won't be there this year. I THINK this is Bujones's first year as AD there.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2001 7:50 pm 

In the course of making a copy of the tape that we talked about in above posts, my husband and I watched it again - we hadn't done so in a while.<P>It is every bit as beautiful as I remember it. Gelsey, glorious lyrical Gelsey!! The adage section of Theme and Variations is a dream. Baryshnikov is terrific. Also on that tape is Gelsey Kirkland and Baryshnikov doing Jerome Robbins "Chopin Pieces". <P>In the Don Quixote Pas de Deux Natalia Makarova just sparkles with saucy impudence, and Bujones is a marvel - he truly is. This was performed in 1978 - and the technique looks fresh and wonderful. Not dated at all. <P>My husband and I have seen Don Q dozens and dozens of times, but this is our favorite. It is, as I remember it, the first performance after Makarova had a baby three months or so before. <P>And the adage section of Theme and Variations brought tears to our eyes, even after all this time and all these viewings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 3:47 pm 

I had the privilege of catching up with the video tape last night (thanks, Basheva!). The passage for the two B's was double tour followed by pirouette. Bujones "fancied" the arms in Don Q and alternated single and double pirouettes. Baryshnikov stuck to single pirouettes, I think, in Theme and Variations. That's the way I remember it being done by other dancers, too. Both men were spectacular. <P>So was the rest of the performance, including interviews during intermissions with Gelsey, Fernando and Eric Bruhn. Gelsey in Theme was a joy to behold. And, like Basheva, my thought was that the technique looked incredible, all the way through. Not only in the adage section, which is one of my favorites, but in the fiendishly hard allegro sections, Gelsey kept me on the edge of my seat. I saw Theme last fall, with a very proficient cast. But this performance reminded me of what it was all about. And I believe I spotted Cynthia Harvey in the corps, which was fun, since she went on to do a very beautiful job in the lead several years later. Makarova was gorgeous. They all looked great.<P>Re: Chopin Pieces, it looked a lot like Robbins' Other Dances, or excerpts thereof. Does anybody know?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:40 pm 

Nancy - my pleasure, you are very welcome.<P>I adored the interview with Makarova - when she got all caught up in her baby's schedule - I thought that was a terrific. Gelsey was so charming too. When she said that she was so stunned about being on the cover of Time Magazine, she actualy stopped working for five minutes!! Bujones had several cordial things to say about Baryshnikov.

Profile E-mail